1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tutorial How to convert your Frex SCM to SimTools - Updated

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by MasterYoda, Feb 21, 2009.

1. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    50,3239083457935498799%
  2. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Egoexpress is right. You have a 50% chance that your adapters will work. However, the product that you listed converts from USB to RS232. How do you intend to go from RS232 to RS485? Did you read the wiki on the matter of connectivity yet? Also, I did not find a thread for your simulator stating your goals etc.. with pictures. It is much easier to help when we have this info.
  3. viper221w

viper221w New Member

Technical Architect for Accenture
    Balance:
    333Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I haven't posted anything about my simulator as it's already built it's a straight Frex Simconmotion which I built in February. I had it working for four days before the simconbase unit packed in.

I posted some pic's of the RS232 to RS485 adapters further up in this thread if you want to take a look.
  4. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    I don't see the picture that you are refering to, but it sounds like you have nothing to lose by trying out your current adapters. Why not give it a shot. If it doesn't work out then buy an FTDI based solution.
  5. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Because he is waiting for the adapter cables still. Though they are shipped already, he will have to wait a few days more ;D
  6. viper221w

viper221w New Member

Balance:
    333Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If I got the FTDI usb to rs232 from that UK supplier and plugged it into the rs232 to rs485 adapter what are the chances of it not working?
  7. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Many of us successfully use FTDI based adapters with SCn5's. It is highly likely that they will work for you as well.
  8. viper221w

viper221w New Member

Balance:
    333Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I went ahead and ordered the FTDI adapters as I didn't want to risk hitting a brick wall this weekend and be stuck because nobody stocks these adapters locally.

As for the other adapters I bought I think I will simply stick them back on ebay.
  9. mrpio

mrpio New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello all!

First of all, let me say I'm new to this forum, and I'm totally impressed (and a bit overwhelmed) by the X-Sim software and all the great contributions I've seen so far. Thanks!

Bearing that in mind, I hope my question will not be out of place in this thread, and I apologize if it is.

I have a Frex setup, which I'm trying to convert now. Got the electronics, ripped the cables, installed X-sim, spent a few evenings, still no luck. Here's an overview:

1. Electronics are working, I can control the actuators from the SCN5 config in Profiler, e.g. by moving the actuator position slider.

2. Profiler is getting G-Force information from F-Sender, I can see the respective values change in the Input setup window when I run rFactor.

3. When I ran MasterYoda's rFactor Profile, the left/right actuator math objects started reacting to the game inputs. The blue line at the bottom of Math came alive. The R/L actuator math seem to be set to control the Left/Right Actuator position, in accordance with SCM5 0/1 naming in the SCN5 setup.

4. Still, no motion. Not even any change in the output monitor chart under R/L Actuator position

So, it seems like there is still no connection between r-factor's force output as seen by profiler, or the actuator math, and the actual Actuator position, accel, speed. Could any good soul point me to what I'm missing, because I don't see what else I can do.

Also, I cannot find information anywhere, if the profile (.rn5 or so) is necessary to run any game with X-sim. With rfactor, MasterYoda's profile was the only thing that connected the inputs with (unfortunately, theoretical) actuator outputs. But, while there are plugins available for all supported games, I cannot find profiles for many other games. Does that mean I have to develop them myself?

Thanks for any help. I hope that an answer on the forum will be helpful for many lame users like myself. :)

Cheers, and respect

Piotr
  10. MasterYoda

MasterYoda Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Mr. Pio,

Welcome to x-Sim!

Although you say you see the input values changing, could you confirm you properly installed the rF plugin in your rfactor/plugin folder?
    You press try send data on the sender, then start on the profiler and you get no error msgs?

As you can move the actuators, it seems to be just a simples step that is missing somewhere.

If you don't find a profile, you will need to develop one.

Cheers,
  11. mrpio

mrpio New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello Yoda!

Thanks for your reply!

