1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Ferrari_man SimforceGT with SCN5 100mm

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Ferrari_Man, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Ferrari_Man

Ferrari_Man Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 5Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN5, SimforceGT
    Hello.

Iam now trying my simulator for the first time with SCN5s.

Iam using x-sim2 and with the profiles from bvillersjr for Race07.

But in these videos it is GTR2 istead of Race07, but looks okay.

Motion test:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGB8l-b6tPo

UPDATE: The latest video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7qd23Z6Hic

Ferrari_man
  2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Great!

I assume that the motion is smoother if the driver weight is applied to the seat :)

Regards
    Christian
  3. Ferrari_Man

Balance:
    - 5Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN5, SimforceGT
    Hey

Yes the whole chair is all most jumping without the weight of the driver.

Ferrari_man
  4. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Well, hopefully you'ill find a testdriver for an additional video then ;D

Regards
    Christian
  5. Ferrari_Man

Balance:
    - 5Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN5, SimforceGT
    Hey

I got my simulator placed better now and found the some some bolts that I forgot to tighten ;)

So here is a video with me driving me first ride in it.

Still bvillersjr' profile but now in Race07.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AwEtZU4GMI

Ferrari_man
  6. Ferrari_Man

Balance:
    - 5Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN5, SimforceGT
    Hey again.

I would like some input on where you guys think I need and can improve my simulator. I don't really know where to start.

If you take my SCN5 plugin settings:

USB to rs485: ( I guessing this default )
    switching time: 3 ms
    receive delay: 3 ms
    switching timeout: 70 ms
    ( Where do I see my outputs you guys keep compairing. Is it on the main profiler page?
    USO engine outputs and synaptrix outputs)

current speed: 50%
    current acceleration: 50%
    current position: 50%

The rest of the setting are from bvillersjr profile for Race07

Ferrari_man
  7. Ringorumble

Ringorumble Active Member

Balance:
    190Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    For me it is much to fast, like the most of all the profiles and videos. Too much bumping around and shaking and all.

I use
    Actuator Speed 3000 (~16%)
    Actuator Accel 53 (~5%)

switching time: 1 ms
    receive delay: 1 ms
    switching timeout: 50 ms

Polling 1 ms

You can see the output if you leave the SCN5 Plugin open.
  8. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Thats is correct. Lower your settings as shown above. Also reduce the artificial breaks in the Profiler application settings to matcvh the number that you set in the sender settings. I personally think that 1ms is unnecessary because I dont think that the game updates that often, so you would just be wasting processor resources and increasing the likelihood of poor game performance.

I would suggest what Ringo stated above, except use 2-3ms in the sender setting and sett your artificial breaks the same. Also, if you find that you loose connection to your actuators using the above settings, try 1ms, 1ms, 60ms instead.
  9. Ferrari_Man

Balance:
    - 5Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN5, SimforceGT
    Hey and thanks for your inputs.. they are really helping me understand how it works.

I have tried the settings Ringorumble posted.
    Here are some picture of the setting just to be sure.
    setting3.jpg
    setting2.jpg
    setting1.jpg

And here is at video of it: I think it is a little to slow. But look at the video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewaJyjCwIUY

I am only getting around 60 outputs is that enough.

Ferrari_man
  10. Ringorumble

Balance:
    190Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    Try to uncheck the 4 DTS etc boxes and see if you get more.
    I dont think that it s to slow, you have to drive some time in a row, then you know if its ok. Try 60 minutes race with that settings and the others, would be interesting which one makes you wanna puke :)
  11. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I think it is not possible to use the 150mm profiles for 100mm SCN5. As the action range is defined by percentage, the 100mm ones dont move enough with the 150mm profile.

As well the movements in the second vid look somehow a little strange...
  12. Ringorumble

Balance:
    190Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    Isnt it because of the range in percentage that you can use it with 100,150,200 mm actuators. If it would be defined in mm then it would be not possible.
  13. Ferrari_Man

Balance:
    - 5Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN5, SimforceGT
    Hey

@Ringorumble - I see your point and I also would prefer the low setting when playing in an hour.
    But it almost felt like it it was unable to move me and things like gear shifting where gone..

But I am very graceful for your input and it helps finding my settings.... and I have only tried these few laps so far, I havn't even finished a race yet with one setting.. So much to learn.

As egoexpress writes, it did feel a little wired. But I don't understand how these scale and math work, yet... need to read some more on it...

Ferrari_man
  14. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

This movement could not possibly have been produced by my profile under any circumstance. The movements are significantly delayed and poorly represent almost every category that I evaluate a profile on. You can find my evaluation criteria here: http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/criteria-for-evaluating-a-profile-s-realism-t1279.html.

All of these things are of course a matter of personal preference when it comes to fine tuning, but there are some basic elements that should exist regardless. For example, your video shows some cases where you have been out of the corner for some time, yet your actuators were still in the process of moving you back toward center. Also, there are scenarios where you were finished braking, yet the actuators were still going forward. The amount of time it took once you accelerated for the actuators to retract was unrealistically slow. I won't continue on with the list, I think from your above post that you can feel what I am talking about.

To give you some idea of what it is like in a real F1 car, the g-forces under braking are so severe, that you have to time your braking with your breathing because the force of the seat belts on your chest forces the air out of your lungs! I realize that in a simulator, that we are not trying to create that level of realism, but an F1 car shouldnt feel like a Sunday drive with grandma either ;D

Now you know why they have driver swaps at endurance races. It is a true test of both man and machine (Physically and mentally). I wish that I had a set of 100mm actuators so that I could be more helpful.

The only helpful advice that I can offer since I do not have 100mm actuators is:

-Get your updates per second to at least 150 before making any further profile evaluations. It will make a difference. RingoRumble was right. Try switching with all 4 checkboxes unchecked and see what you get then.

-Then Go back to my original Race 07 profile and up the percent limiters on the left and right math to 99%

-If the movement is too harsh, go into the output section and reduce the left & right actuator acceleration values in small increments until you achieve your desired effect.

Best of luck, and sorry I dont have more helpful input for 100mm users.
  15. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

I just re-read this post to try to understand what happened to your settings. I apologize, I should have been more clear. I recommend the timing settings that ringo posted above. He and I have always had different opinions of what feels realistic, and I do not recommend the speed and acceleration settings that he posted. Sorry for the confusion.
  16. Ringorumble

Balance:
    190Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    Could also be something easy, maybe maybe your screen shows the input page or something, it has to show the my simulator page, this is the only page which doesnt eat your resources ! Seems mor like that.
    Bernard, reality is not about getting beaten in your sim pod ;)
    As you wrote in another thread, you have not driven that much in the last weeks, more short testing etc. try to test your settings for longer than 10 minutes.
  17. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    I ran several Race 07 races with the setup. 15mins for qualifying 15minutes for practice, 30mins for Race 1 & 30mins for Race 2. Not a problem on this end. To each their own I suppose but I don't understand why you would bother buying an SCN5 with it's high speed to only use 10% of that speed. Proper simulation of G-Forces (which is the goal) cannot be achieved at 40mm /sec. unless you are simulating a golf cart ;D
  18. Ringorumble

Balance:
    190Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    Yeeeahh, i like my golf cart ;)

I dont think that this problem is caused by the speed, since its reaction is complete out of sync. Check if you start with the my simulator screen showing, not any else.
    BTW, you are complete right bernard, i dont want the g´s, i want a supported drivi feeling what the car is doing, so we have complete different goals.
  19. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    The actuator speed is definately an individual matter of taste. But the accelleration NOT! The accelleration of the actuator is dependant on Profiler outputs and driver weight, nothing more. If the perfect value is found once, the accelleration in the SCN5 plugin is never changed again.
    If you have found the perfect accelleration value and you may find the movements too hefty, then you have to adjust it in the effect math by increasing or decreasing the max value in the math effect editor.
    The perfect accelleration value is found, when your actuators move with dynamic speeds without judder and lag.

To set the accelleration in the SCN5 plugin right, use following procedure:

If the actuators judder when moving slowly, then the accelleration has to be decreased.
    If the actuators produce lag, the accelleration has to be increased.

Ferrari_man
    I think an accelleration of ~50 may be too slow. Leave the speed as it is, and just try to incresase the accellertion to a point, where the lag disappears.

Regards
    Christian
  20. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Well, there you have it, 3 different opinions on the same matter. I do not agree with what egoexpress has to say either.

The acceleration required will vary by game because of the number outputs a game makes may vary. Also, the scale varies. For example, a high value in a SimBin game is 40000 and in rFactor it's 3000. I am not exactly sure why, but somehow the difference between games dictates the need for different acceleration values in order to achieve smoothness.

I think will refrain for further comments on this matter because it is too much a matter of personal opinion.

Best of luck in achieving your idea of realism.