1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Lesson Vibration Motor Mount from SILICON.

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Musashi, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Musashi

Musashi New Member

Composer
    Balance:
    339Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    The idea is to show you how I made a silicone motor mounts, but the over all implication can be much broader than what I am doing here. Perhaps this helps other who are looking to DIY rubber motor mounts for vibrating brake modes or even perhaps your own pucks and shaking devices like Buttkickers.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

These are the pedal for my dad Driving Force Gt Wheel. Very bad, but he has nerve damage in his feet, so they work for him. IN this case we are adding a little FFB to the pedals, so we need to create a motor mount from caulk to attach the motor to the brake pedal. Obviously the problem with silicon caulk is that its kinda liquid. NOT HELPFUL. But what if we could change it a bit, keep the flexibility once dry, but make it like a moldable putty? YEAH :) The motor is by the way is from a broken XBOX 360 controller.

[​IMG]

The important part about vibrating motors it the mounts. For them to create the desired vibrations, you cant lock em down, they need to be able to move a bit... but not so much they come free. What could be better for this job than Silicon Rubber? The think about caulk is that is a messy product, so lets make it less messy.

[​IMG]

yup Corn starch. I have tried lots of things but cornstarch works like a charm. The thing about silicon when its dry is that its rather tough. That's a good thing, the trouble is that it dries far to slow for the impatient people like me. I want to get something done in a few hours, and luckily cornstarch does that trick. As you can see, i use a scale, and make sure that i keep my amounts equal. Now, there are two ways to use cornstarch. One is to thikin the silicon so its like a putty, the other is to simply make it cure quicker. What the difference...well. Adding anything to silicon caulk is gonna change the strength and flexibility of it a bit. There are time you want a silicon gasket but you don't want to wait and days for it to harden. The more corn starch the harder the silicon becomes when dry.

1:2 Silicon to Starch / putty in 10 min / hour work time / dries harder and less flexible, easier to rip.
    1:1 Silicon to Starch / moldable putty in 15-20 mintues / hour work time / drys flexible / harder to tear.
    3:1 Silicon to Starch / makes silicone cure in about an hour if you leave it in the sun / NOT putty / dried ULTRA flexible / A LOT harder to tear.

I have made harder molds from caulk and cornstarch, and usually once enter the world of more starch than silicon... things get harder and MUCH less flexible. Sometimes this is useful but other times its not.

A quick tip to those who are in application where they dont want the putty to touch the surface of their project, simply use saran wrap . Not only will is still cure being completely covered in saran wrap, it wont stick to the saran wrap once it dried.

So in our case we use 50/50 silicon to starch mix.
    [​IMG]
    This is what it looks like when you mixed it up. Its a thick paste. Over 5 to 10 minutes it starts to harden, depending on the brand of silicon. It WILL have a vinegary smell that's rather potent. I don't recommend inhaling it, I DO recommend ventilating your area. Its not overly obnoxious but it IS there, so don't be suprised when it shows up. I have not died and I have mix at least 3 tubs of caulk into various things in the last few years. That said, WHITE i rather boring and not easy to photograph...so We add a little latex or kids art paint. I think they call it acrylic...not certain. Have to check. Sorry no pic... blew that one :(

After a while it becomes a bit easier to handle with your hands
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    You will notice i have starch on my hands, thats because its still stickey until it cures up a bit more. The upside of having starch on your hands is it doesn't stick as much to your hands, you can begin to work if you want. The down side is that you have to be careful when you press the putty back over areas where that starch is sitting on top. THIS WILL CAUSE WEAKNESS and places where the silicon will more easily seperate under stress. BUT...if you in a hurry like me, you can take your chances.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I push the putty in the cavity just under the pedal. I need something to keep it attached. Ya, kinda of ugly but then again we all cant be artists, and its not the point here. let fix it up a bit.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

As it start to harden a little, it gets eaier to do thing like CUT it. I use a razor blade to cut a notch and push the moto down into the putty.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I then take a bit of the excess putty and pushed it around the motor on all sides. IN about an hour, it is going to get more rigid and easier to cut away what you don't want. This is pretty much the final shape, ill smooth it a bit in about an set it in the sun. After that, the motor can actually be removed and replace rather easily should need be. Silicon will remain flexible and should work for a good long while.

So thats that. 100% Pure Silicon meets good old everyday Kitchen Corn starch. Have fun.
    • Creative Creative x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Musashi

Musashi New Member

Composer
    Balance:
    339Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    One last thing.... use 100% pure silicon. It WORKS, others... not so much.
  3. GR88

GR88 Member

M.E Student
    Balance:
    644Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Nice to see this stuff in action. Much cheaper alternative to Sugru.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I remember seeing a commercial product that does this, sugru, then after a little research found the DIY version is essentially the same stuff.
  5. Musashi

Musashi New Member

Composer
    Balance:
    339Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Go figure, never bought the original... but it's interesting to hear. Wonder what percentage mix they use.
  6. Luciano merlino

Luciano merlino New Member

Balance:
    116Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK
    boys there are project for the vibration feedback to the pedals ?
  7. Musashi

Musashi New Member

Composer
    Balance:
    339Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
  8. tonnyhu

tonnyhu New Member

Balance:
    106Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor
    Excellent project. How can I buy this motor? I can 't find it in the internet. Can I you this motor for replacement.
  9. MarkusB

MarkusB Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    4,212Coins
    Ratings:
    +594 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    No, these tiny motors are for mobile phones or various kinds of toys.
    You rather need motors used for massage pads/cushions, like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC5V-12V-6V-Strong-Vibration-Head-Vibrator-Vibrating-DC-Motor-DIY-Massager-Model/322814003235?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=2&asc=52861&meid=bf57906a982144beabb3d3a52072f3cc&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=12&sd=323273901456&itm=322814003235&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
    You get them with different max. speeds, and in my opinion they should not be too fast for simulating engine vibrations.

And you should have a look at Game Vibe as an alternative to rumble motors.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  10. hjr2

hjr2 Member

Balance:
    120Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    Brilliant!