1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom Budget Steel 6dof w/ MM (Now Sabertooth 2X60), Arduino, Chinese 12v Motors

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by CLEOPHUS, Sep 3, 2016.

1. bruce stephen

bruce stephen Hammer doesnt fix it, must be electrical

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,237 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    lol wait till hes a teenager with a license. you best get him in karts or something after this.:grin
  2. CLEOPHUS

CLEOPHUS Member

Balance:
    229Coins
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Good luck - I'm sure it will work out. I ended up buying 4 sparkfun MM because I was tired of buying junk. ($320 USD) The build quality is much better on the sparkfun versions, but I guess it should be with the extra cost.
  3. bruce stephen

bruce stephen Hammer doesnt fix it, must be electrical

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,237 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    $320 wow thats enough cash to buy 50 clones. I believe sparkfun may be overcharging at this point. One would think they would adjust their prices. but maybe they realize the junk that is being sold.....
    • Like Like x 1
  4. CLEOPHUS

CLEOPHUS Member

Balance:
    229Coins
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I completely agree they are overcharging - but my time is valuable too. Soldering 20 jumpers and 6 power cables every time two burn up takes a lot of time. So far - no problems at all with them. I have purchased 36 clones with not much luck!
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Diogo Kruger

Diogo Kruger New Member

Balance:
    232Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hey CHEOPHUS,

Hows the rig holding up??
  6. CLEOPHUS

CLEOPHUS Member

Balance:
    229Coins
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    It's been great. Been using it for a year now and there have been no major issues.

Games I have used on the sim:

Dirt Rally
    Project Cars
    Assetto Corsa
    Flight Simulator X
    X Plane 11
    iRacing.com
    EliteDangerous
    GTA5

Every now and then I crank up the effects too much and I might bend a threaded rod, but they are only $3.50 USD each, so no big deal. My personal favorite is using the classic supercars on Assetto Corsa like the Lamborghini Miura or the Ferrari F40. They feel great.

My son loves to use the carts on Project Cars.

Looking forward to Project Cars 2.
  7. Diogo Kruger

Diogo Kruger New Member

Balance:
    232Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Awesome!!

Im gathering parts to build a 6DOF very similar to yours. I really would like to replicate your base. Would you mind sharing the rough dimension of your base?

Thanks

Diogo K.
  8. CLEOPHUS

CLEOPHUS Member

Balance:
    229Coins
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    56.25 inches across - measuring from the center of each base piece.

Ironically, after I said that everything was going great, the MM's caught fire and I am now adding 3 car batteries and switching to 3 - Sabertooth 2x60's. I'll post some updates soon.
  9. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    You wont regret the switch to sabertooths , Yes the wallet takes a hit but in the grand scheme of things once connected and the required precautions taken ( i.e Resistor of batteries for Regen absorption depending on type of sabertooth) you'll save that down the line big time ...just my 2 cents worth :)
  10. CLEOPHUS

CLEOPHUS Member

Balance:
    229Coins
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    So Sabertooth testing has commenced. Here is a shot of the new wiring for 2 motors.

20170830_215520.jpg

So far - they seem way better than the MM's.

I'm able to crank the PWM all the way up without any heat at all. Can't wait to really test them with weight.

Here is what I added so far:

3 - Sabertooth 2X60 @ $189.00 USD each http://www.robotshop.com/en/sabertooth-dual-motor-driver.html
    3 - BEP 701 Marine Battery Switches @ $19.58 USD each
    3 - Install Gear Power Distribution block @ $7.58 USD each
    3 - AutoCraft Deep Cycle Marine Batteries (75AH) @ $84.99 USD Each https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...ttery-group-size-24m-550-cca-24dc-1/2080060-P
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Brett Horton

Brett Horton Active Member

Program Manager / Pilot
    Balance:
    118Coins
    Ratings:
    +202 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK, Motion platform
    No problems with overcharging the batteries while in use? I am in the first stages of a 6DOF and like your simple design with the 12v motors. Just trying to come to terms with the wiring you show.
    Thanks!
  12. CLEOPHUS

CLEOPHUS Member

Balance:
    229Coins
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I completely agree - the wiring is a bit crazy and I was overthinking it too. Here is a rough diagram I made a few weeks ago to help explain it better. The only change is the battery switch on the negative wires. No overcharging.

AFS.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Brett Horton

Brett Horton Active Member

Program Manager / Pilot
    Balance:
    118Coins
    Ratings:
    +202 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK, Motion platform
    Excellent thanks.
  14. Squonk

Squonk Member

Balance:
    482Coins
    Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    @CLEOPHUS, I really like the neatness of your build. I'm in the midst of my own right now, using aluminum instead of steel. If you don't mind, I have a question. On the first page of your build thread, @SilentChill recommended, "Also you may need to get the arms a bit further out from the levers else they might bind in the lower position of the axis and end up bending the arms. " It sounds like you confirmed that that was a problem, and fixed it, but I can't tell from your photos what you did. Can you provide some detail? Thanks!
  15. CLEOPHUS

CLEOPHUS Member

Balance:
    229Coins
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I ended up doing exactly what he drew up. The first image is the original design with his drawing and the second is the final design. Hope that helps.

Screenshot_2016-09-04-20-46-13.jpg

IMG_20161027_225337.jpg
  16. Squonk

Squonk Member

Balance:
    482Coins
    Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Thanks. I saw that you modified the support for the pedals has he suggested. I was wondering more about what you might have done to "move the arms out from the levers." I apologize if I am missing something obvious. Did you somehow modify the mounting of the arms to the levers on the motor shafts?
  17. CLEOPHUS

CLEOPHUS Member

Balance:
    229Coins
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Sorry - I misunderstood your question. That photo was taken just as a dry fit, so I agreed with him that they appeared to be at extreme angles. Once fully assembled and levers were set to the proper angles, everything was great - so no modification needed.
  18. Squonk

Squonk Member

Balance:
    482Coins
    Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Ah, perfect! And good to know. Thank you!
  19. zgseat

zgseat New Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    135Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Looks cool,it must took lots of time and effort。hope it works ok,would like to follow the performance。
  20. sim2go

sim2go Member

Operator
    Balance:
    273Coins
    Ratings:
    +72 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Motion platform
    Really clean looking build.
    As you went trough 12V motors from ali, wanted to ask - how they are holding up?

I see You chose 350w ones, but there are 500w ones available -
    do anyone encountered them and if so - would MMs deal with that much power? If not - what drivers would?
    Thanks