1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

RC Planes

Discussion in 'Off Topic - All other stuff here' started by Nathan Older, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Nathan Older

Nathan Older Member

Balance:
    211Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Just another hobby of mine, RC flying (mainly planes)

Anyone else in to this ? I have just bought myself some FatShark goggles for some FPV flying but the weather here (UK) is gusty and damp:(
  2. Intruder

Intruder Member

Balance:
    435Coins
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Here! FPV Pilot since 2009 - exciting times back there ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Nathan Older

Nathan Older Member

Balance:
    211Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Wow, you must have some serious experience! Do you use Fat Shark goggles by any chance ?
  4. Intruder

Intruder Member

Balance:
    435Coins
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    IMG_2682.JPG IMG_2683.JPG A few years ago I was using a vuzix video google, after i broke them I used a 8" tft and now the quanum V2 from hobbyking- it has a bigger FOV than the fatshark and cost way less , but it's a big piece of hardware.
    Here in Germany we have some problems with gids flying their cheap eBay quadcopter near airports - now All quad and fpv Pilots are bad guys and the government think about regulate the whole rc modeling ... no good times

Back then I was flying FPV with a 1,80m flying wing - was exciting. Now I only fly this little tricopter- also big fun. ;)
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Nathan Older

Nathan Older Member

Balance:
    211Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Oh that sucks, Im sure the UK wont be far behind, as we also have idiots flying their quads around airports!

I have build myself a couple of planes over the years, and my latest one which is untested, is a 190cm wingspan Heinkel He-111.

I will upload some pics.

2012-07-30 08.08.38.jpg
  6. Nathan Older

Nathan Older Member

Balance:
    211Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Here's a few. Still needs a little tidying up, and needs a camera mounted for some FPV

2012-06-17 22.06.52.jpg 2012-07-12 19.49.29.jpg 2012-06-23 10.43.14.jpg 20141106_182752.jpg 20141111_191251.jpg 20130429_183836.jpg 20141111_190209.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Nathan Older

Nathan Older Member

Balance:
    211Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Quite a size against my 3ft Cap Stunt plane

20141110_210215.jpg
  8. Intruder

Intruder Member

Balance:
    435Coins
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Nice work! Beautiful plane! Love the sound of the two motors- even e-motors!
    I have built an Me-410 in 1:12 - lots of power but not flyable at the moment
  9. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Nice HE-111, great subject for modeling.

My interests are a little older, mostly WWI but some Golden Age aircraft as well.

I scratch built this 1/3rd scale Sopwith Triplane a while ago.

• Like Like x 3
  10. stevemontuno

stevemontuno Active Member

Balance:
    1,721Coins
    Ratings:
    +335 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I've got a TBS Discovery ,,,,not flown it in a while though.
  11. f1iceman

f1iceman Why So Serious ? ( The Joker )

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    i was mainly model rc car racing but have got a few planes but never ever started to fly them ;-(
    i'm going to try next year. (as i say every year) lol
    been to a few shows which are brilliant.

some very impressive models from you lot big thumbs up.
  12. Wormy

Wormy New Member

Balance:
    326Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I have a couple 250 quads, using quanum v2 goggles and fly a bix 3 and a VAS spark. Although finding time for all my hobbies is hard. I really should cull some but it's so hard lol
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Nathan Older

Nathan Older Member

Balance:
    211Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Yeah , just not enough hours in the day!
  14. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Too true, I have done nothing with my R/C hobby since building our new house....even though I do have a massive mancave and an entire corner reserved for R/C. Just too many other things taking up my time right now, like bicycling. Hmm....and R/C bicycle motion simulator....hmm.... :D
  15. Nathan Older

Nathan Older Member

Balance:
    211Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Yeah go for it :grin

I have been trying to split my time between RC Cars, Planes, Drones. Playing a lot of Golf, Playing on My Sim (and improving it) , Rebuilding my Aprilia RS125(and riding it), Keeping the Wife happy, Going to work 5 days a week and building a new shed. Oh and not forgetting a new addition to the family 8 months ago! Im in need of some 48 hour days, and maybe 10 days in a week o_O
  16. Javo5

Javo5 Active Member

Balance:
    293Coins
    Ratings:
    +52 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I'm an addict. Have 21 models between airplanes, drones, cars and helicopters WhatsApp Image 2017-09-26 at 19.32.57.jpeg
  17. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Reverb Gold Contributor

Balance:
    5,828Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,042 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Another R/C pilot here. Built planes for a while for a guy who ran a column in Model Aviation but was mostly interested in sport scale. Goldberg J3 Cub, scratch-built P-38 Lightning, and so on.

Was flying a quad for a while and got some great video and photos, but kept seeing people doing the crazy stuff and flying near airports. Knew it was just a matter of time. Now I can't even fly in my own back yard since I live close to an airport. Have scratch-built tricopter hanging on the wall that I've never flown. Sigh. Even got a gimble to mount a camera on so I could do head tracking on the view down. Wanted to use a DK2 for stereo out of a P-38 cockpit but never did.

R/C is fun stuff. It's a shame the reckless copter guys did so much to mess up the hobby.