1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

TVS "diode" before and after H-bridge?

Discussion in 'Electronic and hardware generally' started by xytras, Mar 28, 2017.

1. xytras

xytras Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    587Coins
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I wonder if it makes any sense to put a TVS before and after my H-bridges.
    As I burned one of the IMS-1 and want to replace that with an IMS-2C, which just arrived, I want to make sure I am not blasting it to hell again. But I am not sure if a back-EMF or a peak from the PSU (while switching on/off) killed the IMS-1 so I was wondering if it does make any sense to put the TVS like that:

- ----|-------|--------|------|
    PSU [TVS] [H-BRIDGE] [TVS] [MOTOR]
    + ----|-------|--------|------|
  2. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member

Electronics Technician
    Balance:
    8,060Coins
    Ratings:
    +620 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Usually a H-Bridge burns out due to being faulty or being over loaded for too long.
    The Mosfets used in the IMS-2C have internal diodes which would be able to dissipate any power going back through.

Also Back-EMF does no harm to a motor driver as it is only a counter electromotive force that occurs as the motor is spinning.
  3. xytras

Balance:
    587Coins
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hmm I don´t think it was over loaded as it wasn´t even close to be used or warm. It happened when I switched off the PSU in panic because the lever was about to go beyond its limit, on its way to destroy on pot :-/
    Because of that I changed the setup so the motor can turn 360° without causing any physical damage.
    Anyway because of that I assume it was a peak from the switching. Therefore the question if it does make sense to have a TVS between PSU and H-Bridge.
  4. xytras

Balance:
    587Coins
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    sh.. another one burned, even with TVS :( I guess this motor / IMS combination just doesn´t work
  5. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member

Electronics Technician
    Balance:
    8,060Coins
    Ratings:
    +620 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    What is the specification of your motor?
  6. xytras

Balance:
    587Coins
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
  7. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member

Electronics Technician
    Balance:
    8,060Coins
    Ratings:
    +620 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Might I suggest trying the 43A IBT-2 H bridge. Reading the motor characteristics curve and how the motor runs whilst being used in the sim, it is quite possible for the motor to draw over 20A quite easily. I am also expecting the motor to get hot after a short while of use as it has quite a low efficiency rating. It also looks like it is going to be quite slow as the rpm max is around 27.

Still seems strange that turning off the power causes the motor driver to die. Never had anything like that happen to me before.