1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

I am new and building a motion base....help!

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by simracer, Feb 18, 2009.

1. simracer

simracer New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all...
    I have been thinking about building a motion base for quite a while. I am now ready. I have a three screen that is stationary. i would like it to move. I have done allot of research on different designs. I think the one i have settled on trying to build is the design using two stepper motors and a pivot in the middle ... my question is ...... on that type of a design can i use x-sim software to run it? Must of the parts for this project i can get for very little cost... Thanks for any information you all can give to me ......
  2. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    I assume that you are referring to a Frex-Style simulator like mine, or the SimForceGT design? These are based upon SCN5 actuators. If you want to move the monitors, you probably should move the entire cockpit (seat , pedals, wheel, monitors, etc...) IMHO, the SCN5's are not adequate to produce realistic motion when moving this much weight. It takes much faster motion to produce the same level of realism when you are moving the monitor as well.
  3. simracer

simracer New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    no the one i saw, had was a platform and a large u-joint in the middle with two stepper motors with levers attached to the base. the base would teeter around the u-joint. looked like the best option for me. I will look for a picture of the one i saw. I have access to the motors and the other parts that i think i need. just trying to figure out the software.... thanks
  4. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    @simracer
    Link!
  5. simracer

simracer New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    something like this but the one I saw before had the motors parallel

Attached Files:

6. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Yes, X-Sim fits your requirements on the software side.

But you'll need an external motor controller as well as motor drivers. Do you have access to such parts also?

Regards
    Christian
  7. R-eng

R-eng Member

Balance:
    28Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You will need to treat this as a joyrider type and not a frex. The motions will produce a 2DOF sim.

R-eng
  8. simracer

simracer New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes i understand .... ego ... I was looking at galil controlers ... just not sure what ones .... but i can get them ...... Thank you
  9. simracer

simracer New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi R-eng ... that is what i was looking for ... can i use x-sim for that ???
  10. R-eng

R-eng Member

Balance:
    28Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    absolutely.
  11. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    I looked at Galil controllers about a year ago and they were very expensive. I think that were in excess of $2000 after the amps were included. Have they come down in price since then?
  12. simracer

simracer New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    about $1500 for what i think i may need... do you have another recomondation??? I am all ears ...LOL .... thanks for the help
  13. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    You will need to give us some details on the motors that you plan to use before anyone here can contemplate controller/driver options with you.
  14. simracer

simracer New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks ... I will be working on that this week.......I will let you know ....