1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Moto monster keeps dying

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Simon Husum, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Simon Husum

Simon Husum Member

Electrician
    Balance:
    217Coins
    Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT
    Hi :)

I'm having some serious trouble about my new build.

A year ago I builded a 2dof with the racingmat program on a Arduino R3 and some cheap H bridges with wiper motors.

It has worked just great.

BUT there were a lot of sound inteference from the motors.

So I have now converted it to the SMC3 code with some motors from motion control products. Some 90ZYT 155 12v 50:1 ratio.

4 moto monster shield for controlling the 2 motors with 2 47a HP PSU's

There is something besically wrong.
    I have now fryed 3 Moto monster controller cards.

They all die on the same motor.

So I really believe that it has some kind of defect on that!

But the other motor still get the 2x moto monsters heatsinks very hot at a PWMMax at only 100.

And only after 2 minutes of use they are around 60 degrees hot. (Uses thermal pasta between MM and heatsink and some cable strips to keep them together.

Starting to believe there is something fundamental wrong.
    I can drive with the wiper motors at 215 PWMMax for several hours without any heat more or less.

Really starting to consider switching back to the wiper motors :confused:

Thanks in advance :)

P.s. The settings in the picture is as present. But ran the wiper motors with the high PWM settings. With the 90zyt motors it is at 100.

Attached Files:

2. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Dunno if this may help but set kd=0.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Simon Husum

Simon Husum Member

Electrician
    Balance:
    217Coins
    Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks Pit..

What outcome do you think that would change?

Mayby less heat?
  4. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Out of the box you do not need here to change anything. Second one is the power of the motors which could damage the MMs under load, the motor can also function as a generator and produce electricity to MMs.
  5. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,395Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I have had terrible trouble with dodgy VNH2SP30 chips on the cheap chinese clones.

To buy just one authentic and real VNH2SP30 chip its around £10. We are getting 2 of those and the board and everything else that comes with the MM clone for less than £5. I believe its just crap chinese manufacturing which is no where near as good as the actual SparkFun MM's which cost around £50 each. Also there is the pololu board which uses the same setup for just a little more cost.

I have had problems with a lot of the chinese clones they are crap overheat with the rig just sat there not moving.

Buy cheap buy 10 times lol :D
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Simon Husum

Simon Husum Member

Electrician
    Balance:
    217Coins
    Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi all..

Thanks for your opinions guys :)

I wont say I'm there yet. But definately on my way.

After adjusting the deadzone to 2 my MM's doesnt get warm anymore when it is "ready to go" (Asume it must have been my pots which have made some inteference so the motors was confused and all the tine tried to adjust and therefor heated ud the MM's chips.

It is now durable to use. But have adjusted my PWMmax to 145 and PWMmin to 0.
    My kP is only at 360 at the moment. The chips doesn't get too hot anymore.
    But the resistors (Or what the 2 small round ones in front the chips is called ;)) are still getting a bit too hot.

Have now mounted a heatsinks on them. They are getting around 70 degrees hot.

Is that normal??

Attached Files:

7. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    I never had any issues ever with the resistors, even I did not determine if they got hot or not...cooling the chips is mandatory but not the resistors at all. Congratulations that you got it and in future you will fiddle out the best settings but this needs time.
    • Like Like x 1