1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom First racing seat Build (3 DoF planned)

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by PaYFrog, Oct 23, 2017.

1. PaYFrog

PaYFrog New Member

Balance:
    261Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Dear friends of Sims,

I´m happy that i found my way to this community. I had seen a lot posts till now and I´m a little bit unsure if I should post mine here..

It won´t help and I think it don´t hurt somebody so I will post it anyway.

I started with my first build ever 1 1/2 weeks ago. The first thing I did was cut some wood and look out for the dimensions I would need for it.

(picture coming soon)

After that I started to build the frame. Since I was doing this with a friend at the weekend, it happens that I didn´t made pictures while building. Anyway this is how it turns out:

(picture coming soon)

The first thing I realized the next day: The seat is to low and the table to high... I spend another h to find the right height for the seat/table and doing some cablemanagement that nobody needed at this stage of the build... xD

(picture coming soon)

(picture coming soon)

(picture coming soon)

(picture coming soon)

The pedals will be changed, the new ones allready on the way. In fact of having some small and some tall friend I try to get all as flexible as I can. Pedals and Seat can be moved.

Next Step was to testfit a TV. I had this one hanging on my but I don´t use it that much. So I mounted it to see how it will work out. (Note: Gameplay will be with my Coulus Rift DK2. TV is for other Persons around.)

(picture coming soon)

(picture coming soon)

After that I was happy that i used wood to build the first time. It doesn´t took 2h and I meassured and cut all down. I wanted the front to be a little bit smaller. This is how it turned out then:

(picture coming soon)

(picture coming soon)

(picture coming soon)

(picture coming soon)

Since then i didn´t worked at it. For now I´m waiting for some materials i need.

Notes:

-The seat wood tower will be replaced
    - small construction so I can move the seat
    - seat will get a 2 DoF movement
    - back will be extended a little bit for the motors and electroniks

-The hole construct will be placed on a seperate base
    - the base will get 1 DoF movement for TL
    - the base will be easy to remove for transportation

-If all fits as i wish it will be rebuild
    - not sure what material I will use for rebuilding it
    - it has to be transportable (I will use it at some LANs I visit frequently)

Questions:
    - Do u think wood will do for first tests?
    - How do u would fix the TV? VESA mount or normal mounting?
    - Software Question:
    - If I get it to LANs, is it still a Private License I need? (If I let peaple drive/play for fun.)

I know there are a lot of heavy and cool builds, pls imagine that this is my first one.
    Since i will use a VR for Racing, there is no need for a extended cockpit. My first goal is to get this ready, then I will think about better gear. :)

Thanks for reading, I would be pleasured if u have some tips and help for me.

Greetz
    PaYFrog
    • Like Like x 3
  2. PaYFrog

PaYFrog New Member

Balance:
    261Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    So I failed with my first thread...

The pictures:

1. Part:
    IMG_6003.JPG

2. Part:
    IMG_6037.JPG

3. Part:
    IMG_6064.JPG
    IMG_6065.JPG
    IMG_6072.JPG
    IMG_6080.JPG

4. Part:
    IMG_6098.JPG

5. Part:
    IMG_6126.JPG
    IMG_6129.JPG
    IMG_6144.JPG
    IMG_6147.JPG
    IMG_6148.JPG
    IMG_6149.JPG

Well, those are the missing pictures. I know I messed up pretty much... hope u can forgive me. :O :D

Best greetz,
    PaYFrog
    • Like Like x 1
  3. PaYFrog

PaYFrog New Member

Balance:
    261Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Good day all :D

(This post includes several pictures)

I am pretty happy, cause I made some progress the last days. That´s why I will update the post the first time today.

The first thing is the electronic. I hooked up everything, programmed the Arduino with SMC3 and tested all.
    IMG_6229.JPG
    This was the first step. I´m using a 1kW PSU I had laying around. Since I will do my first build with wiper motors I´m sure this will be enough.

