1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

CV1 upgrade to 4K [ PIMAX 4K ] + positional tracking PS Move

Discussion in 'VR Headsets and Sim Gaming - Virtual Reality' started by Andrew M, Jul 3, 2017.

1. My.stAr

My.stAr Active Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    1,064Coins
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    So you are choosing option a. and you'll wait for the 8k with 100US$ Discount? for the REAL huge pixel increase:D
  2. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    To be honest I was not happy with the whole Pimax buying experience, so it is unlikely that I will be purchasing a more expensive/high risk 8K product from the same company. Understood from the start that it was risky, but I should not had to do what I finally did - anyone else would have just sent it back for a refund - but stupid me had to fix it :rolleyes:. FI - the positional tracking with Kinect is still a bit flaky and the setup does not suit my rig, so I run without it. Apart from using it for games like Elite and AC, I would not use it for much else and without PT it could make allot of people sick (not me :)) recommend everyone save their money and wait for a proper engineered product from the main players.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. My.stAr

My.stAr Active Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    1,064Coins
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    But now you have a pimax without center focus Problems ;)
    Can't you use your gimbal for the Kinect or where is the Problem?
  4. Andrew M

Andrew M P_H_O_3_N_I_X

IT Chief Programmer / CTO
    Balance:
    585Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    YUP :)
    so time for a final test of 4K: 3840 X 2160 = 8,294,400 ( LED ) increase HUGE [ +rendering in BE resolution so GPU will work as is ]

Seems that option a) is to keep BE and receive 100$ discount for upcoming 8K, and option b) free exchange for a 4K [ probably need to revert FIX - for what it helped ? this bluriness ? ]

Kinect is almost perfect for Tracking ! also I talked to Greg@Driver4VR he is planning to expand options to KinectV2.XOne in near future = should be even better.

I was playing yesterday DCS 2.0 for many hours [ Revive probably helped to make it playable ] and really can`t stop sightseeing flying over Nevada / Normandy - it is just awsome in 4K :)
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  5. Andrew M

Andrew M P_H_O_3_N_I_X

Balance:
    585Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Short Video of DCS with Pimax and Kinect:
  6. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Unfortunately I don't have a nice flat wall to sit against, so the Kinect seems to have these little jumps in tracking all the time which gets annoying. Have you tried Assetto Corsa?
  7. Andrew M

Andrew M P_H_O_3_N_I_X

Balance:
    585Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    It seems that also light is affecting [ better when additional lamp ], position [ many tested, and 40 degree on front/left - now ] and the worst that my wheel is in front and hotas [ shadowing me all the time... ] - this affects the visibility and quality. Sometimes it has this little jumps, sometimes works flawlessly [ also changed to USB3.0 due to bandwidth ]. There are also many params to setup [ speed / position which changes overall feeling ] - it works, but still is not CV1 quality unfortunetelly, or maybe a location [ due to DOF ] is still a problem in my case.
    AC - still not tested, all the time DirtRally, ProjectCars and DCS
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  8. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I quickly tested Assetto Corsa with the Kinetic and the tracking is backwards when you lean in and out o_O. Elite was fine.
  9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Active Member

director
    Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    Nice, thanks for info

they are still hard at work :

http://www.pimaxvr.com/8k/

2018 is looking exciting, I'll move from my CV1 when there is an option of higher res at 90hz or above
    ....will be interesting to see how this 8k ( 2 4k screens side by side ) works out
  10. Andrew M

Andrew M P_H_O_3_N_I_X

Balance:
    585Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @Adrianstealth - I totally agree ! also will hold Pimax 4K untill 2018 [ as CV1 is now 400E, will be harder to sell at good price ] - waiting for a better 4K [ with 0% ghosting ] or 2 x 4K - doesn`t really matter if CV2, Vive2, or P8K !
    but I`m not as happy as many resources will be required for a native 4K - PC upgrade, incl. next gen. CPU and GPU [ still hard to say - if Nvidia/Ati can go even lower then Pascal 16nm in miniaturisation process in next 6-12 month... but will need to wait and see ]
    @P8K - at the moment is still using 2 * 4K displays [ but same version as in 4K ] - maybe an OLED will come till that time, but the good side as they are rendering first left 4K, then right 4K = so this won`t require GPU power upgrade, unless not native 4K.
    Still big issue of Pimax, is that they need to implement completely new render SW - instead of SteamVR for that 8K model - some even say, that this is making massive ghosting problem in SW under development [ influencing also a BE and 4K ] - I`m still curious of next versions of PiPlay SW as maybe they can fix a bit + adding a gyro calibration for drifting issue - I am pushing in many threads on Pimax forum for that fixes to be completed ASAP.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  11. Adrianstealth

director
    Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    Yes next year (2018) I expect to upgrade my CV1

Witt pixel settings my PC is outputting about 4k. So I'll be keeping to this pixel count output what ever ,
    Obviously benefit from a higher pixel density screen in the headset
  12. Andrew M

