1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SCN6 alike actuators?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Michael Hensen, Dec 4, 2017.

1. RandomCoder

RandomCoder Active Member Gold Contributor

Control Engineer
    Balance:
    1,674Coins
    Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    I've been a member of this community for a while now and been quietly acquiring parts for my build, in the breif moments of spare time I've been trying to create my own linear actuator design...

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if the brass guides will work but they can easily be replaced with a linear bearing if needed. The motor I plan to use is normally found on electric scooters. Its only 150W but 24V and so I hope its got enough power for my needs. To provide positional feedback I'm goig to use a linear softpot resistor.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Bernd Manger

Bernd Manger Active Member

Measurement and control mechanic
    Balance:
    1,049Coins
    Ratings:
    +263 / 12 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    If the 4 brass guides are replaced with 2 linear bearings, this could indeed be a useful design.
    But why always use pots as positional feedback ? Pots are always very prone to failure.
    I've mounted quadrature encoders on the motor shaft. They are very reliable, wear-free and never loose a pulse, even after an hour of playing.
    https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/2dof-with-wheelchair-motors.7905/page-2#post-125188
    An encoder with 500 pulses/revolution and a 300mm ballscrew with 10mm pitch, will deliver max. 500*300/10 = 15000 pulses for 300mm, a resolution of
    0,02mm! If you use a pot in combination with an arduino, you get a resolution of only 0,29mm (Or worse, because the analog inputs of an arduino always wavering around a few bits.)
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. RandomCoder

RandomCoder Active Member Gold Contributor

Control Engineer
    Balance:
    1,674Coins
    Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    @Bernd Manger in this initial design I'm trying to keep things simple and will most likely expand on the design later if it shows potential. The idea is to house everything in aluminium box section 70mm X 70mm with a PTFE strip for anti rotation of the ball nut and the Oilite Bush to support the side load on the ball screw. I've already got the motors, ball screws, box section, ptfe, aluminium block for top and bottom mounts and the limit switches. Just don't seem to have any time at the moment to progress it further.
    I've also got a severe lack of space and I'm currently building a workshop at the bottom of the garden so that I can build my creation. Oh and I've treated myself to a 3D printer (in kit form) for Christmas. If only the weekends were longer ;)
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Michael Hensen

Michael Hensen Active Member

C# Software Engineer
    Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Welcome.. nice to see another builder going for smaller actuators! Nice designs but I would loose the brass coupling. And like bernd said.. although common to use a pot.. that’s why i choose the closed loop direction. An encoder is much directer and never wrong. Keep us posted on your ideas and progress...
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Michael Hensen

C# Software Engineer
    Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I've whipped up a design based on parts that are available at local store or at the cheap Chinese web shops :)
    It is a pretty close fit with the 20mm rods might have to go to 16 mm so I have a bit more clearance..
    actuator v9.2.png actuator v8.png

All rods are on 'normal' sizes so no special cut to size parts.. this leaves me a 310mm of travel range.. the ball bearing is 2010 and the rods are 20mm .. Just to make it a bit more stronger.. So I might have to go on to small diameters.. at least the ball bearing could go to 1610.. that would leave me enough space..and perhaps loose the bearing blocks for bushings..

Then there needs to be some parts designed and printed.. but that is the easy part.. the frame is an U-profile .. 80x150x10mm

And again it is just a work in progress design, but gives some insight on the actual sizing.. overall length around 800mm.. :) without the foot part..
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Bernd Manger

Balance:
    1,049Coins
    Ratings:
    +263 / 12 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    With all the brainstorming here, let's hope that santa claus does not forget all SIM-builders:
    p1.jpg
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Michael Hensen

C# Software Engineer
    Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Redo on the drawing.. This would relief the stress on the ballscrew a bot more.. An I think it makes it more beefy then before..
    Only part then needs to be fabricated out of steel is the outer box..
    actuator v10_actuator v10 1.png actuator v10_actuator v10 2.png actuator v10_actuator v1003.png
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Bernd Manger

Balance:
    1,049Coins
    Ratings:
    +263 / 12 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Wow !! , i wish i could turn it around with my 3D-mouse and watch it from all directions. Good work, let's build a company ! :cool: (Joke!)
  9. Michael Hensen

C# Software Engineer
    Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Here you go.. password: actuator
    When I make a change it is reflected in this file too
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Michael Hensen

C# Software Engineer
    Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Shopping list (not ordered yet.. when ordered I will start the build thread, and place the info on the actual order , the final design, the process steps and the code, enough to start building your own if you'd wish :) )

blocknut.jpg
    ballscrew nut housing bracket holder for SFU1604 SFU1605 SFU1610 Aluminium Alloy Material for 1605 ball screw 1 € 3.55 free shipping

ballscrew.jpg
    16mm 1610 Ball Screw Rolled C7 ballscrew SFU1610 500mm with one 1610 flange single ball nut for CNC parts 4* €16.35 + SHIPPING €64.4 = €110.21

Coupling.jpg
    D30 L40 CNC Flexible Jaw Spider Plum Coupling Shaft Coupler 5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/14/16 4* €3.45 Shipping €5.08=€18.88
    EndBlocks.jpg
    Free shipping BK12 BF12 Set : one pc of BK12 and one pc BF12 for SFU1605 Ball Screw End Support CNC parts 4* €16.54 free shipping =€65.80

fixedshaft.jpg
    SBR16 Length 500 mm sbr linear bearing supported rails rail cnc parts 16mm linear guide 4* €30,50 = €122.00

rods.jpg
    2pcs/lot WCS16 16mm 400mm 16mm L400mm linear shaft linear round shaft linear bushing shaft cnc linear rail 16mm rod harden 4 *€22.23 free shipping =€88.92

