1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

6DOF Project Build Log Thread

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Tim McGuire, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Tim McGuire

Tim McGuire "Forever a work in progress"

Electrical/Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,164Coins
    Ratings:
    +313 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor
    Hello all!

Some of you might recognize me from my other posts on the forum. I started here back in 2015, and since then I've built a 2DOF frame mover, and my current 3DOF personal sim rig (which I couldn't have done without the helpful members of this forum).

Sometime in the last few months, a few of my friends in engineering school convinced me to partner up with them to try and make something a little larger. Long story short, my university has given me a modest budget to build a 6DOF simulator for them. The following thread should detail the build process.

The simulator will be a stewart platform, using the ballscrew driven electric actuators that have become popular among members as of late:

actuator.PNG

The design we've settled on has been influenced by many of the builds that have been posted on this forum, so the overall actuator should look fairly familiar:

actuator2.PNG

actuator3.PNG

Initial calculations (if the chinese motor suppliers are to be believed) should put the specs of the actuator at roughly 54kg of output force at 333mm/s, with 650mm of stroke. It uses an 800mm 1605 ballscrew, these motors, and IGUS plastic bushings with carbon fibre tubing as the piston material. I will post a full parts list in due time once everything's been sorted (speaking of which, who has a good source for universal joints? I'm not above looking through all of the local scrapyards for identical ones, but I'm open to suggestions).

overview.PNG

We're definitely still in the design phase right now, but we plan to start construction within the next few weeks, and we hope to have the project in a working state by this summer.

Any critiques and comments are welcome!
    • Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. ruba

ruba Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    5Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, Arduino
    Very interesting project! And a lot of work in future! Post new pictures of construction process.
  3. Nitros54

Nitros54 Member

Balance:
    119Coins
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Good project, look forward to see more :)
  4. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,402Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
  5. Tim McGuire

Tim McGuire "Forever a work in progress"

Electrical/Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,164Coins
    Ratings:
    +313 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor
  6. Blackflam

Blackflam New Member

Balance:
    - 31Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Wow i dream to test a simulator like this :)