1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Cyril's 2dof motion w/ linear actuator

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by cyril69850, Nov 11, 2016.

1. My.stAr

My.stAr Active Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    1,064Coins
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    If you want to go fast, take the ballscrews with 10 mm pitch and the stronger motor with less rpm;) in the end this should be faster. And if the motors are to weak, you can reset the joint point and use some struts:D

I'm up to doing something similar. linear actuators with 24v dc motors. also found the same motors you have:) I have already ballscrews with 5 and 10mm pitch. the outer geometry is the same, so i'll be able to switch from one to another for testing purposes.
    BUT i'll take some weeks, until i have everything together. atm i'm still considering which parts i should buy. Have just a small budget:rolleyes:
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  2. My.stAr

My.stAr Active Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    1,064Coins
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
  3. cyril69850

cyril69850 New Member

Balance:
    293Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Thank you for your help @My.stAr. I don't think the power will be a problem, I'm more worried about the speed so the sfu2010 might be a solution. It's twice the price tho :-(
  4. RandomCoder

RandomCoder Active Member Gold Contributor

Control Engineer
    Balance:
    1,674Coins
    Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    @My.stAr and @cyril69850 its been a while since your last post, sorry for reviving it but just wondered if you've made any progress?
    I'm just starting out on my journey to create a motion simulator and I'm currently scouring for components. I too have come across the e-scooter motors that are readily available on EBay and have a similar idea to create a small ballscrew actuator for us on a seat mover. The reason for choosing a DIY linear actuator instead of the standard Motion Dynamics worm gear motor is because I want to use the experience to enable me to move onto a 6DOF possibly in the future (if I can find enough space in my home). I also believe that I could make a linear actuator for a similar amount of money as the Motion Dynamics motors once you factor in the cost of shipping to the UK. I might be wrong on this but being an engineer I prefer to have a go at making my own actuator.
  5. My.stAr

My.stAr Active Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    1,064Coins
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    @RandomCoder
    Hey, sorry for the late answer.
    I wasn't online that often this year. Had a lot to do. But now i have a little bit more time.
    So I made just a little progress. I have some motoros, but no Controllers yet. Next week i'll get my seat and can start Building the rig. But it will take some months, until something will be ready :)
    • Friendly Friendly x 1