1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

PRUSA I3 MK3 Released

Discussion in '3D Printing' started by Hoddem, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Hoddem

Hoddem Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    3,342Coins
    Ratings:
    +715 / 2 / -0

Just got the email from Prusa Research and they are releasing the new version of the Prusa I3 in november and pre-orders start now. 749 kit or 999 built usd plus 70 shipping.

http://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-printers/180-original-prusa-i3-mk3-kit.html

As an owner of the MK2S I can say these are the best printers for the money.

Here are the details

MK3 New features
    • Filament sensor
    • Power Panic
    • RPM sensing fans and Noctua
    • Ambient thermistor and P.I.N.D.A 2 with thermistor
    • EINSY RAMBo motherboard
    • Trinamic2130 drivers with layer shift detection, faster and silent printing
    • New Y axis
    • Bondtech extruder
    • Magnetic MK52 Heatbed
    • Powder coated PEI spring steel print sheet
    • Ready for OctoPrint
    sounds like there will not be upgrade kits because of all the changes. notice the lower frame is now extruded aluminum rather then all the threaded rods so assembly will be super simple.

here is the email I recieved

Hi from New York's Maker Faire,

If you haven't noticed it yet from the buzz on social media, yesterday we unveiled Original Prusa I3 MK3 and its already available to preorder.

It has the following neat features:

Filament sensor
    Power Panic
    RPM sensing fans and Noctua
    Ambient thermistor and P.I.N.D.A 2 with thermistor
    EINSY RAMBo motherboard
    Trinamic2130 drivers with layer shift detection, faster and silent printing
    New Y axis
    Bondtech extruder
    Magnetic MK52 Heatbed
    Powder coated PEI spring steel print sheet
    Ready for OctoPrint

Learn more about cool MK3 features in video and article
    Some said, it is not possible to get all these features into a $749 machine, so I did an improvised on-site demonstration of the Original Prusa i3 MK3's new features - skipped layers detection, power failure and filament runout. Pretty cool, right? :) You can watch it on our Facebook.

If you want to learn more about Trinamic drivers - there's an excellent article on HackADay

Some frequent questions have arisen since yesterday and I want to answer those to light some burden off the shoulders of our support team.

What about the upgrade?
    It's written in the article, but that sometimes gets overlooked. A full upgrade is not possible because of the new frame and 12v to 24 switch, you would get a whole new printer. We came up with the second-best option - you can get to MK2.5 with magnetic bed and a complete new extruder with Bondtech, filament sensor, Noctua fan and new P.I.N.D.A. Upgrade will be available to preorder during the week.

Will the MK2 Multi Material from MK2/MK2S be compatible with MK3/2.5?
    Yes, you will just need to print out some parts. MM3 Multimaterial is going to have 3 more filament sensors but they will be available to buy separately.

What about the new surface? I like its look but I need a smooth surface for some parts.
    It probably won't be ready for launch but we’re going to have sheets with different “roughness” and also we’re testing the right glue to use regular PEI sheets as a surface option as well. They will available to buy separately.

I just got my MK2S couple days ago and I don't like it has been discounted since.
    We're offering a 100 USD discount (or price it has been lowered for in other currencies) as a discount for MK2.5 upgrade or you just use it as a credit voucher in our e-shop for anything else you would like. Please don't contact our support about that right now (they really have too much on their plate at this moment), we're going to send an e-mail with vouchers during the next week. And do not forget, you can print now for whole 2 months with an award-winning MK2S while others will still be waiting for MK3. :) MK3 prints just as good as MK2S, it just has more convenience features.

My MK2S is still unshipped...
    .. yes, we will refund you the price difference or change it for MK3 with an additional payment of the price difference. We do care!
    Happy Printing and after Maker Faire NYC, you can visit us at TCT Birmingham if you get a chance… We're flying there today!
    Jo Prusa
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Hoddem

Hoddem Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    3,342Coins
    Ratings:
    +715 / 2 / -0
    Upgrade information
    http://shop.prusa3d.com/en/printer-upgrades/179-original-prusa-i3-mk2s-to-mk25-upgrade-kit.html

Unfortunately a full upgrade from Original Prusa i3 M2/S to MK3 is not possible (and we have really discussed this extensively) due to the new frame and switching to 24V. We tried really hard, but basically, all parts would end up replaced. So we came up with the second best option, the MK2.5 upgrade. It gives you the best features of magnetic bed with spring steel sheet, whole new extruder head with Bondtech and Noctua fans goodness and also the P.I.N.D.A. 2 bed leveling sensor and filament sensor.

The retail MK2 to MK2.5 upgrade price is $199. If MK2S was bought during the last 30 days before this release, it is just $99. If you bought MK2/S before, ever, it will be $149 for you.
    We know it’s a really great deal but the magnetic heatbed and the extruder improvements are extremely useful and we want to spread them rapidly :).

It is not available to order yet. Please do not contact our support about the discounts, we're going to send upgrade vouchers by e-mail in a couple of days. We expect to start shipping at the end of November.

Upgrade kit contains:

• 1x Magnetic MK52 Heatbed with powder coated PEI spring steel print sheet 12v
    • 1x Bondtech extruder gears
    • 1x Filament Sensor
    • 1x P.I.N.D.A 2 with thermistor
    • 1x Noctua fan 12v
    • 200g EasyABS filament
    G-code files to print on your MK2/S will be available prior to the release in Prusa i3 printable parts

You can check out what is new in the article on PrusaPrinters.org.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 39 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Yea, I received the email. Lots of nice upgrades in the Mk3 which will just make the Original Prusa I3 even better and easier to build with the new Y axis. I'm certainly no 3D printing expert, but I'm very happy with my Mk2, which just does what it is suppose to do, easily without any fuss. Even printed Nylon the other day perfectly, once I found the ideal temperature with two small test prints. Will I purchase the Mk2.5 upgrade kit? Don't know - at the moment I really don't 'need' the improvements for what I use the printer for.
  4. Hoddem

Hoddem Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    3,342Coins
    Ratings:
    +715 / 2 / -0
    I hear you,
    I like all the improvements, but I can't justify buying a new one and not sure I will even spend the money on the 2.5 upgrade. I do wish the frame of the mk2 was a little more rigid though and I assume the extrusion will help with that a lot.

It will be interesting to see how upgrades for the 3 are handled now that most people will be left at 2.5 or earlier.

Love my Prusa though and I actually sold my monoprice maker ultimate because the Prusa just works.
  5. Ian Rattray

Ian Rattray New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    128Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    @@^$#^@&* 2 months after I bought the MK2S ...