1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

oval drivers?

Discussion in 'iRacing' started by bruce stephen, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Nathan Older

Nathan Older Member

Balance:
    211Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I enjoy racing ovals, I just find the set up work far more important. if your car isnt right, you cant even drag it round to compete. So If your running the wrong set up, you might as well quit. (for me anyway)
  2. bruce stephen

bruce stephen Hammer doesnt fix it, must be electrical

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,237 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I agree. Unfortunately setting them up from scratch is a huge weakness for me. But Iracing does include the HOF sets for most tracks. They are pretty spot on. I rarely adjust more than tape, tire pressure and brake bias for current conditions. It's the long run that's hard to setup for sure.
  3. Nathan Older

Nathan Older Member

Balance:
    211Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Yeah, also have the fear of being cut off from the pack on an oval! running on your own :(
  4. bruce stephen

bruce stephen Hammer doesnt fix it, must be electrical

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,237 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Sometimes that is good to avoid big wrecks.;)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mprofitt

mprofitt Member

Balance:
    230Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I find the iRacing fixed setups a good place to start for a custom setup. You don't need many tweaks. You can be competitive with an iRacing fixed setup in an open race.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Nathan Older

Nathan Older Member

Balance:
    211Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Thats good news then, Thanks
  7. Scotty1186

Scotty1186 Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    148Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I ran RC up to Skippies and then I got left behind. I have had more success on ovals and am currently running Monte Carlo and Impala. Not quite ready for the trucks yet, thats a lot of investment for the long season. Go ahead and add me, Scott Rupp.
  8. mayhem

mayhem Cobra Commander

IT
    Balance:
    555Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    I'm mostly doing oval right now. It's because I'm new to racing sims in general. Kids have just gotten to the age where I can get back to gaming.
    Just not competitive enough on the road courses yet.
  9. hjr2

hjr2 Member

Balance:
    120Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    Lots of dirt oval for me.
  10. Jeffery Ford

Jeffery Ford www.youtube.com/FordEntertainmentGroupFEG

Balance:
    268Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I prefer oval myself. I find road racing more like time trialing after the first two laps. Its like riding around by yourself. Oval racing to me is more exciting as you are door to door almost the entire way.

With that said, I think that both oval and road require alot of skill to be fast. I just purchased a road wheel for my racing rig so i'll likely start doing a bit of road racing as well. But for me, Oval will always be my primary.

My DOF is going to be setup for oval...wondering if it will make a difference for road?
  11. Dav_Daddy

Dav_Daddy New Member

Balance:
    27Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    I hate to dig up this old of a post but all I really race are the NASCAR oval series on iRacing.

Anybody that wants to friend me on there it's "David Hoskins." I also have a website dedicated to iRacing oval series setups. There is something for each of the national series (Trucks, Xfinity, Cup, & to a lesser extent Legends 87) at just about every oval track. I can't post a link as I haven't got my training wheels off yet. I guess you can copy and paste it into your browser, opensetups.win that forwards you to the actual site OpenSourceSetups.x10.mx.

If I remember I'll come back and make those actual links once I've touched a boo.. err I mean got my minimum posts in. :grin