1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Playseat Revolution to 2DOF

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by dr.feelgood, Apr 19, 2017.

1. dr.feelgood

dr.feelgood Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    481Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi!

Finally decided to try Traction Loss. Because i'm not sure weather to be able to keep it, i made just a try-out kit.

3 ball bearings to back, to front one bearing...one like from shopping cart. One motor bolted to the back of frame and just T-shape flat metal 'gutter'? i had for years. One more arduino with IBT-2 and no welding to frame at all.

For stability i added 2 more small 40mm wheels bolted to the front corners of frame. Frame is just lifted over this set.

Pictures...
    P1000895.jpg P1000905.jpg P1000903.jpg P1010700.jpg P1010703.jpg

Have been testing a lot and it seems that i have a bit too little side-to-do-side movement. It is not always so clear when back breaks out. Sometimes i notice it only after when slide stops and comes back to normal. Still tuning....

I also made adjustable shift-light by eaorobbie, will get back to that later (had to purchase pro license for Dash).
  2. dr.feelgood

Balance:
    481Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi!

I made custom brackets for motor fans. Getting hang on 3D-printing :)

20170724_204459.jpg
    20170724_210239.jpg
    20170724_210250.jpg
    20170724_204048.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dr.feelgood

Balance:
    481Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi all!

Traction loss was in use for some time and now it is gone... I broke two old wipermotors with it. Somehow i did not get it tuned so that it would not hit physical limits and finally gears broke down.

Oh well, it was for test anyhow. Best result/feeling i got with it, was to disable sway, so it would not mix my head ;)

:oops: End of summer and end of fun... I have changed this to seat-shaker only and moved it in-da-house...

First impression was a big disappointment, but after little tuning and trying out some race tracks, i hope it will satisfy my needs over winter... Rallying is not the same, thou.
  4. dr.feelgood

Balance:
    481Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi! Here are some pictures my current setup. So it's seat mover only and i modified it by fixing pedal-support to base and before that i turned whole thing 180 degrees. That i did partly for safety reasons.

seatmover11 (1280 x 1145).jpg seatmover12 (1280 x 1028).jpg seatmover13 (1280 x 855).jpg

And here are couple of racing videos...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    do you need to keep the ibt-2 cool with any fans ?

how many watts / amps / N are your motors ?
  6. dr.feelgood

Balance:
    481Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi @Gadget999 !

I have boxed both IBT's in the same box with Ard Uno. 80mm fan on other end of box blows air thru them -> no heat problems. My motors draw only few amps, ~40w or so, i have not found specific data anywhere. I use 10 Amp fuse on each motor, as you can see them on power source. Motors themselves do get hot and i use other 80mm fans over them. Hope this helps!
  7. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    thanks for the feedback - my motors don't seem to get hot at all, the ibt-2 do seem to get hot but its under control with the fans :)
  8. dr.feelgood

Balance:
    481Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi all!

I little video about noise that my rig makes.... I try to make it more environmental friendly :)