1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Review Fanatec ClubSport Wheel Base V2 plus BMW M3 GT Steering Wheel

Discussion in 'Commercial Simulators and Peripherie' started by RaceRay, Jul 18, 2016.

1. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,839Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    A few weeks ago i received a huge order from Fanatec:

The Fanatec ClubSport CSW WheelBase V2

fanatec_clubsport_package.jpg

Time has passed and after extensive testing i will show you today my little unboxing review for this amazing SimRacing peripherie hardware:

• Fanatec ClubSport CSW WheelBase V2
    • Fanatec BMW M3 GT Steering Wheel
    • Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ V2

Let's start first with the unpacking of the most important part, the CSW WheelBase.
    The unboxing was a pure pleasure and made me more excited:

say_hello.jpg
    realism.jpg
    say_goodbye.jpg
    no_toys.jpg

The Fanatec Clubsport CSW WheelBase V2

This thing is really a beauty, but not a light one. You get what you pay for and in that case the wheel base brings more than 4kg to the table. My previous wheel was a Logitech G25 and even though i know that these wheels can not be compared directly i was completely astonished about the quality and weight of it when i grabbed it the first time. Most of the construction is CNC milled and made of anodized aluminum which gives a superior look. Only the back cover plate is made of synthetic material which is ma

A strong brushless motor is powering the ball bearing belt drive. Two hall sensor are working inside the wheel base. One placed on the steering shaft and the other one directly on the motor.

fanatec_clubsport_wheelbase_v2.jpg

fanatec_clubsport_wheelbase_v2_top.jpg

The included USB cable is 2m long and from great quality as well, covered with a woven textile to prevent any cable damages. It also integrates two ferrite cores as interference suppression filter. Something i personally have never seen on any other USB cable before.

fanatec_wheel_base_connectors.jpg

I also ordered the wheel table clamp to fix the wheel base on my desk. This part is very heavy and from strong durability. It fixes the heavy wheelbase construction reliable on every desk slab with a maximum thickness of 7cm. It also allows allows you to alter the angle of the wheel base. Mounting the wheel base on the table clamp was a little bit tricky because there is not much space for using a screwdriver between the moveable plate where you mount the wheel base and the fixed base plate which sits on the table. Tricky but not a huge challenge and worth every penny:

fanatec_clubsport_wheelbase_table_clamp.jpg

If you plan to mount the wheel base on a simulator Fanatec is also supplying a drilling template with exact measurements:

fanatec_clubsport_wheelbase_measurements.jpg

Next part of my order is the Fanatec BMW M3 GT Steering Wheel

I decided for this rim because i drive most often regular street and GT cars and only rarely formula 1 cars.
    I also love the look and feel which is inspired from steering wheels of original BMW M3 GT cars.

fanatec_bmw_m3_gt_rim_front.jpg

fanatec_bmw_m3_gt_rim.jpg fanatec_bmw_m3_gt_rim_detail.jpg

Here you can see the CNC milled Quick Release which holds the Steering Wheel absolutely secure. Nothing is wobbling. There is a secure screw supplied which can be used to tighten the quick release more on the wheel base but it's not not necessary for the wheel i received and i connect my wheel without the screw on to the clubsport wheel base.

fanatec_bmw_m3_gt_rim_rear.jpg

fanatec_bmw_m3_gt_rim_quick_release_2.jpg

A look onto the Quick Release mechanism. There is much hand force needed to push the red ring down.

fanatec_bmw_m3_gt_rim_quick_release.jpg

The Alcantara soft leather feels warm and smooth and gives excellent grip:

fanatec_bmw_m3_gt_rim_side.jpg

The Shifting paddles are very thick and from great durability. At least 1mm thicker than the paddles from of old G25 wheel. The paddles are thick enough to prevent them from bending on very excessive shifting actions.

fanatec_clubsport_bmw_m3_gt_rim_paddles.jpg

So now we come to the Fanatec Clubsport Shifter SQ V. 1.5

This is another excellent piece of craftsmanship and is made completely of grey eloxed metal. The shifter is very heavy, roughly estimated 2kg (with mounted shifter table clamp).
    With flip of a switch it allows you to switch between sequential and H pattern mode.

Another great thing is that the shifter is using a standard mount which allows you to select real automotive knobs. This is a nice to have but the shifter comes with a second knob already:

Fanatec_ClubSport_Shifter_SQ_V_1_5_EU_package.jpg

Engaging a gear feels like in a real car and shifting from one gear to another needs a good amount of hand force. Engage a gear and the stick holds it position accurate without wobbling or shaking.

That is the first part of my review of the Fanatec ClubSport Wheel Base V2 and the BMW M3 GT Steering Wheel.

In the next part i am going to write more about how the hardware is performing on a "real" racing sim track.
    • Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  2. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,839Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    reserved
  3. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,212Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    Very nice buddy!
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Nice start to the review. :)

Tip for you, Always ensure to run the QR bolt to prevent the QR from slopping out over time and Fresh grease is never a bad thing after you can see it getting a little dirty and discolored.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. GTHQ_koop

GTHQ_koop Active Member

Something with airplanes..
    Balance:
    1,786Coins
    Ratings:
    +65 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    What Nick says, always use the screw even though it may feel good without ;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,839Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks for the tips guys. At the moment i only use the BMW rim and do not use the QuickRelease. But i will probably follow your advice when i use another wheel and start changing these things periodically;)
  7. GTHQ_koop

GTHQ_koop Active Member

Something with airplanes..
    Balance:
    1,786Coins
    Ratings:
    +65 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    I only use a universal hub (with a Sparco Veloce v2), sold all other wheels (BMW & F1) but still...Keep the screw in, once the play is there, it won't go away ;)
  8. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:

I HIGHLY suggest it from the Very start, The SLIGHTEST bit of wear on the QR makes the wearing process go a Whole lot faster. Its not a matter of swapping wheels often, but the fact that the wheel has a Slight amount of "play" that is amplified with the larger BMW wheel....If your not swapping wheels and leaving the wheel mounted 99% of the time. Just pop that screw in there and give it a snug.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. martin falz

martin falz Member

Balance:
    228Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Hi. I use the same parts. But driving is easier with the F1 wheel. Better feeling.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:

Well u sure cant drive a 1991 Lemans Winning Mazda 787 with a F1 wheel and H pattern :p, and if you do. that should be a Crime against the Sim racing gods. :grin

In all out honesty, ya the F1 will be easier on the arms. but doesn't exactly offer the same feeling as a big round wheel when driving the appropriate car.
    • Agree Agree x 2