1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Simulation platform motion compensation.

Discussion in 'VR Headsets and Sim Gaming - Virtual Reality' started by DEADBEEF, Jul 7, 2016.

1. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    This is my second rig using a Oculus, the first one using DK2 did have metal close to the head. But as an experiment as detailed above, I used a big metal bar and moved it all around the HMD and also sat it right next to a running actuator motor. No effect to the image in the HMD. If your having to reset I expect the cause to likely be something else. I have a thread which goes into some of the issues with Oculus CV1 tracking in regard to motion rigs. https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/that-sinking-feeling.8762/#post-110607 Who knows what other 'undocumented features' that the Oculus has?
  2. MacThai_75

MacThai_75 Member

Balance:
    439Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Very interesting.
    Thanks for the link!

As indicted, I have general recentering issues that do not always appear, it's intermittent and semi-infrequent, but also in 'all' directions.
    Once again ... this is with a stationary rig.

Maybe, I'll pull my pit apart and see if the issue goes away when I go back to a desk.
    I'll need to take it apart anyway once I get a motion rig.
  3. MacThai_75

MacThai_75 Member

Balance:
    439Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I got an answer from Oculus (yeah .. on a Sunday!) that kind'a opens up a new door that might be an issue for some.
    Not so much with the magnetometer or EMF as I speculated, but certainly much easier to deal with by just covering any IR reflective surfaces with something non-reflective to IR.

Here's what they said ..

Thanks for reaching out to us about this issue. Metal and reflective surfaces can interfere with the tracking. The Rift has IR tracking dots all over the headset too that are unseen to human eyes so it may be reflecting that signal from the back of the headrest or something and causing issues. Using a different material may help resolve the issue. Currently it is not possible to disable hardware components within the Rift individually, but you may find useful info on the developer forums. I hope you have a nice day, take care!

Thanks,

George
    Oculus Support

So a better answer than I expected and if anyone had tracking issues that cause you to need to recenter, make sure you don't have IR reflective surfaces in the proximity of the HMD that might reflect the IR LEDs as he said, or actually from any part of the HMD as you turn your head.
    It all might be just that simple, and would help explain the difference between my experience with no issues at my wooden desk, while having some in my metal framed high seatback cockpit.
    Anyway ... easy to eliminate.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016