For the cooling of the MonsterMoto I want to use an old GPU cooler. It´s cut in 2 halfs and I hope it will do the job.
    IMG_6329.JPG IMG_6328.JPG IMG_6330.JPG IMG_6355.JPG IMG_6356.JPG IMG_6358.JPG

While surfing at ebay I found some ClubSport Pedals from Fanatec for 50€ incl. shipping. Those arrived pretty fast and I´m very happy about them.
    One day after that I purchased DirtRally für 11€ in sale so I had to add a handbrake now. Thanks to a Tread in this Forum I´m able to link them with the Pedals. Thanks a lot @RacingMat for this Thread. :D
    IMG_6273.JPG
    IMG_6292.JPG
    IMG_6276.JPG IMG_6277.JPG IMG_6289.JPG IMG_6325.JPG
    Until I recieve all parts I will hold the handbrake in place with springs. :D
    • Like Like x 1
  4. PaYFrog

PaYFrog New Member

Balance:
    261Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    The next step an the last thing I did was to geht a base for the chair. I searched nearly 4 days... in the middle of the night I found the driveshaft of an old Mercedes for 20€ incl. shipping. It arrived and 15min later I made the first cut. :D
    The Pictures will explain the rest. The welding isn´t good since I have to get a new welder.. it kicked my fuse several times.. (stopped counting after the tenth time...) That´s a cosmetic issue cause the construction is strong enough (made some inhumen tests), but it will be replaced later. :)
    IMG_6331.JPG IMG_6335.JPG IMG_6337.JPG IMG_6338.JPG IMG_6339.JPG IMG_6340.JPG IMG_6341.JPG IMG_6342.JPG IMG_6343.JPG

More steps in the next post. I have some issues uploading all files in one post. :D
    • Like Like x 1
  5. PaYFrog

PaYFrog New Member

Balance:
    261Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    After I seperated all parts needed, I started to get everything fit. Later I decided to cut some more parts down because I got some serieus problems with the heights of shaft.
    IMG_6344.JPG IMG_6345.JPG IMG_6346.JPG IMG_6347.JPG IMG_6348.JPG IMG_6351.JPG IMG_6352.JPG IMG_6353.JPG IMG_6377.JPG IMG_6380.JPG IMG_6381.JPG IMG_6384.JPG
    At this point I was able to avoid getting to high. 2cm more height are still good to fit the seat and have enough room for the legs and everything else.

I will add the slider for the seats tomorrow, fix the shaft at the buttom plate, see what I can do with the material I still have left.

Thanks for reading/watching the post/pictures. Thanks for all the good Informations in the several posts in this Forum! I will keep going and see where I end up with the V1 of my Project.

Greets,
    PaYFrog :D
    • Like Like x 3
  6. RandomCoder

RandomCoder Active Member Gold Contributor

Control Engineer
    Balance:
    1,674Coins
    Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    Looking good!
    I've read several times that it is better to make the pedals adjustable and leave the seat in the optimum position for its centre of gravity. This way you save placing your motors under any unnecessary strain.
    But of course it's your design and you can choose which ever method you prefer.
    Very nice progress, can't wait to see it working!
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. PaYFrog

PaYFrog New Member

Balance:
    261Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Thanks @RandomCoder. I started building without any informations so this is really usefull. The Padels can be placed in 2 positions and this will be enough for the most persons. I will keep that in mind and will use this in the V2, so thanks for the advise. At moment I may have the option to change the settig. I will check this tomorrow and see if it will work out. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. gSeat

gSeat Member

Balance:
    910Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    One day after that I purchased DirtRally für 11€ in sale so I had to add a handbrake now. Thanks to a Tread in this Forum I´m able to link them with the Pedals. Thanks a lot @@RacingMat for this Thread:D
    :D[/QUOTE]
    Can you post that link please?

That brake looks great!:thumbs
  9. PaYFrog

PaYFrog New Member

Balance:
    261Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    @gSeat U´re lucky, the sale is still activ at Steam:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/310560/DiRT_Rally/?l=german

The brake is now working, that was a work of maybe 10-20 minutes.
    I got the load cells from our old linguee that has to be replaced anyway..
    IMG_6400.JPG IMG_6401.JPG IMG_6403.JPG

Those are the same as the one in the Fanatec pedals...
    IMG_6402.JPG IMG_6404.JPG IMG_6405.JPG IMG_6406.JPG

The new one is mounted so the last thing I had to do was wiring it to the original small board. Since I don´t had the correct terminals I thought maybe give it a try with soldering. Worked perfectly.. :D
    IMG_6421.JPG IMG_6422.JPG IMG_6423.JPG IMG_6424.JPG

The red wire was a the first one and i used another thinner solder after that.
    The brake pedal works perfectly fine now and I got some nice padels for less 60€ so I´m pretty happy. :)

Today I have to recenter the shaft for my seat and then I will see what else I can do today.

