1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tutorial How to convert your Frex SCM to SimTools - Updated

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by MasterYoda, Feb 21, 2009.

1. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    :cheers:

Are you sure that you are using the 75% fully already? I wouldnt recommend to remove the limiter. Try to set the maxium value for lateral accelleration lower. 5000 for example and look what happens.
    To determine the maximum value of an effect, simply active the automatic maximum option and drive some curves with high speed, or do a full accelleration/braking action. Then go back to see the captured maximum. But keep in mind that every collision will give you wrong (incredible high) max values, which causes that your sim wont move anymore at all, as you are not able to create that high values while driving, as they are created during a crash. So if you crash, you have to reset the max value, and capture once again. And dont forget to remove the automatic maximum when you finished capturing.

regards
  2. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Try the min/max numbers out of my rFactor profile. If I remember correctly, MasterYoda prefers less travel, and he may have tuned his profiles this way. It's been a while since I made my profile, but I believe that I captured accurate min/max numbers in a Formula 1.

Also, with rFactor, capturing min/max values is easy because you can let an AI driver run some perfect laps for you and record them. Just be sure to set the AI driver to 110% in rFactor first.

To perfrom this recording, simply set all of your min/max values to 0 and enable the checkbox for the automatic min/max adjustments in each of your 1:1 G-Force setups. Then let the AI guy run some perfect laps. Dont forget to disable the automatic tuning before driving a lap yourself. If you hit a wall, you will mess up the max numbers and have to start over.
  3. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    As well you should disable opponents while capturing max values, as collisions falsify the max values as well.

Now that your sim is running with X-Sim successfully, let me ask you please to continue to post profile-making related questions in the X-Sim FAQ section.

I would like to keep this thread clear and on topic. Thanks :cheers:

Regards
    Christian
  4. patatrac

patatrac New Member

My simulator and my family.
    Balance:
    318Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi everybody

I'm a French newbie

I know the system Frex and the SCM, but it's a little bit expensive.

In order to earn money i would like to know if it's possible to buy:

- The cokpit on the Frex website
    - The actuator on the other website (but not the scm ON THE FREX WEBSITE)

Thanks

Patrick
  5. mrpio

mrpio New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    EDIT: oops, I'm so sloooow...
  6. viper221w

viper221w New Member

Technical Architect for Accenture
    Balance:
    333Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys, I thought i'd share a quick clip I put together of my simulator working since converting over to the X-sim software.

Let me know what you think 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHCgV1ru3k4
  7. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    hmm, I hardly can see anything. The enviroment is too dark. Put some light in the background please.
  8. MasterYoda

MasterYoda Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Good news Mr Pio.
    I realized that the profile I posted has an error/mistake I fixed but ended up uploading the wrong file (will correct it).
    One of the axis for the lateral force does not have the check box for the split of positive and negative values from the game. Probably, it you correct it (check the box) your lateral forces will feel better with that profile.

Cheers,
  9. MasterYoda

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    What I've just posted to Mr. Pio is also applicable to you in regards to lateral forces with my profile:
    To adjust the values I run a set of training laps when I put the AI to control the car. I capture the data using the Output data logger. Open it on MS Excel and check for the accurate peak values (remove any spurious spikes). Finally, I round this number up. Always split positive and negative values.
    The road feeling is actually in the numbers around zero. If you start close to zero, you feel that more than if you put a high value, which will cut out those effects.

Cheers,
  10. MasterYoda

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Patatrac,

The only way to earn money is selling something... Not buying! :brows:

Unfortunately this option would not work.
    The cockpit Frex sells is just the fixed cockpit and it does not have all parts you need for a moving seat.

If you want to save money, I would recommend you to make a wood cockpit/gaming pad.
    Then, you could buy some extrusion just for attaching the seat and the actuators to the wood structure.
    I believe this would be the cheapest option while still keeping you the adjustability the extrusions give.

