1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Economical AC motor types question

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by MrHodeifa, Jul 25, 2017.

1. MrHodeifa

MrHodeifa New Member

Balance:
    266Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    Hi All,
    I am considering to build an economical ac powerred motor sim, but still not sure what type of Ac motor to use, since there are asynchronous induction motor (IM) or switched reluctance motor (permanent magnet assisted (PMA Syn-RM) and non assisted (Syn-RM)). Could someone give a hint ?

Cheers
    Hodeifa
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  2. hooshang

hooshang Active Member

Balance:
    289Coins
    Ratings:
    +157 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, AC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
  3. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    You can read @speedy article which is very good.

Contacting @speedy may be a problem. He's been missing in action for almost three months. I've tried pm'ing his with no results. He lives in Egypt and I do worry for
    he and his family.

Tom
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. MrHodeifa

MrHodeifa New Member

Balance:
    266Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    Hi Tom,
    I've been following speedy's article and saw You there as well :), such an inspiring discussion. I noticed that not many AC motor hero in this forum, so the information is quite limited. Let's hope and pray they are fine and comeback soon to share most of the valuable knowledge.

Induction AC motor for me is more practical, since don't need much supporting system like psu and battery also very easy to get locally. I actually would like to have a sharing experience mostly about the accuracy and response time of the rig compare to DC motors. I hope You can share this with me since You are one of AC motor hero in this forum. :)

To be honest from the reading I am still not convinced about economical AC motor performance combined with low end VFD (just from my assumption), my concern are:
    - Slip of induction AC motor might create a delay or position inaccuracy
    - Response time of the low end vfd might not be fast enough to respond rapid dynamic
    movement.
    - Inertia of the motor might create a delay as well
    - Heat produce by AC motor is quite high that might lead to overheat and limit operation time.

Once again these are just my mind assumption which I hope they are not true (experience sharing are very expected).

Cheers,
    Hodeifa
  5. MrHodeifa

MrHodeifa New Member

Balance:
    266Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
  6. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hodeifa,
    I have not had any of the issues you are concerned with.
    Please remember: In my build, as well as most AC / VFD setups, you MUST use Inverter Duty ac motors to handle the constant forward/reverse changes, that builds heat. These motors are made
    very heavy duty to withstand the heat.

Tom
    • Informative Informative x 3
  7. MrHodeifa

MrHodeifa New Member

Balance:
    266Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    Thank You Tom for the reply, I am also following Your build thread, which is important resource.

May I know how was it now, since last I know the progress was 95% with some software adjustment remaining issue. I'm trying to find any video link for the completed but still not find any (CMIIW).

These informations shall be valuable input for next ac builders.

Cheers
    Hodeifa
  8. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hodeifa,
    The project has been completed for about 14 months now. I had a setback on the UNO + Opt-Iso boards for the electronics, and that's where I stand now.
    The motion sim worked great for several months, and like a dummy, I failed to video it's performance and post.
    I do know one thing , in my case, - with the 1hp inverter duty motors and heavy duty gearheads, this platform will shake your teeth out of your head if you want it to.
    It's very powerful and fast - "For a Platform"........
    I'm looking to get the electronics squared away in a couple of weeks - and I "will" post a vid.

Blessings,
    Tom
    • Like Like x 2
  9. MrHodeifa

MrHodeifa New Member

Balance:
    266Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    Dear Tom,
    Thank you for the update, I hope You can resolve the setback soon, very eager to see your build in action.

Cheers
    Hodeifa
  10. Mmcool

Mmcool Member

Balance:
    1,174Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I think he is opt-in for the one that is in Kickstarter right now?
    https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/kickstarter-announcement.10517/

I have seen before the details for his broken uno+opto boards, and its indeed not easy to repair smt parts soldered on DIY toner transfer pcb... not without damaging traces or contacts.
  11. MrHodeifa

MrHodeifa New Member

Balance:
    266Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    Still long time waiting to buy another one :( or probably Tom is using this DIY version.

https://www.xsimulator.net/communit...c-motor-opto-coupler-shield.9506/#post-130160

Either way I hope he finds the way to resolve it.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017