Andrew M P_H_O_3_N_I_X

Balance:
    585Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I had been using CV1 for a long time. What is your spec ? Mine is 1080GTX + i7 6700K OC@4600Ghz - and still not ready for a native 4K in VR [ unable holding 60-90FPS ], do you have a +25% Ti, or Titan, or SLI ?
  13. Adrianstealth

director
    Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF

No just i7 2600k @ 5ghz & 1080ti @ 2100 ( all water cooled )

It comes off the solid 90fps in DCS world but pretty much solid 90fps in all other titles I use , rfactor2 , onward
    +usual demos etc

I do keep graphic settings down though for a fluid vr experience As I like the sharpness of pixel uplift and don't mind lower graphics detail
  14. Andrew M

Andrew M P_H_O_3_N_I_X

Balance:
    585Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yes, mine had too 60-90FPS [ with CV1 resolution + SS ], but when upgraded to P4K [ 2.5K + SuperSampling ]- it got lowest even 30FPS on DCS2.0@Normandy [ on Ultra and needed to lower a bit the settings and SS = 1.2 ] - so definitelly full 4K will be a killer for our PC [ even we got one of fastest -> your 1080TI renders +25% FPS > mine 1080 ], before I also had i7@920 / nice OC@5Ghz, [ but P3D optimised for newer and finally upgraded 6700K ]
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  15. Andrew M

Andrew M P_H_O_3_N_I_X

Balance:
    585Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    To be honest - as I played CV1 with low res. and huge SDE, and have now 2.5K upscaled to 4K - think that this is the BEST possible solution still for 2017/2018 [ also due to GPU limits - already playing at incredible display quality, which still GTX1080 can hardly handle I really don`t need a native 4K for gaming, or 2 * 4K - at least for next 1-2 years ].
    You are right II gen. of Oculus/HTC will be definitelly more polished [ as main players must ], but first you should try 4K - just to see this "not perfect" 60Hz on 4K on your own eyes... even on BE you saw only a small 20% improvement in res and little better SDE - so it is normal, that you concetrate on its issues [ yes, it has many although ]
  16. f1iceman

f1iceman Why So Serious ? ( The Joker )

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    i have good power system, so running cv1 is perfectly fine never see what the issues are as such yes its not at its very very best monitors standard but it is far more than a simple monitor, but it is what it is and is amazing as that too, my only real issue that spoils the cv1 is the god rays watching 3d films in the cinema is just annoying but great at the same time. cv2 or vive 2will be awesome i guess.
    you only have to see what the future vr benchmarks test do to your systems now to wonder whats to come inj the future of power or optimizations.
    sli card each eye has got to be the way surley to make it more afordable like 2 cheaper cards will work well, so most running now would only need another cheaper card to be in the hunt for the new headsets.
    ive just had a full pc rebuild now and run two good systems due to the bug. lol
    cv1 play in the garden for the room side of things.
    and the motion sim for the driving stuff.
    garden pc is i4790k gtx1080 16gb, ssd ( dame that trying touch out) cv1
    sim rig i7700k oc4.9ghz gtx1080ti poesidon and 32gb ram nvssd m.2. tower 900 case with water.cv1
    both them system would still struggle on the future but if sli was implemented i would be laughing at the price of just a gpu to have the most amazing systemin terms of vr for future.
    i would be tempted tho to have aglimse of this headset if its a real gain for say my driving sim rig only.
    not ran sim rig yet tho still building it !lol
  17. My.stAr

My.stAr Active Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    1,064Coins
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Hey guys, especially @Andrew M :)
    i bought a Pimax 4k. Is it normal, that it's extremly CPU damanding? My CPU is working at full load:( i have a 2500k @ 4,5 GHz and also my 980 Ti is overclocked.
    I can play Assetto Corsa only at about 12 fps, with full details. Steam VR, PiPlay, ... are using lots of CPU :(
    Strangly Project Cars 2 works much faster?!
    Is an Oculus Rift also so demanding? It doesn't have to run the PiPlay Software and renders in a smaller resolution.

@SeatTime what about ghosting with the Pimax BE? Is it more like the oculus rift? i find it annoying with the 4k HMD.

And how do i change the graphics settings for the HMD? If I choose another resolution it's only changed on the screen. The Pimax still has it highest resolution... tested it in AC and PC2

Thanks
  18. Andrew M

Andrew M P_H_O_3_N_I_X

Balance:
    585Coins
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi My.stAr. You are right, VR is extremely high demending of CPU and GPU. That is why I migrated from 1`st gen. i7920, to 6`th gen. 6700K, and bought new graphics card - even for old Oculus CV1 which I had at that time. I think that Pimax4K is at least +30% more demanding as resolution increases. My 1080GTX is fluent with many games including PC2 [ Project 1 - had worser optimalisation and lower fps ], and even strong PC cannot give me a solid 60-90 on all games, even on DCS [ dropped many times to 30 in v.2 with Normandy :) ]
  19. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    No ghosting in the BE, OLED screen like Oculus, but better resolution - only issue for me is the rudimentary tracking system which I'm not a fan of.
  20. My.stAr

My.stAr Active Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    1,064Coins
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Found the problem. The settings in the PiPlay were too high. Now it works with 60 fps:thumbs
    But the movements are a little bit too slow/late, and the ghosting is still annoying.
    Maybe I should try the Pimax BE:grin