1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Do I have EMI issues? OSW Small mige (pre Simucube) - help!

Discussion in 'Direct Drive Wheels' started by hiohaa, Sep 18, 2017.

1. hiohaa

hiohaa New Member

Balance:
    218Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    hi guys,
    i've run an Ollies kit Small mige since December 2015 with no single problem at all.
    I never bothered screwing all the control box bits in place , never grounded anything, nothing - it just worked, out the box, with no issues at all.

I have 2x fanatec wheels, shifter and pedals, all going to 1 usb hub, which is connected via extension cable to the PC.
    The OSW usb was connected to a 2nd USB hub which then was also connected to the PC.

I moved everything to a sim rig about 2 weeks ago and had no issues whatsoever.

Then after formatting and everything, i'm now getting mis shifts when changing gear with paddles - maybe every few corners its just not changing gear despite multiple taps on the paddle, then it'll suddenly change - its just random and intermittent.

i thought it was the wheel so tried the fanatec wheel - exactly the same issue. Tried plugging them into different usb ports, or directly to the PC instead of via ahub - same issue.

Nothing has worked.

Do i have EMI issues and if so what should i ground to what? I do'nt know where to start. Check out the video of my setup which may give a better idea. I'm virtually in tears (lol) , i literally cannot play games anymore until i get this fixed and cannot understand why it's suddenly doing this now.

I'd understand if i'd moved it all to the rig and it was doing it immediately but that wasn't the case. What is going on?!
  2. hiohaa

hiohaa New Member

Balance:
    218Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    ok, it IS EMI.
    I turned off the FFB using the emergency stop, and had a go - all shifts were fine.

So my next question - how do i go about grounding my 2 fanatec wheels? They are both USB.

The USB Cable did come with a ground wire + the other core wires which soldered onto the Teensy LC board - is this what i need to solder to the quick release bolted on the back?
  3. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK

Yes you'll want to get the ground from the Board (the thick cable soldered to the PCB) and you need to get that to ground to the motor itself, either through the QR or through a coiled cable.
  4. hiohaa

hiohaa New Member

Balance:
    218Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    i thought i'd just follow up incase anyone else has the same issue as me and wants to know how to fix it.
    Well, i did fix it - all i did was ground the servo wheel itself only, and it fixed the issue. amazing.
    I followed the excellent guide by Beano here:
    https://forum.virtualracing.org/sho...ONI-based-DIY-DD-FFB-Wheel-(Extensive-worklog

(Ctrl+F "Grounding your system")

i got the parts from RS components here in the UK - 16awg wire for cables running outside of any controller, and 20awg wire for anything inside (which i haven't used in the end).
    Ring connectors, red, m4 and m6 in size.

Done.
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1