1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Bought 2 wiper motor, 1 with problem

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Pedro Pablo, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Pedro Pablo

Pedro Pablo Active Member

Software Developer
    Balance:
    599Coins
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Hi

The day has finally come. I've bought wiper motors for my 2DOF sim. Maybe they're not so strong but for test maybe it will work as a charm

I've connected both to the monster moto and i've made all the wiring. The isolation was done by cut a black wire from inside the motor to the metal chasis outside, and everything worked as expected except for one thing. One of the motors doens't turn so fast as the other one, also it makes a srange noise and after a while it heats. Before the test i've opened it and I messed up the brushes, and in the gears i've found a piece of it, it was removed but the problem still present. On a last test i've removed the gear and the motor works ok, so, what i can do? i need some lubrication or i need to grease the gear amd maybe the motor itself?

A video
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  2. ferslash

ferslash Active Member

Balance:
    4,798Coins
    Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -0
    maybe i am wrong, but if you got those motors out of a junk yard, you should go again to the yard and maybe bring your power source (the one you will use, in order to check your motors before you buy them)

i was kind of mad last time i was in a yunk yard, they ask me $x amount of money and then i went into a cart part shop and the price of the new motor was exactly what the yunk yard was asking....

ask in your locar car part shop for the cheapest wiper motor, you may get a surprice.

best regards

fer
  3. Pedro Pablo

Software Developer
    Balance:
    599Coins
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Sadly the junkyard will not accept refunds, also I've asked for 2 exactly equal motors, and those are the only one available.

Yesterday i've made another test, now the 'bad' motor has friction even without the gear. Maybe a lack of grease, maybe something messed up, i dont know. So i'm going to open it again and test it with a multimeter. Any advice to check if the motor can still be usable?
  4. MarcNSF

MarcNSF Marc

Balance:
    - 98Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hello Pedro

Can you send pictures of the motor disassembled

My motors had high and low speed so removed the low speed wire and fixed it to the one I cut that was grounded to the chassis

Regards
    Marc
  5. Pedro Pablo

Software Developer
    Balance:
    599Coins
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Hi @MarcNSF. sorry for the waiting but here are the photos of the motor. I've cut one motor brush and also i've took off the black cable, assuming that one is the ground that I need to isolate
    20170713_010627.jpg 20170713_010659.jpg 20170713_010639.jpg 20170713_010647.jpg 20170713_010530.jpg
  6. MarcNSF

MarcNSF Marc

Balance:
    - 98Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Lift the board and Check under it, you should find a wire from the brush to the chassis you have to cut it

The 2 carbon brushes on opposite direction are the ones that you will use

Keep me posted:thumbs

Regards
    Marc
  7. Pedro Pablo

Software Developer
    Balance:
    599Coins
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I was thinkting that maybe could be a friction problem in regarding to the noise and the heat. Where is the friction? I dont know. What I can do? i dont know. I have a multimeter and i've made a voltage test, this throw me that the motor have some 'resistance'

Also, one of the pictures there's a black wire lying around. Is that the ground? What was screwed on the metal chasis outside the motor.

On the night i'll take off the board and take more pictures
  8. MarcNSF

MarcNSF Marc

Balance:
    - 98Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    If you connect the high and low speed to 12v that will cause the heat and sound of the motor

Only connect the 2 carbon brushes on opposite direction ,this will move the motor at high speed

Marc
  9. Pedro Pablo

Software Developer
    Balance:
    599Coins
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Well, i take of the motor and the board looks like this. So, i have to keep the brushes which are face to face?? Let's say, the red and black one. Well, i've take off the black brush because I've assumed that's the way to isolate the ground. But at least I have some messing around to solder again

20170714_001635.jpg
    20170714_001709.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Pedro Pablo

