1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom 6DOF racing platform 12v dc 3.6kw arduino and mm/SMC3

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by bruce stephen, May 3, 2016.

1. bruce stephen

bruce stephen Hammer doesnt fix it, must be electrical

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,237 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I think I am done with the carrier assembly. this is a render of the drawing exploded.
    Untitled Project 10.jpg

EDIT : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2781279
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  2. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Wow you guys really do push the benchmarks up a notch, dam just when I think 3D printing is only for light load bearing stuff bang you guys show otherwise ... that's really nice workmanship @bruce stephen another project that shows a great option for securing ballnut to the carbon or metal tube .... have to add that's an impressive exploded assembly as well ...Thanks for Posting ...keep em coming were loving this :) .... I always chime in with this my pet advice topic, and that is, Don't underestimate the forces these babies will produce in a runaway situation ( these generally happen during initial testing LOL ...ask me how I know Doh ) so make sure you have adjustable limit switches fitted ( which can be repositioned i.e shorter distance for testing and longer once you aim for max actuator travel) and be aware that these actuators carry a lot of momentum even after tripping each limit switch ... I will be adding some rubber bump stops inside the actuators to at least take out the worst of the over run travel ( if it occurs ) and to prevent metal to metal or metal to plastic clashes ...these bumpers should not reduce the overall travel by any great amount and may save damage to the ballnut .. Just a thought guys
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. bruce stephen

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,237 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Untitled Project 7.jpg
    Untitled Project 12.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  4. Fluke

Fluke Member

Balance:
    822Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the files, this has given me the confidence to have a go at building an actuator.:thumbs
  5. Fluke

Fluke Member

Balance:
    822Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Do you have a list of parts for your actuator and where you got them from? Thanks
  6. bruce stephen

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,237 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @Fluke The major components are 1605 or 1610. Ballscrew with bk12 bearing block. Gfl 25 bearing from IGUS. 25od x 22id x 500mm carbon tubing. 10x13 plumb coupler. 2 20 x 60 x 500 vslot rails. An e 30 150 motor from ebay. This list will grow there are a few things not added yet. Also pm me before you print because im updating these files almost daily. So make sure you have the most current iterations. Ill update thingi periodically.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Fluke

Fluke Member

Balance:
    822Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
  8. BondeX

BondeX Active Member

EE
    Balance:
    1,515Coins
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    [QUOTE=" An e 30 150 motor from ebay. [/QUOTE]

Hey Bruce, why not Bodine motors? Not fast/strong enough?
  9. bruce stephen

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,237 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I took one apart to see but I dont think its an option. I love my bodines I have 9 of them. but they cannot handle the forces without damper help. don't get me wrong my rig runs great with many hours in between breaks. I just want more.. plus its fun to be building something. better addiction than drugs though its probably about as expensive.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  10. bruce stephen

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,237 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    got limit switch brackets drawn, printed and installed.
    Untitled Project 14.jpg
    20180207_211729.jpg
    20180207_211218.jpg
    I need to clean up the parts a little. i was printing them too fast/hot.
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Hoddem

Hoddem Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    3,342Coins
    Ratings:
    +715 / 2 / -0
    What printer are you running? The design and execution looks great, are you finding that every time you print a part out you immediately see a way to improve it. I know I had a lot of rev changes on my build, but having it all in cad helps a lot.
  12. bruce stephen

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,237 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    LOL the worst part is the wait for the next version to print. I am using a Prusa i3 kit I purchased off ebay a few years ago. I upgraded the bed to pcb and e3d bodin printhead. I'm using solidworks. it updates my assemblies automatically I like that.
  13. OZHEAT

OZHEAT Active Member

Balance:
    2,458Coins
    Ratings:
    +105 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor
    @bruce stephen
    Good to see someone with a limit switches where you actually hit limits, it has time to do something like stop rather than having a limit at the very end where it it already has hit a hard stop.
    I also prefer using solidworks, a lot more user friendly especially if you don't want to take classes in cad drawing.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. bruce stephen

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,237 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    others have warned against over run and backdriving so hopefully this will help by letting me tune the position. I am thinking i may lengthen and thicken the wings that hit the limit switch.

@Fluke I started to upload some of the parts that are working you can find them here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2789060
  15. Fluke

Fluke Member

Balance:
    822Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
  16. bruce stephen

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,237 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    20180213_162905.jpg
    I started printing the parts in PETG. It has about 10 times the strength of PLA so I am confident this will hold up to the stress. I ordered an encoder, sabertooth and kangaroo X2 they should be here this week. I should be testing soon.
  17. bruce stephen

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,237 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    20180219_113254.jpg
    More goodies showed up. Just need a few more components to begin testing.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. bruce stephen

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,237 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    It moves.. i should probably add grease to the ballnut. It was screaming a little. This is at 12 volt with the 1605 so its at about 1/4 of 75% of the max speed. The encoder is way easier than pots. I ordered a proper rs232 adapter (delink from dimension). Then i can connect to pc as what i have here won't work. The carbon shaft has been removed for safety.
    • Like Like x 4
  19. Hoddem

Hoddem Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    3,342Coins
    Ratings:
    +715 / 2 / -0
    Congrats, you are now fully committed
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. bruce stephen

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,237 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yesterday afternoon after ordering the delink to connect to the kangaroo x2 I was looking at a job. well it just happened to be only 2 miles from micro center. I needed some more petg/black filament so i stopped in and also grabbed a ftdi/rs232. when I got home I plugged it in and it connected with DEScribe on the first try. so then after a couple more hours of messing around and picking/reading through @Hoddem's thread again (probably the tenth time, TY) and Dimension engineering docs, I got it to connect with Simtools. I struggled with the settings at first. The kangaroo wouldnt connect at 9600 and simtools would give me an interface error. so i upped the baud rate on the kangaroo in describe to 115200 but left the sabertooth at 9600(when i changed the sabertooth to anything else it didnt connect). The type of tune you do may make a difference and this could also have been the simtools connection issue. I used the teach tune the first time and it completed just fine but when it was done it split the lines, half positive numbers and half negative numbers IE: -1800 to 1800. Simtools didnt connect properly. I then used the physical stops tuning method as @Hoddem had explained. it completed without any issues and at the end it gave me position numbers 0 to 3600. I plugged the 3600 number into the units command in the simtools start up. I opened and started output testing and BOOM, MOTION! I used LFS and heave and got a very good response. Even at this early stage I can honestly say I will not be using pots anymore. In the next few weeks Ill be ordering more supplies and finishing up the design of the top and base mounting solutions. I feel like might have to sell a kidney to pay for this lol.
    • Like Like x 2