1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DC motor Power Question

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Red_shift, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Red_shift

Red_shift Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    361Coins
    Ratings:
    +52 / 1 / -0
    Hi All, I am at the very early stage of my concept and I am looking for some advice on DC motors. I am looking to build a 6DoF Stewart platform and from reviewing other build posts it seems that motor power can be an issue. My design would be in wood and I would prefer not to have to use springs or dampers

I will purchase new motors and I see motors are available up to ½ HP. Can anyone give me advice if a regular 110V outlet would have the capacity to run 6 DC 1/2HP motors. Also is 1/2 HP way overkill?
  2. Remishka

Remishka Member

Musician, Woodturner
    Balance:
    39Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hello, I can't answer you for a 6dof as I am not familiar with their design, but I have A 1000watts PSU (220v) to supply two 250w motors on a 2dof and it's weak. It does for now, but when motors want to go fast the psu gets weak... It's a wooden build, the seat is light and my weight is 70Kg.. I would advise you to take Something powerfull... 1000watts chinesse PSU might not be enought for a 500w dc motor
  3. se041

se041 New Member

IT Process Mgr.
    Balance:
    278Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

Well I'm not an expert of 110/120v countries and therefore don't know much about common fuses there but I'll try to help out here:

In case you're talking about a standard NEMA5 plug/outlet, it usually is fused at 15Amps (North Americans please correct me if I'm wrong :D) - That means at 120V the max. theoretical power you could pull out is 1800Watts.

Now it depends on the power consuption of your motors to see how many you can use.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Grigory

Grigory Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    212Coins
    Ratings:
    +304 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, 6DOF
    My 6DOF rig uses six 24V 500W motors controlled through Sabertooths 2*60. Sabertooths are powered by a combination of two mid-size batteries (connected in series to get 24V) and four Meanwell 960W power supplies running in parallel.

I am in 220V country, but I was also worried about overloading if all PSU's were plugged into a single circuit.

In practice, however, currents on the AC side are quite low even on the wildest moves. My powermeter shows that total AC current never exceeds 5-6A. Probably this is because the batteries handle the current peaks and the PSU's mostly just recharge the batteries.
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ruba

ruba Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    5Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, Arduino
    @Grigory PSU running in parallel works well? No problems?
  6. Grigory

Balance:
    212Coins
    Ratings:
    +304 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, 6DOF

It works just fine. I now have two sims: 6 DOF with four PSU in parallel and 3 DOF with two PSU in parallel. Both are functioning without issues.
  7. ruba

ruba Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    5Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, Arduino
    @grirory Thanks, I had doubts about this
  8. Grigory

Balance:
    212Coins
    Ratings:
    +304 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, 6DOF
    Just keep in mind that my PSU explicitly support such operation and even have a special cable connection between units to coordinate it.

See Meanwell SDR-960-24
  9. ruba

ruba Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    5Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, Arduino
    Important addition, thanks.