1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

3 DOF With MY1016 ARDUINO UNO AND PARALLEL IBT's

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Remishka, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Remishka

Remishka Member

Musician, Woodturner
    Balance:
    39Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hello,

As I've promised here is the thread about my build, it all started with the idea of blending motion sims and woodturning/working, this build is made to be a 3dof, but for now it's tested with 2dof. It is made with cheap solutions and stuff so it does not look very appealing, I ain't care about the prettyness as it shakes me all around !

The things used here are :

Wood : ( Robinier accacia ), Pin
    Motor : MY1016 250W 15.7A
    PSU : T1000-24
    Arduino Uno
    Parallel IBT's
    Screws and steel screw angles
    SMC3 Utils

This is my first attempt at making a post presenting one of my projects, so I guess I'll have to edit it much times for it to be readable.

This isn't final assembly and there is things to do again, like making the wooden wheels alot more thicker for stability... And of course remove those joint-bolts and fix the things, also my ball bearing aren't very aligned so it could be better, and chain lenght is not ideal, I should have added one more link

The electronics are pretty messy and not soldered for now ( except those soldered wires on the arduino that I don't use anymore, got to remove them )...

The PSU is a bit weak, I feel a better one would make it even better.

But I plugged the thing on, setup axes config in Game engine, did a rallycross on LFS and it's so much fun and good... Even at this stage of the assembly... !!!

EDIT 3 :
    While trying a funny rally stage I broke a wooden Wheel because as I said previously it was turned on endgrain, should have gone the other way, plus it wasn't thick enought, as I'm planning to play mainly with rally games I got some new stuff : UCP204 ball bearings to make my chain reductors and Ball-joints for the seat arms. Adding some steel to the thing, not that wood was a bad idea or couldn't work, it just would need to be thick enough, maybe i'll do another one with more wood, doing better wheels and bearing alignement, or i'll modify this one again, we will see...

Anyway SimTools & SMC3 Works so good, those are some amazing piece of software !!!

EDIT 4 :
    I did put things together, it still works well, there is a bit of twist, but it's fun and reactive ! Hope this will shake me on much rally races, I will add the 3rd Dof soon, i need to sort some things first.. Then I'll do some videos ! Here are some new pics !

EDIT 5 :
    Today I did longer shaky F1 session and the sim did shut down, because the ibt's got too hot ( too much to touch and started smelling ), hopefully they do not appear to be damaged, I waited untill they cooled then plugged again, still working fine, so i am going to work the on cooling before assembling the rest for the 3rd dof

Thanks to OZHEAT for providing the wiring image ( that I joined here ) and for his wise advices. I tried the config A and the B one, the B one is the one I use as he higly recomend this one over the A wiring.

Thanks to EricRacer for telling me that he used Parallel Ibt's and it could work fine.

Thanks to Pit for welcoming me this nicely and for encouragement.

Thanks to Blame73 for his encouragement.

Thanks to TadyTheFish for caring about my troubles with IBT's and even would have helped to build a H-bridge.

Thanks to everyone that worked or gave feedback on SMC3 and SimTool.

Thanks to everyone else for beign informative, sharing and participative, I am higly impressed by how this community is nice. If I can be of any help just write me and I'll do my best.

To come next edit : Even more pictures as I progress thru assembly of the cooling system and 3 dof then videos !

Attached Files:

• Creative Creative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  2. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,399Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Looks very original great work hopefully it will hold out when you get it moving, can't beat a bit of wood :) I love the stuff
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. mariano68

mariano68 Active Member

builder contractor
    Balance:
    3,338Coins
    Ratings:
    +395 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, 4DOF
    I didn't know that you can paralel IBTs, also, remove de heatsink and put some thermal paste as they come without it.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Remishka

Remishka Member

Musician, Woodturner
    Balance:
    39Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hey,

SilentChill : Thanks alot, for the originality it is fun you say that because before I started making the thing I did check alot of different sims systems on YouTube and when I saw one of your videos ( 3dof + RBR rally ) I liked it so much that I wanted mine to be this way. So i return the compliment ;-) .
    For now it is twice less powerfull and reactive because my PSU can't handle more, and things have to be fixed properly ( didn't finish screwing angle-joints, and tightening things.. ).

Mariano68 : Hi, thanks for this fine advice. I should have been more precise on the project description because I did add some thermal paste between the sinks and board.
    Yes you can wire them the way OZHEAT shows on the pic attached, tested both configs A&B they work fine, when I use them they stay coldish after 30 minutes of working : ( Pwmax 70 - Kp 500 on the great smc3Utils as PSU can't handle more ) .

OZHEAT warned me about Something on paralleling IBT-2's, that hopefully didn't happened to me :
    be aware that if a leg shutdowns before its paralleled twin switches on it could cause a short to the motor outputs, hence why you still don't want to exceed the ratings.

If you want to read the story of it here is the link to the thread : www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/monster-moto-shield-acts-as-a-single-motor-driver-more-power.5482/page-7
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. MarkusB

MarkusB Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    4,212Coins
    Ratings:
    +594 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    @Remishka, this is really a creative build. I have never seen a universal joint that is purely made of wood. Hope it has the needed stability and does not move away from its center when it is in use.
    I also built my rig mainly out of wood, and I love the flexibility to change things at any time by just removing some screws.
  6. Remishka

Remishka Member

Musician, Woodturner
    Balance:
    39Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hello MarcusB,

Thanks for the comment.
    I've never seen one either, the wooden sphere is laying on a wheel chamber and it is "floating" ( it's just a thin layer ) in oïl to ensure correct movement fluidity, I tried with vaseline but was to thick, now it's lemon oïl...
    The frame and is very sturdy and does not move, however I did use tape ( for now ) to fix the pots on those steel-angles and it's not correct, as they move a bit sometimes making the pot/wheel un-align ( not that much but still).. Also the bars I use from the chain wheels to the sit are too flexible, i need to double them or get Something stronger, then it should be better !.

Yes wood is so practical that I did not have to do that much plans, and it is easy to modify Something.

I will check your build for sure :)