Cheers,
  11. MasterYoda

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Nice! 8)

As ego said, try to make a move with a little more ambient light...

What is that wood structure behind you?

Cheers,
  12. MasterYoda

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Correct profile uploaded, check out its topic:
    rfactor-profiles-100mm-scn5-by-master-yoda-t1406.html
  13. GX7RAY

GX7RAY New Member

Addicto to rFactor
    Balance:
    294Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello all

I´m GX7RAY and I am a Spaniard,I find this forum, when I to look at videos in you tube,I not to speak very well the English, but I defend me,I am interested, in converting my Frex to X-Sim,but first I to have that to do some questions,since my problem I came, because simconbase error, failure and this to happen me to my and to other friends.Therefore we want to convert to X-Sim and to test if with this we can solve the problem.

But well,my questions are these

I to utilize SCM 2 or 3 daily hours and my SCM stop sign each 30 or 40 minutes.

1:You utilize its X-Sim 2 or 3 daily hours?

2:Is able X to work 2 or 3 hours without problem?

3:I alone need for convert X-Sim 2.0 software,2 RS485 adapterand in my pc 2 ports usb free?

cordial greetings
  14. MasterYoda

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Hi! GX7RAY!

Welcome to x-Sim.

Let me see if I understood you questions...

1. I have used it for long enough when making the last videos, probably more than 2/3 hours.

2. Yeap. There is no technical reason from x-Sim side that it wouldn't work.

3. That is all you need. Just add the cables to connect your actuators to the RS485/USB adapters.

Do you rent your equipment? Is that why you have this high utilization/day with stops in the middle?

Cheers,
  15. GX7RAY

GX7RAY New Member

Addicto to rFactor
    Balance:
    294Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks you by responding to my questions MasterYoda.

I not rent my equipment,I am an addict to rfactor :thbup: I compete in league of race and therefore I to buy SCM,but I to find this unpleasant problem.
    In FREX they say that this problem is it caused by lowering of tencion electrica ac/dc.
    I to measure light in my house and this between 222 and 217 volts.I believe I that 217 volts this well.

I expect you understand my explicacion.
  16. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Hi,

there are no issues reported with X-Sim2 and rfactor so far. So I guess you will be able to play rfactor with your simulator continiously.

Just try X-Sim2 to find out if your SCB problem is software, or AC related.

Regards
    Christian
  17. mrpio

mrpio New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi GX7RAY,

The only thing that can work better or worse in terms of durability is the RS485 converter.

I have bought these: post13487.html#p13487. One of my setups worked on/off a lot of the time, and finally just stopped seeing one of the actuators altogether after 2 hours of continuous play. But I haven't investigated into the failure exactly yet, maybe something with cables. Anyway, it was very frustrating, as it happened at a company event, just before the final race between two hotlap winners. The good thing is that these converters are cheap, and I guess one could have a spare set to swap almost on the fly (not sure about COM port identification, gotta check), which I probably will do.

Other than that, if your actuators are fine, all is fine. And actuators are protected here better than with Frex.

For me, the best part (before I try the other games available, like CMR etc.) is how well you can adjust your movement. The times of driving on bare rims (very hard, stuttering movement) are over, I can have my motion as smooth or as aggressive as I like, at the touch of a button
  18. GX7RAY

GX7RAY New Member

Addicto to rFactor
    Balance:
    294Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi

You tell me, that I am able I to do a test of error of my SCB, with its X-Sim?
  19. mrpio

mrpio New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Have you connected the ground terminal on your SCM power supply? It is highly recommended. Also, I noticed that fluorescent lightbulbs tend to mess with SCM - it disconnected everytime I turned my fluorescent lights on, but it improved a bit when I connected the ground terminal.
  20. GX7RAY

GX7RAY New Member

Addicto to rFactor
    Balance:
    294Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi mrpio

Yes i have connected the ground terminal on my SCM and when I play alone I light pc, projecting, SCM and G25.

Ha and refrigerator conjelador.