Servo.jpg
    Set Nema34 L-116mm Closed Loop Servo motor Motor 6A Closed Loop 8N.m & 2HSS86H Hybrid Step-servo Driver CNC Controller 8A 4* €133.25 free shipping = €533 .00

SCu16.jpg
    2pcs SC16LUU SCS16LUU 16mm Linear Ball Bearing Block CNC Router pillow 6* €17.32 free ship=€103.92

Complete total: including shipping € 1.075.91 /4 = €265,- per actuator

So around €1300,- for D-Box style motion and hopefully (probably it is) better is not coming cheap, but I never wanted to go the cheap way.. I want the real stuff, the snappy motion, the close your mouth or you will bite your tongue vibrations..the 'shit ,did we just had liftoff' feeling..

Then we are gonna top it off.. with:
    rSeat Formula v2 € 999,-
    Oculus €450,-
    PC €1500.-
    Racing gear.. €500.. (upgrade later or pitch in FeelVr)
    Aluminum €100,-
    Unforseen €250,-
    Total: €4.874,- still a good $15.000 cheaper then D-Box..
    But it all adds up.. but at least the costs are clear!

All on Aliexpress.. need to find local stores and check their prices.. but I don't know if they can beat them.. perhaps a single item..

This is only the real hardware.. aluminum will be sourced local..
    And then some 3D printed parts.. and Feet

Although a bit pricey it is what I expected.. and still a good margin on the original D-Box.. which I hope to equal or beat in performance !!!

And again nothing ordered as of yet!!!
    Any suggestions, idea's or warnings are welcome for sure!!!!
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  11. Limongi

Limongi Member

Balance:
    - 7Coins
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Michael, your design make so much sense, its using all the parts much more as they were intended and engineered for. Also how you have it designed, the motor and assembly don't move vertically as to not add inertia to heave which is brilliant!

Really excited to see this build, the cost is really impressive for 4 of these style actuators with 8nm stepper motors.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Michael Hensen

C# Software Engineer
    Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks but actually @Bernd Manger guided me in this direction. So I can't take all the credits :)
    For now it all looks promising on paper. Let's hope the real think will be close to what it looks on paper..
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. Limongi

Limongi Member

Balance:
    - 7Coins
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. mariano68

mariano68 Active Member

builder contractor
    Balance:
    3,338Coins
    Ratings:
    +395 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, 4DOF
  15. Michael Hensen

C# Software Engineer
    Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Like your finds and I think they could/would work.. Curious about the actual load the can have if they are set vertically

The bottom link is really nice. makes me doubting if I should get a CNC machine to make parts.. Those look like beasts of axis and they will be able to handle the force, I think
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  16. Michael Hensen

C# Software Engineer
    Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    HTB15dOPMVXXXXagXXXXq6xXFXXXO.jpg
    have my doubts of the strength of the complete structure as the load will be between the spindle block and the vertical arrow row.. I would add a 3 and 4th slider carriage at least to make it wider .. I placed an extra rod at the back of the actuator to reduce the load on the bearings, but perhaps I am overkilling it.. but if the thing is capable if creating 400+ kg of force I want to have all the load divided over more then 3 points.. But again it could be a good base!!

Edit: looking at my own design, I could try and leave the rail at the back and see it the load is fine with 2*2 bearings on the sliders on the side..
    Also I liked the harmonica covers on one of the links.. Gave me a new option for covering up
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  17. Limongi

Limongi Member

Balance:
    - 7Coins
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I feel like adding a second plate or extrusion to the opposite side of the pre-built would triple the amount of force it can take vertically.

Edit: also I wouldn't order one with the motor included. As others have found out there are many counterfeit servos on aliexpress and servos/motors are important to get from the right supplier. I believe @SilentChill found this out when building his OSW (apologies if I'm mistaken).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Bernd Manger

Balance:
    1,049Coins
    Ratings:
    +263 / 12 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hello @Michael Hensen ,
    here is a little animation with your actuator to keep you motivated:

Unfortunately, I showed it to my wife, and she said: "What !!, no, no, no, it looks like a sickbed !"
    Indeed, the similarity is amazing (But it has only 3 linear actuators): :)

2.jpg 1.jpg

So I will have no choice but to think of a different design. :)

I wish all members a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year !
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Michael Hensen

C# Software Engineer
    Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Love the animation and about the final design? I think it will be somewhat as the animation.. but slimmed down..
    What about putting a 5th actuator on its side and make it the traction loss .. or/and the 6th in front, and the frame on rails, to give forward and backward thrust as in acceleration and deceleration.. all idea's ..

But the biggest challenge now is first to get the parts for the first one, build it and test it.
    Have a shopping list ready.. (but that is for 4, so need to take some stuff out :) ) and let them ship it to me..

But first of all, indeed it is that time of the year again..

To all off you a Merry Christmas and a Happily Moving New Year..
    • Like Like x 2
  20. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,540Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    Hi Michael
    I looked closer to youre last actuator design.
    All forces are comming on upper ballscrew bearingblock and could bent u profile
    Google with klein U staal this can handle those forces
    • Like Like x 1