So, first of all, yes, I have put the plugin in the rF Plugins directory, and it obviously works from there.

Secondly, I forgot to mention - Yes, the Start button has problems - it shows an error opening the com ports (they became assigned as 9 and 10 on my setup)

Yeah, the most important thing. I guess everything got confused in my head. How that is possible when the Profiler does move the actuators manually, I don't know, but there's something to it. I just went through hoping that running the game from Sender (rfactor plugin selected) would be enough.

So, I guess what I'm looking for is a reason why the Profiler cannot open the comports when Start is pressed.

Thanks again for your reply. When I get through this, I promise to contribute a dummy's guide to setup for the wiki :)

Cheers!
  12. mrpio

mrpio New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Alright, I got it - in amock, I set the two ports on the USO list, and so they got occupied. Removed them rFactor is working now!

Not very impressed with it yet, especially the side forces seem very weak and inconsistent (MMG F1), while the vertical (bump) forces are very acute, but that's just the start. After all, you say that your neck ached after some time driving, so maybe it is me having done something wrong again.

What matters is that it works, so I have somewhere to start from. Thanks for your inspiration in solving the problem :)

Cheers

Piotr
  13. Ringorumble

Ringorumble Active Member

Balance:
    190Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    upps, you did it already
  14. viper221w

viper221w New Member

Balance:
    333Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I received my SCN5 cables today from Christian and I now have my FTDI based USB to RS232 adapters, so I am all set to wire things up once I finish work and get testing. I just wanted to check though can someone confirm the wiring configuration for my RS485 adapter so I am 100% clear, I have attached a photo that shows the RS485 configuration.

I just want to be 100% clear which wire goes to which terminal.

My RS485 is marked (D+, D-, GND, 5-12v) I wanted to know what TRx White, 5V Brown, TRx Yellow and GND green correspond to, GND is straight forward :)

DSCF1714.JPG
  15. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Refferring to the cables which I have sent you:

Brown -> 5V-12V
    Green -> GND
    white -> D-
    yellow ->D+

or

Brown -> 5V-12V
    Green -> GND
    white -> D+
    yellow ->D-

It does not harm anything to switch the data wires D- and D+. Just try it out to find the matching configuration.
    But prevent misplacing 5V and GND, as this could cause some damage.

Regards
  16. viper221w

viper221w New Member

Balance:
    333Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Christian!
  17. viper221w

viper221w New Member

Balance:
    333Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I hit a snag, I have wired the SCN5 actuators to the RS485 adapter and switched everything on including the 24volt powersupply. When I go into Profiler2 the SCN5 devices are not showing up even though the FTDI RS232 drivers are configured correctly.

com_export.JPG

profiler.JPG

DSCF1716.JPG

Do you think I need to swap the white and yellow wires around?

Thanks,

Paul
  18. mrpio

mrpio New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Swapping them did the trick for me (my signal terminals were named A and B, A was white)
  19. viper221w

viper221w New Member

Balance:
    333Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That did the trick!
  20. viper221w

viper221w New Member

Balance:
    333Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, so tonight I gave my simulator a thorough shakedown with the new x-sim software, I am glad to say the USB to RS232 adapters are working a treat with no problems whatsoever. I started out with Masteryoda's profile for rfactor and soon started to make a few changes I removed the wash-out config and changed all the axis to 100%, now I get more of the road vibration I had with Frex software.

I finally ended up with something pretty close to the Pure G setting in the simconmotion software, however my only gripe is with the latteral movement compared with the Frex Simconmotion software it just doesn't seem enough.

Do the SCN5 really need as much as a 25% limiter, is there anything else I can do to get more latteral movement?

I also think the braking an acceleration forces seem a little weaker, in the G-Force setting in the Math calculator how do I determine the maximum peak value. In Masteryoda's profiles they are around 6000 peak, how do I find out what the maximum is and will it make any difference changing it?

Thanks,

Paul :hi: