1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Ricmotech RS1 to 2dof seat mover with traction loss

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Stephen Robotham, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Stephen Robotham

Stephen Robotham Active Member

Balance:
    140Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Hello all, I have been sim racing for quite some time now. Probably around 15 years or more. I started out with some cheap off the shelf no name wheel and currently have a Thrustmaster t300 alcantara edition with bodin solutions load cell brake mod and th8a shifter mounted on a playseat revolution with transducers and sim commander. I am ready to take the next step to motion, I have been searching around the internet for a few years now and been looking through forums on this website for about a year and this website has given me the confidence to finally attempt this. I have a Ricmotech RS1 cockpit that I will be converting to a seat mover and will later add traction loss.

Here is my progress so far.
    20180310_152041.jpg 20180311_105953.jpg 20180311_152226.jpg 20180311_171236.jpg 20180318_145150.jpg

Here is a list of items I have ordered.

3 180 hall sensors, should be here by the weekend.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/SENSOR-HAL...941338?hash=item5b38add91a:g:FsAAAOSwBt5ZJG5J

1 U-joint Moog Precision 5-153X (Arrived)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/369-Univer...ash=item3f9406c1fa:g:NjoAAOSw1JhZZRZ7&vxp=mtr
    20180327_124946.jpg

2 World American 2-2-479R (Arrived)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/WORLD-AMER...ash=item4669f265dd:g:aEUAAOSw-URZtf-M&vxp=mtr
    20180327_125034.jpg

Still need to order 3 motors.
    ttps://www.ebay.com/itm/GEAR-MOTOR...992384?hash=item51bd392f00:g:nOwAAOSwPhdVCxQg

I have already ordered 4 HP DL 360 power supplies, 1 as backup and I have received 2 so far.
    20180327_124118.jpg

I ordered 2 adruino uno and 4 monster moto from alice1101983 on ebay.

I ordered 8 SQ10RS off aliexpress, should be here next week.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...857f274&transAbTest=ae803_5&priceBeautifyAB=0

Any help would be appreciated, and if there is anything that looks better than what I am
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  2. armpit

armpit Active Member

Software Engineer
    Balance:
    - 8Coins
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    This build is going to look REALLY familiar to me :)
    I sent a reply to your private message about my specific measurements. Really excited about seeing your build come together!

upload_2018-3-12_21-59-50.png
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Stephen Robotham

Balance:
    140Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Thanks so much, the info you sent is going to be invaluable and hopefully save me a bit of guess work. I also plan to do traction loss. Do you have any plans to do that?
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. armpit

armpit Active Member

Software Engineer
    Balance:
    - 8Coins
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I'm considering it, yes. It's not firm in my plans yet, I have a few other electronics projects I am working on right now before I can start something like that.
    If I do it will have to be very low profile to still be able to slide under my desk for when friends sensitive to VR sickness come over and I only have about 2 inches to play with. I think it'd basically be a fishing boat seat swivel (similar to amazon.com/Attwood-17720-Boat-Seat-Swivel/dp/B001O0D6SI ) set up under the pedal area on a triangular plywood base that sticks out wider in the rear to act as a track for it to slide on.
    I feel like there's a better design out there, let me know what you come up with too.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  5. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I advise the Sabertooth route over JRK or MM's

And I highly suggest a flanged pillow block bearing over a lazy susan for TL pivot.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. Stephen Robotham

Balance:
    140Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I was gonna get a lazy susan, but I will take your advice. What size pillow block bearing do you recommend adn do you have any to any?

What is needed to setup the sabertooth? I was leaning towards the jrk's just for ease of setup, but I don't want to compromise quality and reliability?
  7. Stephen Robotham

Balance:
    140Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I saw on another build thread, that he was gonna use a 1" pillow block bearing. Does that size sound good because I have found a couple reasonably priced. So I would have 1 as a spare as well.

I also see where he was gonna use stud mounted ball transfer 1" instead of casters, is that good, because I also found some of those at a good price as well and would get 4, 2 for front and 2 for rear.

Still not sure about the electronics side of things, that's where i'm having most difficulty understanding and deciding whats best for what i'm trying to do.
  8. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Yes 1" Flanged pillow block bearing will be fine. You will Not need a spare on that bearing with the use we are using them for.

Im not a fan of those "ball transfer" They are meant to be used with Many Many Units, where as with our setups unless you set it up as such, you will be maxing out the weight loading on them and it wont be as smooth as bearing supported Castors.
  9. Stephen Robotham

Balance:
    140Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    After doing some more research after the recommendation from @Nick Moxley , I will be going with the sabertooth 2x32A for my main motors but still not sure what to run for traction loss. What are you guys running and how is the power and reliability?
  10. Stephen Robotham

Balance:
    140Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I am getting ready to order my motors but first just wanted to make sure what I was doing was correct and there wasn't a better option. I am planning on getting 2 25:1 for the seat movers and 1 50:1 (The ones from pgsaw) for the traction loss. Is that a good way to go or should I get all 25:1 or all 50:1?
  11. Stephen Robotham

Balance:
    140Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I currently have 2 HP DL 360 700 watt power supplies. Can these be used in parallel to power my 3 motors or do I need to get another power supply for the traction loss motor?
  12. Stephen Robotham

Balance:
    140Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Okay, I never received any response to my last question, so I just ordered 2 more power supplies. Better to have too much than not enough. I have finished welding up a seat frame (actually bought a welder and started teaching myself to weld just to do this). Hopefully the welds will be strong enough, if not I can just do them over.
    20180318_145150.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Stephen Robotham

Balance:
    140Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    2 HP DL360 (DPS-700GB) 700w power supplies in hand and 2 more on the way. Should be getting some more parts today.
    20180327_124118.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  14. armpit

armpit Active Member

Software Engineer
    Balance:
    - 8Coins
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I missed the notification for that question! Yea, I would have recommended going to one per motor, if for nothing else then ease of wiring - hooking up server power supplies in parallel can be a little funky unless you find a manufacturer wiring diagram or another member's build that shows how to connect them in parallel. The 1400w from two of them should be enough even with power spikes for three motors if you do find how to wire them in parallel and need to save space though.

Noticed you never got an answer on the motor gear ratio question either; I personally have 25:1 and think they are perfect for a shoulder-mounted seat mover even with me being a heavier guy; but if you get the 50:1 you can always just make the lever arm coming off of it longer to get the same mm/s motion rate that you would get with a shorter lever on the 25:1. From what I have seen, most people here with seat movers tend to go with the 25:1 from pgsaw, not sure about the traction loss, I'd play that one safe with the 50:1, but interested in hearing from others.

Looking forward to seeing more updates!
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  15. Stephen Robotham

Balance:
    140Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the reply, I have now been thinking that if I decide to upgrade to a 6dof down the line (Knowing myself I probably will at some point), the 50:1 would be better for that. So I am thinking to just go with all 50:1.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Stephen Robotham

Balance:
    140Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
  17. Stephen Robotham

Balance:
    140Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I now have all power supplies in hand with one as a backup.

20180329_123315.jpg

20180329_123244.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Stephen Robotham

Balance:
    140Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Couplers are here waiting on the pots and motors.

20180329_123432.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  19. armpit

armpit Active Member

Software Engineer
    Balance:
    - 8Coins
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    What kind of pots did you decide on? Are you going all-in and getting hall-effect?
  20. Stephen Robotham

Balance:
    140Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018