1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

[DIY] OpenSimwheel.NET | Selbermacher Servo-Lenkrad

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by bberger, Aug 13, 2014.

1. bberger

bberger Member

Balance:
    306Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My FFB output is purely API based and for the input device I solily relied on vJoy (non FFB version).

I planned to port the code to support the new vJoy version wich has FFB support, but when MMos released his controller the need for it kind of vanished.. I may again pick up this topic at some point, but for now I don't see a strong reason to do so as the need for it is very very small..
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Francisco C

Francisco C New Member

Balance:
    349Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, AC motor
    Scuse me, I was talking about the firmware side, I mean, I found this rep in github
    https://github.com/OpenSimwheel/ArgonServoDriveFirmware
    with the sources for the firmware that handle the FFB, but I can not find the device descriptor.

Is not yours this repository?

What I want to make is adapt my device to make windows watch it like a FFB device
  3. bberger

bberger Member

Balance:
    306Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Communication to the Argon in my OSW firmware with OSW Commander is done via the proprietary SMv2 serial protocol. There is no HID USB device involved.

Argon gets an absolute torque setpoint and returns the current encoder position in return.

The only HID compatible device in the chain is vJoy. There is no Direct Input based Force Feedback involved. OSW commander takes actual calculated torque from the sim via API and translates it into an absolute torque setpoint sent to the Argon. vJoy is only responsible for receiving the returned encoder position and moving the game device axis accordingly.

You'll be able to find an FFB descriptor in the current version of vJoy (2.3+) though. The code is published on sourceforge under a public domain license.
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. shrav

shrav New Member

Balance:
    61Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Very nice
  5. cfischer

cfischer Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,419Coins
    Ratings:
    +234 / 1 / -0
    Is there any reason not to use a smaller(lighter) and perhaps cheaper motor/drive. It seems like a huge jump from less than 100w to 1kw. Im thinking I would rather have something in the 300-500w range. Anybody else ever have this thought?
  6. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    IMO in comparison with all the other hardware needed for the OSW the small mige is not too expensive. It meets our condition especially the reactivity, linearity and at least the speed, the MIGE is on a different league and worth the cost. (PS: the Lenze is again on a different league in comparison with the Mige)
  7. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,875Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Back in 2011, the first DIY Wheels trials were led on RacingFR.com forum. After many trials, Mige has been found with low cogging and affordable price. Since then, the choice has not been beaten.

Big Mige has bigger inertia ratio which is counter-productive.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    For what I know and for my part the big Mige makes only sense in combination with the IONI Pro, the "small" IONI can only drive the small Mige to full potential (and beyond), for the large Mige and its higher current requirements the IONI Pro is mandatory. IMO the statements done when only the "small" IONI was available are now obsolete because of outdated.

PS: we should not forget the encoder, the Mige fitted with 5K PPR encoder makes a difference to the original 2.5k one. Because we are talking about "cheap" DD wheels you can be sure that the Mige servos are worth the money, they do the job as you expect and for many years.
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
  9. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Addendum @RacingMat: if you did not sell your small Mige yet, we could make a personally comparison one day ;)
  10. RacingMat

Balance:
    20,875Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I did sell it...
    The comparison had been made with software monitoring "Wheel check"
  11. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Wheelcheck from iracing?
  12. RacingMat

Balance:
    20,875Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    sorry WheelTest :confused:

but by reading specifically the thread, the tools itself is not very reliable... so the controversy is still open!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    agree, same I was building up a hypothesis by provoking the theory at the assetto corsa community that wheelcheck does not typically work with the OSW...
  14. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    did a test using a drift steering wheel (350cm diameter, 10cm depth) and got these results:
    big mige.jpg
    Actually we should test without wheel - every wheel is different.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
  16. bob williams

bob williams OSW sfx100

IT
    Balance:
    87Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Hello, can anybody confirm if an ioni based osw works with nascar racing 2003 or Grand prix legends?
  17. bberger

bberger Member

Balance:
    306Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    NASCAR 2003 - yes.

Not sure about GPL, but since it's the same codebase I'd say yes too.
  18. bob williams

bob williams OSW sfx100

IT
    Balance:
    87Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Thanks bberger! Well if nascar racing works, chance is GPL will also work. There is also a ffb upgrade patch for GPL that filters out all canned affect. More info here http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=4226

I think this patch will do dd wheels good!

I have purchased a ioni based osw kit from Tomo. So I will find out soon how it is working.

Most of the osw postings on forums and youtube are from iracing. It would be nice to have a list of all working games with some setup tips.

Cheers
  19. bberger

bberger Member

Balance:
    306Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Basically anything that uses the MMos Firmware for the STM32F4 board should work in theoretically all games a Logitech/Thrustmaster/Fanatec/Bodnar wheel works too. There may be bugs in some legacy games that the big companies might have worked around, but from the historically important titles the wheel should work.

The only thing that I know is a challenge sometimes are Codemaster games. Or for the fact any game that might have had a documented history of struggling with solutions that are not Logitech based..
  20. bob williams

bob williams OSW sfx100

IT
    Balance:
    87Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Well I can confirme both GPL and NR2003 are working good. They behave quit similar. I am definitly not completly familiar with all the settings yet for finetuning.

I have used a simple gamepad to connect the buttons from the steering wheel. Its located directly behind the wheel.

So far I`m very impressed with the OSW, it really puts my rig to another level! IMG_5809.JPG IMG_5810.JPG
    • Like Like x 5