1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Another UK motor supplier question thread :)

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Croccy, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Croccy

Croccy New Member

System Admin
    Balance:
    419Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi all,

I am looking at building a 2DOF seat mover and have been reading up on stuff for the last few weeks. It looks like I get get everything I need pretty easily apart from motors.

I have searched through the forums and looked at old topics but nothing seems to be available in the UK.

I see that people recommend the motors from Canada on eBay but I would much rather find a UK supplier if one is available.

Has anyone in the UK got a recommendation for some motors that they have used and perform well enough? I've looked around ebay but can only find the Canadian motors. I've looked at motioncontrolproducts.co.uk but they only seem to have some 15rpm motors in stock which I guess are too slow? I've read about using wiper motors but from what I have read these don't seem to be up to the job?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Matt.
  2. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    use a pair of wheelchair motors - i did and they seem perfect
  3. Croccy

Croccy New Member

System Admin
    Balance:
    419Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Thanks for the pointer.

Is there anything specifically I should look for when choosing a wheelchair motor? Do you have a link to something similar to what you used?

Thanks, Matt.
  4. Croccy

Croccy New Member

System Admin
    Balance:
    419Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
  5. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
  6. Remishka

Remishka Member

Musician, Woodturner
    Balance:
    39Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hello,
    I did choose electric scooter motors in 24V dc the model is MY1016 you should be able to find some in UK i guess, they are a bit Noisy but i'm satisfied it really shakes me around, the thing to consider is good psu, or battery, or both ;) , if you do reductors yourself for those you can choose your ratios ( torque-speed ) :)
  7. Ringorumble

Ringorumble Active Member

Balance:
    190Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    Maybe you should just check out Simukit , they are from Belgium ...
  8. Croccy

Croccy New Member

System Admin
    Balance:
    419Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Thanks all for the help. I have started my build now and have created a post on the forum detailing my progress :)
  9. Versuenos

Versuenos New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    139Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    If you're happy with 24V motors, here's where I plan to get them from when the time comes (still in planning stages)

Rapidonline . com
    Go to Control & Automation -> Motors & Accessories -> High Power Robotic Motors

(sorry I'm a newbie, can't add links yet)