1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Arduino Data Logger idea for Video Ride Creator

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by yobuddy, Mar 25, 2016.

1. cgodwin

cgodwin Active Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    2,478Coins
    Ratings:
    +278 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    So @eaorobbie is going to work on an Arduino based recorder. I'm going to look into writing an app to accomplish something similar with a phone, although I'll be going through a learning curve so that might take me a little while to sort out. I think it is a good thing to have a couple parallel paths.

Anyone else planning on jumping in on doing actual development for this project? @bruce stephen, @Blame73, @BondeX, and @BlazinH all chimed in with suggestions, but are any of you interested creating this thing?
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. bruce stephen

bruce stephen Hammer doesnt fix it, must be electrical

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,238 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    @cgodwin looks like you got it covered. I look forward to your results.:thumbs

Although I did find an app that logs user defined sensors as well as tell you which ones are on your device and available for use, it allows a parameter for sample rate but requires a set recording length.
    it is called sensor suite and exports .csv and sqlite files.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  3. cgodwin

cgodwin Active Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    2,478Coins
    Ratings:
    +278 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    There are quite a few apps that seem to almost do what we want. There are several called Sensor Suite that might do the trick for Android, but only a reduced version is available for iPhone. There are at least a couple dozen data loggers for the iPhone (I'm an iPhone guy) that look like they might do what we want. I'm going to test a few of the free ones first and see if any of those are sufficient.

It looks like these apps generally support a maximum sampling rate of 100 Hz. That matches what @yobuddy was calling out in his original post. Do we need this kind of speed, or could the sampling rate be slower? I've got my JRK updating slower than that (50 Hz maybe?), and I'm not sure all phones can handle 100 Hz. A quick check of the Arduino solution using a MPU-6050 Gyro-Accelerometer indicates that 100 Hz should be possible with that approach.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,211Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    I have created the Video Ride Creator / Player to work with any capture frames per second up to 100.
    So anything from 1 to 100 would be valid for the Video Ride Creator / Player.
    I have seen that allot of commercial video cues use a standard of 30 capture frames per second.
    And I have seen some at 100.

So the default should probably be 30, with a user selectable range from 1 to 100.
    (your right, 100 out runs a lot of interface controllers.)
    I just think that 100 would be the fastest we would ever really need.
    Dustin
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. cgodwin

cgodwin Active Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    2,478Coins
    Ratings:
    +278 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I've testing a few existing iPhone apps (I'll test Android at some point in the future). The best one I've found so far is a free one called PowerSense that seems to do everything we need. User settable sampling rate up to 100Hz, and outputs a CSV file that is easy to work with. I can open the file in Excel and quickly remove unnecessary columns (things like magnetic field) and format the data to work with Video Ride Player. That file formatting could be automated pretty easily to streamline the process.

One awkward thing is trying to synchronize the data file with the video. The data collection has to be started first, and then switch apps to the camera and start the video recording. At the end, the video has to be stopped first, and then the data collection. How I have worked around this is to smack the phone to create a start point that is visible in both the video and the g-force readings.

While this solution works, it is still awfully temping to write a custom app, that could hopefully control the video and motion data collection together, and provide a file already in the exact format SimTools needs. But best to test this with existing software, and once that is working I can look at improving the user experience, possibly through a custom app.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    I'm interested but don't have time atm. I think it should be pretty easy to do on an arduino though if someone already has experience working with sd cards and I2C interfaces; of which I don't.
  7. Wanegain

Wanegain Active Member

Balance:
    1,947Coins
    Ratings:
    +297 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF
    Hello !

I was working on this project.
    I never finished it...

I am using an Arduino Nano + GY521 MPU6050 + SD Card + LCD.

A friend developed an app exclusively for this use for Android phone. It's still a wip but I can share all sources.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. cgodwin

cgodwin Active Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    2,478Coins
    Ratings:
    +278 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Next steps for me are: (1) get my simulator finished so I have something to test on, (2) setup Simtools 2.0 on alternate PC, (3) record something interesting for motion testing, and (4) test with Video Ride Creator. I've got limited free time, so I'm guessing it will take about 3 weeks to get all that done.

Is Video Ride Creator reading for testing at this time?
  9. Chriss

Chriss IntMech

Balance:
    86Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 4DOF
    Hello

I think a much more economical solution to what you want to do, is something used in moviemaking for mounting special effects, is called "Video Tracking or Motion Tracking", this is to extract the movement of the camera, and then exported to a 3D design program, can find a lot of information on the Internet, I hope my answer helps you.
  10. Pitchoun511

Pitchoun511 Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    387Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Hello everybody,
    I am currently working on this project without knowing if anyone has already had the idea on this forum ... Has anyone made this device?
  11. cgodwin

cgodwin Active Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    2,478Coins
    Ratings:
    +278 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I left the simulator world for a while, and never got this done. I was using an iPhone and not an Arduino, and I got as far are recording video and motion together. But I never got to the final step which was formatting the data and playing it back. The whole thing was pretty simple, so a think just a couple hours of work and testing should be all that it would take to finish it off. But I don't know that I'll have any time to devote to it in the near future.

I don't think anyone ever created the Arduino motion logger.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  12. Squonk

Squonk Member

Balance:
    482Coins
    Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Would an app like this one (for Android) provide any kind of a starting point for the phone-based branch of the ideas discussed above?
  13. Pitchoun511

Pitchoun511 Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    387Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    ok thank you for your answer. I will be back when my project will be finished!
  14. Wanegain

Wanegain Active Member

Balance:
    1,947Coins
    Ratings:
    +297 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF