1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom 6DOF rally simulator by Grizus :)

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Grizus, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Grizus

Grizus Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    349Coins
    Ratings:
    +98 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Here is the first movie from test :D :D :D :D Roll , Pitch , Heave , Yaw , Sway , Surge

60% of speed (150/255)
    100% of range of actuators

At the moment I'm VERY VERY happy - everything works and it's perfect :)

The tilts are huge !!- of course I will not use such large ;) huge limitation will introduce a leg grip

• Winner Winner x 13
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Grizus

Balance:
    349Coins
    Ratings:
    +98 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    and photos: D

1 (1).jpg 1 (2).jpg
    1 (3).jpg 1 (4).jpg
    1 (5).jpg 1 (6).jpg
    1 (7).jpg 1 (8).jpg
    1 (9).jpg 1 (10).jpg
    1 (11).jpg 1 (12).jpg
    • Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 3
  3. ferslash

ferslash Active Member

Balance:
    4,798Coins
    Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -0
    just beautifull congratulations. :D
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Really nice to see another actuator driven 6 DOF come to life :thumbs. I'm guessing that the room acoustics and microphone dynamics are making it sound allot louder then it really is - I know mine is not very loud at all - the rattle from my G27 wheel make more noise, as can be heard in this video.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  5. mariano68

mariano68 Active Member

builder contractor
    Balance:
    3,338Coins
    Ratings:
    +395 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, 4DOF
    Great job @Grizus ! In fact, having saw all the videos of the actuators in the forum and YT and also hearing my own, it doesn't sound too noisy, taking into account that you will never be moving all the range and more like short throws every time. @SeatTime your actuators are the paradigm of the silent actuators :), I can't think how much time you took with them designing and aligning, to sound like that (or to almost not sound at all).
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Grizus

Balance:
    349Coins
    Ratings:
    +98 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Thank you @SeatTime , @mariano68 , @ferslash ! In real, they are quieter than on movie, they are not quiet but also not too loud :) a little louder than yours @SeatTime.

Today I tested settings for NoLimits . I have a problem with PITCH and ROLL - when i turn on them individually in game for test, they do not work smoothly, but always stick in the same places ( place on the track, no on actuator ), is it a problem with the game or I can not do it well ?? Other forces are working properly (YAW I have disabled)
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  7. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @Grizus Yea thought they were not 'that' loud - @mariano68 - I went to a stupid amount of time/trouble to reduce any noise to the a bare minimum (even used rubber to minimize resonance in a few areas). I cannot stand any loud noise from my sim, unless it matches what I expect to hear in the real world. Even moved away from RC servos for my G-seat due to the gear buzzing you get when they are in motion, as I feel it breaks immersion. @Grizus - I recommend you open up and activate 'virtual axis' in Simtools' and run NoLimits2 or Assetto Corsa in AI mode (or any other game that you can run in AI) and monitor the game data against what your sim is doing. You can also ensure when doing this that your axis data is not clipping - when the data clips you will get these odd stops in motion while the sim waits for the data to move out of the clipping region - not good in my opinion. Heave is the only one that I will often let clip, so that I can run a lower Tuning Center setting without having the sim moving 'too' much in that axis. Congratulations again on having a working 6DOF actuator driven sim - I know from experience that it is no small task for a DIYer.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Grizus

Balance:
    349Coins
    Ratings:
    +98 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    @SeatTime, thanks for this hint, I went this route, I got acquainted with the "virtual axis" and it looks like these "strange" reactions just come from the game so everything is fine. I also installed the Assetto Corsa and after some minor adjustments in the "tuning center" and "profile editor" I can not get off from the simulator - it's really cool, surprisingly small movements are needed to get the proper effects

I will make soon a movie with the ride :)

Thank you very much once again :) at the end of the building i was already tired of it but now i forgot everything ;)

Now I use the simulator in front of the TV, I do not have VR goggle yet (I decided to buy Pimax 8K on kickstarter, so I will wait a bit) I can not imagine how cool it will be with VR goggle, I think, I can not stand it and I buy Oculus for this waiting time :p
    • Like Like x 2
  9. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hope my comments helped, once you go VR you will never go back to TV panels. From my own experience, people who have never played simulations on a computer, but have of course driven a real car - find VR so much more natural then siting in from of a flat TV screen. They do not need to re-learn what they are use to in a real car as all the visual queue's are the same. With motion it is just more so.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Grizus

Balance:
    349Coins
    Ratings:
    +98 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I have a few days testing and a couple of games configured :) I do not want to leave my simulator :D below the movie as my girlfriend is driving WRC in finland in Dirt Rally ;) rolls on the last corner :roll:roll:roll :)

At this moment unfortunately we use like this (in front of the TV, normally in the headphones but for the movie on the speakers), we are waiting for the VR gogle Pimax (February?) and by the end of the year I will equip my simulator with steering wheel (this set https://www.simracingbay.com/product/simucube-based-osw-kit-with-cm110-case/ ), pedals - I will do base on ready rally pedalbox and I want to make H shifter (I already have a project, something I have not seen in the market yet ) - just I want to do, that the simulator will be my training car and behaved just like my real rally car ( subaru impreza )
    • Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. mariano68

mariano68 Active Member

builder contractor
    Balance:
    3,338Coins
    Ratings:
    +395 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, 4DOF
    It is a good idea to let your girlfriend drive the simulator first on Dirt Rally, that way she will never ask again for driving it after that last roll! :grin
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Edson Lourenço Bezerra

Edson Lourenço Bezerra Edson Bezerra - Desenvolvedor Open Source

Analista de Sistema
    Balance:
    147Coins
    Ratings:
    +24 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF
    Simply a show, how did the feedback read changed at the end of the project?
  13. Seth2Christ

Seth2Christ Member

Balance:
    192Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I really like the design of your 6DOF

Just a question, how do you get in?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. AceOfSpies

AceOfSpies Living the Dream!

Balance:
    19,614Coins
    Ratings:
    +244 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK, Motion platform
    QUOTE="Grizus, post: 143503, member: 25390"]I have a few days testing and a couple of games configured :) I do not want to leave my simulator :D below the movie as my girlfriend is driving WRC in finland in Dirt Rally ;) rolls on the last corner :roll:roll:roll :)

At this moment unfortunately we use like this (in front of the TV, normally in the headphones but for the movie on the speakers), we are waiting for the VR gogle Pimax (February?) and by the end of the year I will equip my simulator with steering wheel (this set https://www.simracingbay.com/product/simucube-based-osw-kit-with-cm110-case/ ), pedals - I will do base on ready rally pedalbox and I want to make H shifter (I already have a project, something I have not seen in the market yet ) - just I want to do, that the simulator will be my training car and behaved just like my real rally car ( subaru impreza )[/QUOTE]

Hi @Grizus very nice build. Just a note, your roll seems to be reversed. When the car turns left, the sim should lean right, and the opposite for turning right, it should lean left. The way you have it in the video is the way I would st it up for rollercoasters or flying, but not for driving, as the "lean" simulates centrifugal force when cornering.

Mike
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. hooshang

hooshang Active Member

Balance:
    289Coins
    Ratings:
    +157 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, AC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    congratulation...:thumbs
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Grizus

Balance:
    349Coins
    Ratings:
    +98 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    @AceOfSpies , at the beginning I had the roll set as you say the opposite, at high speeds it was really cool and it made the impression of force but the problem occurs with low speed or zero speed, for example when I'm stop, the car in game is tilted to the right but my simulator is tilted to the left ( wrong ) or when I'm driving and the right side go on kerb, but in simulator reacts left side ( wrong ) . I came to the conclusion that the roll parameter sent from the game is the actual position of the car, not force. When I reverse roll there are incorrect feelings in the simulator, apart in high speed turns, then it may seem like everything is ok :/ My current settings seem to be the same with real feelings...
  17. Grizus

Balance:
    349Coins
    Ratings:
    +98 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Thanks ! :)

I get in there from the top :) through 3 step ladder ;)

0750577-11.jpg
  18. Grizus

Balance:
    349Coins
    Ratings:
    +98 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    she is different ;) when she get in, there is no power to get her out, no matter what happens ;) she drives with me in amateur races/rallies as a pilot ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  19. mariano68

mariano68 Active Member

builder contractor
    Balance:
    3,338Coins
    Ratings:
    +395 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, 4DOF
    So, you're making another sim for her!;)
    I was thinking about getting a similar ladder!
  20. Seth2Christ

Seth2Christ Member

Balance:
    192Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Yes! Two sim to race against each other!