Software Developer
    Balance:
    599Coins
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Ok, im back. I've resolded the brush, i'm not good at soldering so maybe it will spread out, but for now it's ok. Also i've recorded some videos to show how the motor is working. And i'm using the cables with the brushes on the opposite way like @MarcNSF said. About the heating i cannot test the motor so long because it was 1am and i have to wake up at 7 for work, but the motor was a bit warm, hope that wasn't a bad signal

Soon i'm going to record a video with both motors working

Hope to get some advice if the motor is not working well
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  11. Pedro Pablo

Software Developer
    Balance:
    599Coins
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Sup, it's me again

I've do the following test. I've turn on both motors and comparing with the first video on this thread they are running more slower, they're ok or it's a bad sign?
    The motor on the right is the motor that I was checking out (like resolder the brush, test with a multimeter), as you can see it's off sync and IDK what more I can do. Before buying another motor (and getting some luck to find an exactly equal one) I want to know if there are more test that I can do, like record both gears at the same time and check if like that are getting slower, grease the gear or inside the metal body, get some values of both motors with a multimeter and post the results here

12. Pedro Pablo

Software Developer
    Balance:
    599Coins
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    It's me again. I've do another test, now i've connected the motors directly to the PSU instead of using the Monster Moto

Bad news: The problem still present. The motor from the top still vibrating and it goes more slow than the other one. Only it vibrates when I screw the lever, but also when I put upside with or without the lever. I think that the gearbox is messed up, maybe some grease will fix it up, but i'll try to see another options because like i've said before, i need a lot of luck to find an exactly equal wiper motor. Any advice?

Good news: Following the wiring advice from @MarcNSF the motors now it doesn't heat so soon. I measure the time and about 8 minutes working without heat, and about 10 minutes a bit warm. Kinda curious because the motor below (the good one) heats more soon than the other one (the bad one)

13. Pedro Pablo

Software Developer
    Balance:
    599Coins
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Sup everyone!. Lot of work but i managed to have a little time to do another test

I've reversed the polarity on the bad motor and it works without any vibration, noise or friction, but it runs slowy compared to the motor with the correct polarity. Also i've tested both motors with the reverse polarity and thet I run at the same speed

So the problem is the motor when it goes forward (assuming when is connected in the correct way) and i dont know what could be the problem. I remember trying to pull oof the gear using a screwdriver using force because I didn't know that I have to unscrew a nut to remove the lever and the gear. I insist that could be a lack of grease or something messing up inside but also i'll try to buy another motor and with luck use the three motor for a 3DOF sim, for now i want to repair that motor

Again, any advice?
  14. MarcNSF

MarcNSF Marc

Balance:
    - 98Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi

Ok . First remove the gearbox big gear .
    You will see the worm gear axle that is attached to the rotor we want to check if the bearings are OK and there's no friction between them and the rotor
    By hand check if there's any .
    Now under power check it out in both polarity (left and right) and watch the worm gear axle if there is any forward and backward movement (some wiper motors have a screw on top of the worm gear axle and can be adjusted)
    Because from what you are saying the problem is: the rotor is touching the body when you power it in a direction

Marc
    • Informative Informative x 2
  15. Pedro Pablo

Software Developer
    Balance:
    599Coins
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Ok, before going to bed, i've took some pictures without the gear. I didn't see any bearings, but there's a space where the shaft and the gears goes to. There's a lot of black grease, and i didn't see anything that could provoke the friction. On the worm gear axle there's a screw but it's too tight, i move it a bit counter clockwise without any effect. When the motor is connected on the right polarity I put a bit a pressure on the gear with my thumb and I can hear a friction, so i can say that the problem is there, but i still wondering what could be

EDIT: i forgot to mention, that washer from the gear is not 100% plain

For now im not going to giving up but maybe soon I will consider to buy another motor, so i'll do my best and i hope to get all the help as possible

20170808_010950.jpg 20170808_011021.jpg 20170808_011434.jpg 20170808_011043.jpg 20170808_011035.jpg 20170808_011500.jpg 20170808_011443.jpg
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017