1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

That sinking feeling..

Discussion in 'VR Headsets and Sim Gaming - Virtual Reality' started by SeatTime, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Mounted my Rift camera much higher today and found that when the platform pitches upward it puts my head through the windshield of my Waco! Still some strange positional things happening. Going to experiment with different camera heights and will report back.
  2. Blame73

Blame73 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,255Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,105 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Mine is placed 20cm above my head and 40cm to the right side and never had tracking problems
  3. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Interesting. I lowered my camera about ten inches lower (a few inches above belly button level) and the platform pitching now has significantly less impact on my forward/back positional tracking. Pitching up still does move me maybe two inches forward, and pitching down maybe two inches back. It's pretty minor.

I also notice that during big heave of the platform my positional tracking heaves up and down in the cockpit some even if I do my best to hold dead still.
  4. tougemonster

tougemonster Member

Systems Integrator
    Balance:
    422Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I may be wrong, but I think the closer the tracking camera is to the roll centre of each axis, the less issues you'll have.
  5. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Now there is some potentially useful info! I was coming in to report that after a long session of tuning BFFSim in P3D for better motion and a slight relocation of my Rift camera mount I've got MUCH bigger problems again with positional tracking. I'll have to see if I can cap some video for you guys before I change it to demonstrate. When I roll hard my camera moves over to the side to the point of being partially outside the cockpit, when I pitch hard the camera moves forward and back, and when the sim heaves my camera moves up and down noticeably.

Tonight I was actually resetting the camera position several times per minute when maneuvering fairly hard to test motion.

Interesting note: I did lower the height of my pitch/roll center by 200 millimeters software side in BFF today so this could definitely be a major factor!

I was also wondering if moving the camera closer to my face would make it better, and now that you mention it my camera (which is just forward of my rudder pedals currently) is very far forward of the pitch center of rotation.

I will probably experiment tomorrow with moving the camera various different ways. If you are on the money about pitch/roll rotation center I should be able to significantly improve things. I can do a software side adjustment first for more data as well.

Changing the pitch/roll rotation center height for a 6DOF rig is not possible in SimTools AFAIK, I'm VERY anxiously awaiting SimTools 2!
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. hazardic

hazardic m3gt2 fan

Balance:
    345Coins
    Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    well as some guy suggested on my country native forum the issue with sinking or flying through roof can be solved totally easy. just... cover up the sensor! you still can turn head but the motion part (e.g. movement forward or backward became disabled).
    So now using the motion rig in Assetto Corsa i'm totally bounded to my virtual race body and neck:D no need of super-duper gyro for me lol
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. tougemonster

tougemonster Member

Systems Integrator
    Balance:
    422Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I've tried not using the sensor too. The problem is you frequently need to recentre the head position, as it drifts over time, especially with motion.
  8. hazardic

hazardic m3gt2 fan

Balance:
    345Coins
    Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    you mean in the oculus home or in the game itself? in the oculus home i need hmd only to run virtual desktop and in the game a have a key combination to center a view
  9. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I thought about losing the sensor too, but would hate to lose positional tracking and still have to recenter for yaw =(. I might try it anyway, it's certainly easy enough to do!

I tried moving my Rift camera about two feet closer to my head, tried tilting the camera level instead of angled upward, and tried moving my rotation height in BFF software up and down with no noticeable change. The only thing I didn't do yet is try mounting the camera higher and lower. That is next as far as tackling this problem but other unrelated priorities mean I probably won't mess with it this week.

PS- I also had the positional tracking "jump" my head by a good couple of feet to a wildly different position a couple times, the one I remember my head was suddenly about two feet higher and a foot to the right!
  10. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF