1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SCN5 / SCN6 Hardware Thread

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by egoexpress, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Re: SCN5 Hardware Thread

What is the 'Set Real Switching Time 0 to 255ms' for?
  2. MasterYoda

MasterYoda Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5

Isn't this the Comdelay? Called Switching Time in the SCN5 pluging??? :?
  3. dre99gsx

dre99gsx New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I've spent some time driving the simulator and stressing the SCN5 150mms. I purposely have my setup at a pretty aggressive level and do expect some wear to occur. So far, when powered, I noticed I can move both actuators up/down about 1mm. They have developed some play. I will be monitoring them as time goes on, but this is just a data point. I am not worried if they degrade rapidly as I have a spare but am curious where they begin to fail.

My accel is pretty rough at 140 with a speed of 12000. I enjoy the extra vibration and realism.
  4. Schnullerbacke

Schnullerbacke New Member

Photographer / Videographer
    Balance:
    369Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi sirnoname,
    thanks for these hints !
    I already bought these 2,2k resistors (tried both, 0.5W and 0.25W - I guess the 0.25W one is better, isn't it ?) and will go to the Conrad store tomorrow to buy the Z-Diodes. Could you please give me the exact specifications ? (Maybe you have a Conrad catalogue and have access to any ordering number) I just want to buy the right ones ;) ... thanks in advance !

If you need some parts from there as well, give me a short feedback - I can get them for you and we could manage a short meet 'n greet on weekend (Augsburg) for exchanging the parts.

Another question: Does the new changed ilk protection schematic change anything on the position of the emergency switch ??? The switch is missing on the new graphics !

Thanks in advance + best regards,
    Chris
  5. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT

How many hours have you driven with that aggressive setup? Estimate it, i dont want to know it exactly :D
    Can you move them 1mm when they are not powered?

[think]Mhh, maybe they are stressed due to some unbalancing of the seat?[/think]

Thanks!
  6. MasterYoda

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5

With x-Sim 2.0.7.1 and Comdelay set to 0, I started to have 250-267 o/s as reported in the plug-in page...
    This last weekend I made a new Windows installation and put all the sw and drivers back with I hope same config., but I only get 200 o/s, now... That is weird...
    Any clues???

Cheers,
  7. MasterYoda

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5

Thanks Sirnoname!

As a matter of fact, I was using 1 before, to give me a round 200 o/s and and ease to calculate 5ms timing.
    The advanced settings I used are exactly the SAME before and after the new installation.
    I just could not understand why it changed. Maybe, something I changed within Windows configs?

About game polling...
    I noticed that rFactor is really fast and the math cycles from Profiler get really high 800-1000 c/s.
    Howerver, in FSX using the FSUIPC plugin, it was really low, below 100 c/s.
    Is that normal? Is it a limitation of the software (FSX or PSUIPC)? Is there a way to increase it?

I will try the output log, set it to 1ms and see how often these games update their outputs.

Thanks.
  8. mrpio

mrpio New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi all!

I hope this is the right thread to post my problems. I seem to have seen something about the first one once, but I just cannot find it now, so here goes:

The first thing is that on one of my two machines the system sometimes loses one actuator. The RS converter shows no errors in the windows comport setup, but the actuator suddenly stops and is not seen by the Profiler at all. Once it came back on quickly after I reconnected it and reran detection, but on another occasion I just could not have it come on again (maybe because I was panicked - it was a corporate event). On both occasions it happened after about 2h of continuous play.

My system is a converted Frex setup, with FTDI-based converters. No emergency button - I use a switchable socket on my power strip instead (actually never used it over the 3 years I've had it). I have not connected any resistors between pins - was not sure if instructions about resistors apply to Frex-modified SCN5's the same way.

I have attached my comport and SCN5 setup. You may also want to know that my Athlon 3000+ is struggling a bit with X-sim software - X-Sim slows rFactor by about 1/3 of the FPS count on that machine. I guess I need to invest :)

So, any ideas about what it could be? The ilk pin? The timings? The converter? Actuator?

The other thing may not be quite a problem, but it is concerning a bit. On my other machine, the SCN5 setup feeds current to the computer through the USB port - when I turn off the computer - front switch, back switch, cable - the power LED remains on, and so is the LED on my USB-charged mouse. They only go out when I unplug the SCN5 power supply. Do you think this can damage anything, and is there something to be done about it.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

9. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

Did you try to deactivate the pnp detection in the XSim interface setting window?
  10. mrpio

mrpio New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes, I've done that, sir! :)
  11. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Hi guys,

I;ve bought the following:
    27Volt 1.3W Zenode Diode
    2200 Ohms Resistor.

But I do not understand the SCN5 ilk circuit diagram. :(

It shows that all three wires are linked in a circuit. I thought the circuit is just to do with the ILK wire and nothing to do with the other 2 wires (ground wire, 24vpower wire)

scn5diagram.jpg resanddiode.JPG

Have any of you guys sell the circuit with the emergancy stop button? I am not sure I'm capable to do a circuit.

Kind Regards.
  12. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

The Zener diode is like an relief valve.

It does not let pass current through as long as the voltage is under 27V.
    Just if the voltage is higher than 27V, the Z-diode opens to safe the SCN5 from overvoltage.

Dont worry, you wont produce a shortcut. But be careful and mount the Z-diode in correct direction!!!

The parts do not have neccessarily to be in the killswitch casing. I just would place them there, if you have such a casing.

As well The parts should be soldered together, to ensure a good connection. Or use at least screw terminals.

Regards
  13. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I do not understand basic circuitary. :)

Please see picture. Is this How I will wire it? :) ilk.JPG
  14. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

Earth :)

Yes, it is correct :thbup:
  15. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Also when I went to the hardware shop the guy said when you buy the switch for the ILK. It needs to handle high amp otherwise it could melt the hand when you press it.

SAFETY REASON - BUY ILK SWITCH WHAT HANDLES BIG AMP!!!
  16. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

Not needed to consider in our case, as there are no high currents running to the ilk transistor. The shop guy reffered to applications, where the main (high power) current is running through the kill switch circuit.

So never mind. Simply take the cheapest or nicest one, and dont care about melting switches ;D
  17. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Just another check to how to do things properly.

Is the below statement correct? What I am trying to say is ... Can V- mean ground?

powersupply.JPG
  18. Bacasable

Bacasable New Member Gold Contributor

Retraité
    Balance:
    259Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
  19. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

It looks as if that will do the job - It has the 4 terminals. A, B, Ground and Vdd.
    The one i buyed was from Ebay. Alot cheaper. Ebay it!
  20. Bacasable

Bacasable New Member Gold Contributor

Retraité
    Balance:
    259Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino

Thank you Fahim

I thought well that it was ok but I prefer to have an opinion because I do not know large thing there
    :eek:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.