Greets,
    PaYFrog
    • Like Like x 1
  10. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,890Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,083 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. PaYFrog

PaYFrog New Member

Balance:
    261Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    @RacingMat , it IS very helpfull. Just recieved the parts for a bridge for my handbrake today.

Actually the Clutch is a dead pedal, since i didn´t used it till now, but I know what u mean. I have to do some changes to the table again and will work this out at the same time. I think at the weenkend I will be able to do some more work. Until then I just can wait for more materials.

Greets,
    PaYFrog
    • Like Like x 1
  12. PaYFrog

PaYFrog New Member

Balance:
    261Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Good Morning :D

I finaly can update my Post today. A few things happend, some nice things, some bad things, but that´s how it is. :D

Lets start with the first good thing. While I was waiting for some materials I started working on the handbrake. The first thing I made was the electronics and the loadcells.
    IMG_6503.JPG IMG_6504.JPG

After I set up all, I recognized that i forgot the socket for the INA122PA...
    Well, who cares... I have plenty of broken mainboards, so please hold on to your seat for the following pictures ;)
    IMG_6505.JPG IMG_6506.JPG

I removed the socket from the board and.... u know allready ;)
    IMG_6507.JPG
    IMG_6508.JPG IMG_6509.JPG
    The last thing was to get the cables ready. The only thing I´m still waiting for is the connector wire all up to the pedals. If all fits I will mount it to the handbrake. :)
    IMG_6510.JPG IMG_6511.JPG

Lets go back to the frame now. With my woodwork I found a lot things I will do and some I will change. For the next step (rebuild) I got some material today. I also got a new welder so that I can work/weld better now.
    IMG_6614.JPG IMG_6615.JPG IMG_6616.JPG IMG_6617.JPG IMG_6618.JPG

The very last thing (I promise) ist the radiator that will be used to cool down the system that will run the Sim. It´s my beloved Aquacomputer Airplex 1800. It will be mounted at the Front of the Sim. Cooling the System, the feets, and looks like a cars radiator ;)
    IMG_6601.JPG IMG_6602.JPG

I will start with the new frame soon. Hope you like it, thanks for reading. :)

Greets,
    PaYFrog
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Seth2Christ

Seth2Christ Member

Balance:
    192Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Wahoo, indeed it may cool a max!
    it will be a little noisy?
  14. PaYFrog

PaYFrog New Member

Balance:
    261Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    No it won´t. Since it´s so big I can run the Fans at a minimum speed and that´s really silent. The rest of the build will generate more noise as the Radiator. :D
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Seth2Christ

Seth2Christ Member

Balance:
    192Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    It's great, good job.
    Looking forward to seeing once completed
  16. PaYFrog

PaYFrog New Member

Balance:
    261Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I orderd some other tools, to be sure that all will be straight later :D
  17. PaYFrog

PaYFrog New Member

Balance:
    261Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    First at all:
    Nice to be back here. :)

I had a really long time without any progress because of privat matters, after them I had to first get my FB page back running and now I will contine my seat. I will make some changes, like using other motors, other controllers, so on..

For the first update after this long time, I want to show all of u my interpratation of a force-based-handbrake.
    I postet the small curciut and the sensors long time ago (a few posts above), again thanks for the really good content of @RacingMat !

I made some 3D printed parts, so all sensors and the curcuit board as well as the potentiometer will be held in place. The "Pusher" is hold in place by a 21mm spring, so the sensors won´t fall out of the baseplate.
    The "PushPin" has to travel 6mm before the force will be put on the loadcells. The "Pusher" is printed with a infill that will bend a little bit, so it doesn´t feel like a straight force.

The electronic will be mounted at the outside (sitting left of it) and the poti will be easy reachable so u can adjust it anytime.

Still have top mount it and connect it to the padels..

Hope u will like it, if u have any questions feel free to ask.
    Nice to be able to be back. Thank u all. :)

Pictures: :D
    TSR Watermark - 40.JPG TSR Watermark - 41.JPG TSR Watermark - 42.JPG TSR Watermark - 43.JPG TSR Watermark - 44.JPG TSR Watermark - 45.JPG
    • Like Like x 1