1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tutorial How to convert your Frex SCM to SimTools - Updated

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by MasterYoda, Feb 21, 2009.

1. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Well, if your SCN5s will run stable with XSim, the problem isnt the tencion electrica ;D
  2. GX7RAY

GX7RAY New Member

Addicto to rFactor
    Balance:
    294Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well
    This adaptor can function?http://www.superrobotica.com/S310435.htm
    [​IMG]
    If I buy this adaptor? I to connect black, white, and green cables, of my actuator.
    And red cable?
    Itself it is not connected.
  3. MasterYoda

MasterYoda Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    xRay,

This is exactly the adapter I use.
    All wiring is very well illustrated on the first post of this topic, have you taken a look at that?
    post13585.html#p13585

[​IMG]

Have you already read all recommended information before start modding your rig or making questions?

Cheers,
  4. GX7RAY

GX7RAY New Member

Addicto to rFactor
    Balance:
    294Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    xRay,

Have you already read all recommended information before start modding your rig or making questions?

Cheers,[/quote]

Yes MasterYoda

i´m sorry

I to translate text of image, with in keyboard.
    I to see that red cable not to connect
  5. jmpapichulo

jmpapichulo New Member

Balance:
    377Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    :hi: Hello, this is my SCM Frex:
    [img600px]http://i43.tinypic.com/rro4y1.jpg[/img600px]

:clap: Is beautyfull.
    I have problems with crashes, I get stuck during the race, that anger me. And I have decided to transform the Frex SCM X-SIM. I did request of the converters, I am waiting to get me.

Ayudeis I hope if I have problems using the software X-SIM. Thank you all.
    IM Spanish men, Alonsoooooo! :yippiee: 2009 Champion Mundial jejje :brows:
  6. jmpapichulo

jmpapichulo New Member

Balance:
    377Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When I start the game sa le (comport open error at COM4) then (error at open comport COM5)

I do ????????? :no:
  7. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    ...what?

Before starting a game, you have to set up the connection between SCN5 acutators and XSim software at first.

Wich converter do you use to connect the SCN5 with PC?

regards
  8. jmpapichulo

jmpapichulo New Member

Balance:
    377Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, scn5 software is configured with x-sim, and work well. My problem with the (error portcom COM4) is already solved.

Now my problem is that it can not operate the Simconmotion because Sender Force is not connected with the game rFactor. The X icon in the taskbar stays green and does not change to blue.

I'm doing wrong? how do I set up everything with an easy step by step tutorial? for uneducated people like me?
    Thanks for the help, help me please! :eek:

This is my conversors instaled.
    [​IMG]
  9. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Appreciated to hear that your hardware is running properly now, and your sim is converted to XSim successfully.

For game/plugin related questions use the proper forum sections please. This thread just deals with the hardware conversion.
    You can ask your question in the Force-Sender section!

Btw, your setup is not a Simconmotion anymore, since you have disconnected all the Frex hardware.

Regards
  10. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice :D :D

I guess we return to the matter of naming, aren't we? How can we call it then? :brows:

Thanos
  11. MasterYoda

MasterYoda Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Much better look your sim has now!
    I need to post some new pics of mine, I did a good job with the wiring and it looks really cool now.

I think your problem is simple to solve.
    You did not read the Yoda manual rFactor plugin page:
    http://www.x-simulator.de/beta/rfactor.html

Have you done this?

Cheers,

Me
  12. jmpapichulo

jmpapichulo New Member

Balance:
    377Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    :clap: My error was rFactorplugin.dll copy instead of xsimplugin.dll, so not working. Thanks to Master Yoda put me on the right track now and yes yes yes IT WORKS! OEOEOEOEOEEEE! :yippiee:

Is there a profile that is the closest thing to pure G Simconmotion Frex?
    Oh and more profiles created for rFactor in general?

1000 Thanks.
  13. SimonME46

SimonME46 New Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have converted both of my Frex units to X-Sim, and both are working quite happily on GTR2 - I haven't tried GTR EVO (too many functions last week). Garth (my geek) actually wired up one RS485 converter per pair of SCN5's, we just re-named the actuators per the profile conventions.

I admit I am a gumbie, and have probably missed an obvious post. I have read the hardware and software threads, and viewed the video, but I am still feeling dumb- I would like to know more about customising the profiles, but am worried about
    • soft travel limits - with the serial control, the SCN5 10% end travel is disabled(?) so we need to be careful - but my befuddled brain can't remember where I was setting those limits. I'm concerned because I think we started with a 150mm GTR2 profile, and the Frex sold SCN5's are 100mm
    • I'd like to crank up the lateral travel to get similar to the Frex profile
    • I'd like to crank up the brake travel in particular - I'm kinda used to the accel being modest and that is probably about right

As an aside, Garth has the fans speed controllers working, and we should be running them on Friday.
  14. mrpio

mrpio New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The 25% limiter is in the SCN5 interface plugin setup window, right under the actuator drawing.
    Just a beginner, too, but I believe that the scissors tool in the math profile editor allows you to limit the range as little of much as u like. But I hear, that with 25% limiter the actuator will sometimes reach the limits under stress.

Still, I was using Frex for 3 years, with full width most of the time, and nothing happened to the actuators (knock on wood).

Lateral range is just a matter of adapting your input range to the full range of inputs received from the given car in the sim. You won't get much of a range in a GTL mini, if driving on an F1 profile. You have to use the automatic maximum adjustment option for each math item for each actuator, drive without crashing (e.g. 100% AI), turn auto adjustment off, save profile for your particular car (class).

Can't tell you at this moment about having more range for braking than for accel., but I'm sure you'll figure it out easily once you're not scared of profile editor anymore. It's simpler than it seems at first glance. :yes:
  15. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    If you check the splitting option, you can define the maximum for negative and positive values, which correspond to accell and braking.

If you want to amplify braking for example, then activate splitting and reduce the value of either the negative mangitude or the positive, depending if the effect has been inverted or not.

Regards
  16. SimonME46

SimonME46 New Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hmm - I don't intend on saving a profile per car - I think one of the joys of games like GTL is that you can get a sense of the greater power and G-force from the different cars. So as you point out, a mini will have much less G-force than a GT-40 and indeed an F1 car. for me, F1 and indeed modern GT cars are note really my bag, so I'll probably get something like a WTCC BMW as the max values, and just let the GT-40's and minis scale back from there.

Having said that, I think I'm about to spend some time on rFactor rather than GTL/GTR Evo as they have just released a laser-scanned version of Oran Park, and I'll be driving my car (supercharged BMW E46) there on Easter Sunday...
  17. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I'd propose this method as well to get a basic profile per game.

If the effects are too weak with weak cars, you can fine-tune the basic profile slightly later...

Regards
    Christian
  18. NathanAV

NathanAV New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, If I miss something..What cable I am need to convert SCM to Xsim :no:
    I am just received my Rs485 to USB converter..Do I need this two cable? What cable is that? :no:
  19. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    In case your Frex warranty expired already, you could simply cut the wires to the SCB, and connect them to the converters.

Regards
  20. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Without limiter I guess...