1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Choosing gear ratio: 75rpm @ 46Nm vs 100 rpm @ 37 Nm

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Grigory, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Grigory

Grigory Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    212Coins
    Ratings:
    +304 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, 6DOF
    I am starting to dive into 6 dof topic, among other things trying to make a list of needed hardware.

Geared DC motors seem to be optimal for a reasonably priced homebuilt system, so that decision is already made. Having read a number of discussions on this forum, I understand that torque of >20-25 Nm should be sufficient for 6 dof, especially if gas struts are used to help supporting platform weight.

One of the candidates that I am considering is Transtecno’s EC350.240 with either 30x or 40x gearbox. The first option gives 100rpm and 37Nm, the second – 75rpm with 46 Nm.

Do these look as viable options? What would be the better choice for primarily driving simulator? Should I aim for higher torque or higher rpm?

Thanks!

Regards,
    Grigory
  2. bruce stephen

bruce stephen Hammer doesnt fix it, must be electrical

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,237 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    From your explanation they do seem strong enough. Do you have a link to the motors or a spec sheet?
  3. Grigory

Balance:
    212Coins
    Ratings:
    +304 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, 6DOF
    Thanks!

Sorry, that's my first post and the system does not allow me to post links.
    The spec sheet for the motor is on transtecno's website: www_transtecno_com/ru/products-ru/pdf/198id-Transtecno-DC-Gearmotors-catalogue-ALU-DC-0915.pdf

I am considering EC350.240 motor with 350/040 gearbox at i=30 or i=40 ratio.
  4. Mic_n

Mic_n New Member

Balance:
    431Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    The thing to remember is that you're using these motors to provide linear motion via (usually) a control arm. That control arm converts that torque and rotational speed into a linear force and velocity. The length of that control arm determines how that rotational energy is converted to linear. A longer arm will give faster movements (and a larger range of motion), at the expense of reduced force, a shorter arm reverses that, so you can really achieve the same results with either, just by varying the length of your control arm. The significant difference being that a longer arm (requiring more torque, and less speed) will give you a greater range of motion.. but also take up more space.

You're sweeping out an arc from the gearbox shaft to the connecting rod attachment point. If you draw a straight line between start and end point, you get an isosceles triangle out of it (for a 60 degree rotation, an equilateral = easier math!) So a control arm of eg 10cm length sweeping across 60 degrees will push 10cm. Lengthen that arm and it doesn't have to turn as far to push that same distance, so it can do so a little slower... but it needs more force to do so.

IE: the control arm is part of your gearing in itself.

I'm a little concerned about those figures though. It's the same motor driving them, so the input power is the same. The 100 vs 75 RPM motor is a 4:3 speed ratio, so all else being equal the torque should be in a 3:4 ratio, meaning the 75PRM box should be putting out 49 (and a third)Nm, or the 100 is only doing 34.5. Either their figures are wrong or that 75RPM box is significantly less efficient than the 100. My money would be on the former.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Grigory

Balance:
    212Coins
    Ratings:
    +304 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, 6DOF

Thanks! I actually purchsed the 100rpm gearboxes, mostly because the 75rpm ones have some strange "service factor" of 0.7 with supplier's comment that gearboxes with SF of less than 0.8 are not covered by waranty and are not recommended for use.

I am planning to use these with 15cm levers and three supporting 350N gas springs. Simulation shows that this may produce about 1g of acceleration both up and down for a 100-110 kg platform.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      51.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      56 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg