1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Kartsim 2dof seat mover

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by getti, Feb 18, 2017.

1. getti

getti Currently building my first 2dof seat mover...

Balance:
    45Coins
    Ratings:
    +45 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I got the SMC3 utility working. I did some reading last night and figured it out. I didn't realize the utility was actually changing the code on the Arduino, also I realized the reason it wouldn't connect was because I had simtools running at the same time.
    The next thing I did was turned off Max limits for both Motors to see if that would solve my shut off issue. It did not. I also tried turning access limiting on inside Sim tools. That seem to make it much better I got far less shut offs however it is still happening. The one thing I noticed is that it's now only one motor that does it, the other one never shuts down on me.

I read that you can run the utility on another PC connected via Lan cable and monitor the motor as it is working with Sim tools. I think this would show me whether or not it is the code that is shutting the motor off or something else. Does this work?
  2. getti

Balance:
    45Coins
    Ratings:
    +45 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I'm baffled and completely stumped. I've tried adjusting every possible setting inside the SMC3 utility and then tested in game. 1 motor is still shutting down. I've turned off Max limits, I've slowed down the motor, I've tried axis limiting as well as different ki, kd, and other values. Nothing fixes it. I'm gonna lose it....
  3. armpit

armpit Active Member

Software Engineer
    Balance:
    - 8Coins
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I had the same issues and went down the same rabit hole, making the controller reset code was the only thing I could do to make it work.
    Once it's in place you'd never know it was there, the reset is instantaneous! You could always give it a shot then if it fixes it and you still feel like digging further in continue looking into it while still having a usable rig in the meantime.
  4. getti

Balance:
    45Coins
    Ratings:
    +45 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Yea, I'm gonna try with it for another day or so then if I still can't figure it out I'll put the reset code in it. I saw the code on your thread looks pretty straightforward but I may need a little guidance. Thanks for your help!

I'm gonna try swapping the motor now. I wish I had another motor controller to try...
  5. getti

Balance:
    45Coins
    Ratings:
    +45 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    FIXED!!!!! :thumbsI swapped the motor out for the one I was going to use for traction loss and it's no longer shutting off. I had it going for an hour straight with no issue. (Knock wood...)

I'm still not sure why that motor was doing that. The only thing I can think of is that motor was slightly different than the other two. It had a different part number and the connector was different but the body is identical. Hoping I can use it for the traction loss without it acting up.

Anyways I'm super happy it's working and working really well. I really like the feeling of the shorter lever better also. Still a bit of tuning to do but really good so far.
  6. prodigy

prodigy Burning revs

Balance:
    6,698Coins
    Ratings:
    +399 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, AC motor, SCN5, JRK
    Are those wiper motors? Are they ground isolated? Usually on the wiper motors ground needs to be isolated / removed, otherwise you can have troubles with boards.

EDIT: I see from one of your older posts that you already un-grounded them..
  7. armpit

armpit Active Member

Software Engineer
    Balance:
    - 8Coins
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    That's awesome news! I wonder if something may have been shorted in that motor? Didn't you mention in an earlier post that it seemed to get significantly hotter than the other motor?

Fingers crossed for you that this is the fix you needed and it remains working!
  8. getti

Balance:
    45Coins
    Ratings:
    +45 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Yes.
    Ungrounding these motors was a bit difficult cause there were so many little tabs and prongs inside the black plastic gear cover. Everytime I removed one which I figured had to be the last one there was another and another. I had to take the cover off so many times that some of the tabs that hold it to the main body broke off cause they were really brittle on this motor. It still held pretty good with the last 2 tabs but maybe that could have something to do with it...? Not sure..

I'll post some pics of that when I get home.
  9. getti

Balance:
    45Coins
    Ratings:
    +45 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Ye
    Yea maybe, could be some kind of short or friction... Maybe it's just older and worn out. Do DC motors like this get worn out? The brushes looked just as good as the other motor.

Yes, this motor always ran hotter than the other side. I was considering fitting some kind of heat sink and fan to help keep it cool but since it seemed to work ok otherwise I just never bothered.
    Yea fingers crossed for sure!