1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Combining SCN6 actuators of different strength

Discussion in 'Commercial Simulators and Peripherie' started by Wildan, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Wildan

Wildan New Member

Balance:
    262Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting the Prosimu T1000 motion rig, starting with the 3dof version and if I like how it works out, eventually upgrade to 5dof.

According to Prosimu the 2dof and 3dof versions use SCN6 40kgf actuators for vertical movement, and the 4dof and 5dof use SCN6 100kgf actuators for verticals.
    Now here is the weird part. Assuming you have a 2dof or 3dof T1000 already, if you purchase the upgrade to 4dof or 5dof through Prosimu website, you're forced to buy all 4(!) vertical actuators, cables etc. even if you have 2 already. So obviously this is not an actual upgrade.

Besides financial gain for Prosimu is there any technical reason why they want all their 4dof/5dof custommers to have identical actuators at the front and at the back?
    I'm no expert but the way I understand how SCN6 actuators work is that their speed-thrust curve drops off very quickly with added weight. Having strong 100kgf actuators at the rear is mandatory but at the front?
    Look at some 4dof and 5dof pictures on their website and look how the weight is distrubuted between the actuators (this forum won't let me post pictures or links).
    You can clearly see how the rear actuators have to handle at least 75% of total weight, maybe even more. The center of drivers bodyweight is pretty much at the rear actuator axis. I bet that even with 100kfg at the back and 40kgf and the front, the rear ones are still slower.

From the electronic standpoint I think there are no issues. Afterall, both 3dof and 5dof versions use 20kgf actuator for traction loss.

Prosimu seems quite flexible with custom orders so I could buy 100kgs instead of 40kgs actuators when purchasing the 3dof T1000 but the price difference is about 800€ total. Money I'd rather invest in VR and maybe a seat harness.

What do you think, is it safe to mix those different SCN6 for 5dof?
  2. crammy

crammy Active Member Gold Contributor

Fabrication
    Balance:
    4,633Coins
    Ratings:
    +326 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    it wouldn't make no difference mixing them as they are controlled independently. i have 4 frex hyperaxis 100s on each corner and an scn6 40-150 for traction loss. the speeds may be different but but that wouldn't matter front to back.