1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Crammy's project No2

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by crammy, May 20, 2016.

1. shannonb1

shannonb1 Well-Known Member

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor, Arduino, JRK, 4DOF
    Are those SCN6 actuators?
  2. crammy

crammy Active Member Gold Contributor

Fabrication
    Balance:
    4,633Coins
    Ratings:
    +326 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    They are frex hyperaxis 100. I think they are scn6 based though. They can lift 100kg. They are also 48v instead of 24v
  3. stevemontuno

stevemontuno Active Member

Balance:
    1,721Coins
    Ratings:
    +335 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
  4. shannonb1

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    those are max lift of 220lbs..how much does the top part of your rig way that this thing will be heaving? Are they really like 800$ a piece? and at 100mm stroke
  5. crammy

Fabrication
    Balance:
    4,633Coins
    Ratings:
    +326 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    ill do one at the weekend if my mrs is here to hold the phone. Ive not had a go yet as i spun the OSW round so that the cables are the other side so now i have to change the eprom. Also i might put some rubber inside those nylon cups as its quite slidy on them.
    Just by putting the cups in and shaking it i have a rattle of the top plate which is going to be annoying. i'm just going to buy so draught excluder strip type stuff and stick it to the frame and then bolt the plate down again. its just where the plate and the frame are knocking together slightly. the side panels are fine as i put silicon on before riviting
  6. crammy

Fabrication
    Balance:
    4,633Coins
    Ratings:
    +326 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    the top part weighs about 50-60 KG and then another 80KG for me since i've been dieting lol.
    They are that price mate, and only move 100mm but in all honesty i probably use about 60-70mm max.

I got them for my first motion sim as it was easy. when i finish the house i would still like to build a seat mover with motors
    • Like Like x 1
  7. crammy

Fabrication
    Balance:
    4,633Coins
    Ratings:
    +326 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    well it works and i had a quick go last night. I will be taking the top off next weekend and modifying it. I would do it tomorrow but as my pedals are coming monday i may as well fit them first to check if i have to modify the mount and do it all in one go.
    I have to add a brace at the front as i never put any thing in but you can push the wheel forward and flex the top frame between the front 2 actuator seats so will sort that too. i didn't think i would need it as the frame is solid. It just needs 2 bits of 100mm long box section welding in to tie the cross members together and that will stop it. these were in my original drawing.

I also have a horrid sharp high pitched squeak every so often coming from one of the actuators. I have had this from day one and thought it was the actuator wheel nut rubbing on the tube as that is exactly what it sound like, but now i have nylon cups, they dont come into contact with metal so that rules that theory out completely. I may have to strip the actuator for inspection but there are no marks on the shaft so it may be internal.
  8. shannonb1

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Do the actuators have their own software? I know that having the wrong PWM frequency can cause a high pitch squealing.

Is there a certain position it does it in and does it do it if you arent on it? Does it do it if its not connected at all? Could we over stressing it. LIke I said those actuators are only rated for like 200lbs and you are using them to lift vertically. You may need some shocks to add return support.
  9. crammy

Fabrication
    Balance:
    4,633Coins
    Ratings:
    +326 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    I have got software for them so may try that out over the weekend mate. What do you mean by pwm frequency and would that be something i can adjust?

I had noticed it when changing gear but at no other point. i was trying to find what was causing it last night so was flying into kerbs and got nothing.

the actuators are more than capable of lifting that weight. between 4 and evenly distriputed they should be able to lift 400kg although probably not at full speed. one of them can lift me if i stand on it without the top on.

It does sometimes does make the noise at calibration stage so i think a strip down would be best also.

I hadnt thought about shock, but i suppose the load is increased a fair bit from changing direction
  10. f1iceman

f1iceman Why So Serious ? ( The Joker )

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    that is awesome dude really is but can i say one upgrade you could do that would make even more awesome.
    make a large draw and fit the pc inside it run all cooling thru as a chmber and it will be left with just the rig. its how im going to build mine, then with the button boxes fit some buttons to the box to turn on and off. depending on the board you have if its asus you could even fit the dash oc screen by you button boxses to monitor the comp.
    its all neatly tooked away then. but it really is brilliant build very nice looking and compact which is what matters.
    i would build the g seat for it now simtools 2 can run 12.
    its just an idea for the next upgrade tho or to add to this one ! lol
  11. crammy

Fabrication
    Balance:
    4,633Coins
    Ratings:
    +326 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    that may be something for the future but for now i've got to get back on with the house. I had a good go yesterday and that squeak seems to disappear when it has warmed out. i will strip it down at some point
  12. bruce stephen

bruce stephen Hammer doesnt fix it, must be electrical

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,238 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Louder headphones and or amp...redneck repair:p
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. crammy

Fabrication
    Balance:
    4,633Coins
    Ratings:
    +326 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    LOL. I did have the speakers quite loud for effect. The only irritating thing was the rattle of the top plate with the bass so i removed it and put draft excluder strip round the edges and middle and refitted it and it has gone.
  14. crammy

Fabrication
    Balance:
    4,633Coins
    Ratings:
    +326 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    My HE pedals and handbrake have just arrived at work and i'm stuck here until half 4. The time cant come quick enough to get home. shall post a couple of pics tonight
    • Like Like x 1
  15. crammy

Fabrication
    Balance:
    4,633Coins
    Ratings:
    +326 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    quick couple of pics. got to say they are really good quality. ive got them mounted but will hopefully set up tomorrow

20170213_174648 resize.jpg 20170213_184311 resize.jpg 20170213_184533 resize.jpg
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  16. stevemontuno

stevemontuno Active Member

Balance:
    1,721Coins
    Ratings:
    +335 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Very nice bit of kit that is mate ,,,:thumbs
  17. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    ya gotta love shiney new bits :)
    awesome dude
  18. obobo

obobo Active Member

Balance:
    1,323Coins
    Ratings:
    +77 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    very nice set of pedals

the handbrake look cool too
  19. crammy

Fabrication
    Balance:
    4,633Coins
    Ratings:
    +326 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    well what can i say other than WOW. I had my first go last night after calibrating the pedals and they are awesome. especially coming from the thrustmaster ones. I first thought the brake was going to be too hard, but once set up they feel really good. i've got to strip it down tomorrow night though so i can get into work first thing saturday and alter the seat height and then i shall spend the rest of the day tweaking settings. it will finally be set up so i can just switch it on and play. I might make the bolt on handbrake mount too if i get a chance. I've also got the 30mm box section arriving today to make new monitor mount posts so i can bring them in closer.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    Had ago on a few sims now n the one thing that stands out for me was the pedals n how you feel in control of braking in game with them it really adds to the whole experience to make that extra step towards real simulation.
    One of the best things you can do tho is add a small transducer for abs or lock ups judder. Its mega.
    I know you will do it soon as the vibe is out
    You habe defo gpt the bug now dude