1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

600w / 900w 12v Gear Motor

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by CLEOPHUS, May 9, 2016.

1. CLEOPHUS

CLEOPHUS Member

Balance:
    229Coins
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    First Post. I have been trolling the forums for a bit, and haven't seen anything on these particular motors, so I would like to see what everyone thinks about them. I am planning a smaller scale 6dof, and really want to go the DC route due to lack of a 220v line in the area where it will reside. I started to look locally for used gear motors and stumbled across these new Dump Truck Tarp Motors from a place a mile away from where I live in Ohio.

(Cant post links because its my first post, also there are several cheaper places to buy on the new - but Amazon had best specs)

600w (0.8HP) version:
    90:1 gear for approx 40 RPM
    Search Amazon: Buyers Products 5541095 Tarp Gear Motor

900w (1.2HP) version:
    60:1 gear for approx 60 RPM
    Search Amazon: Buyers Products 5543965 Tarp Gear Motor

The specs tell me they would be a perfect fit - but I would like everyone's opinion.

Thanks in advance.
  2. cgodwin

cgodwin Active Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    2,478Coins
    Ratings:
    +278 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Those are some big motors. Even on Amazon the prices are pretty good for a motor with that much power. Of course it matters how much stuff you stack on top of your 6DOF platform and your range of motion. But for most typical setups a 600W or 900W motor would be plenty big enough. Either motor should have plenty of power, so I would lean toward the higher speed one.

What motor driver are you planning on using? Peak current could top 100A for each motor, so this would take a serious motor driver. Also I assume you are planning to run off car batteries? It would take some big power supplies and multiple 20A circuits (at least 3) to power a 6DOF with these directly.
  3. CLEOPHUS

CLEOPHUS Member

Balance:
    229Coins
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Wow. I guess I haven't thought the peak amps or the watts to amps calculation. I only have 2 - 20a circuits available at the location. I planned on using Moto Monsters or the AMC1280USB. The 30 amp limit of the motos wont cut it. I don't think these are going to work! Thank you for the reply.
  4. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    I've used those motors before myself. They have a large brass gear that's only 1/8" or so wide. With the power they have it doesn't take much to start breaking off teeth.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. cgodwin

cgodwin Active Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    2,478Coins
    Ratings:
    +278 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    If you don't need full power, you can limit the duty cycle of the motors any maybe keep it down to what a Moto Monster can handle. I'm not sure if the 30A limit is instantaneous peak (less than a millisecond) or average over some length of time. 30A x 12V = 360W. Six of those, and assuming 90% power supply efficiency comes out to 2400W, or exactly what a single 20A 120V outlet can handle. Since you shouldn't ever have a situation where all 6 motors are at maximum at the same time (except maybe a big heave event?) that should give you some safety margin.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Rocco

Rocco New Member

Balance:
    83Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow, that's a tiny gear for a ~1HP motor. Any pics of the internals by chance?
  7. CLEOPHUS

CLEOPHUS Member

Balance:
    229Coins
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I would love to see the internals too.
  8. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    If I can find the time, I'll open one up again to show you. I put the covers back on them because they are filled with oil which is what makes the gearboxes so large. But, since the diameter of the worm gear is quite small, it goes to figure that their is not much contact area between the worm gear and the spur gear. Therefore, there is no purpose in making the spur gear much wider than the contact area of the worm gear.
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
  9. Rocco

Rocco New Member

Balance:
    83Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I see that the popular gear motors from pgsaw on eBay are rated at 180w vs 600w/900w for these tarp gear motors. Are these tarp gear motors truly that much more powerful than the pgsaw eBay motors, or is it some marketing trick where the motors are rated unloaded vs loaded or something?

Just trying to determine which motor to go with between the two...
  10. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK

I would venture to say the 600/900w is a little inflated for marketing purposes. ;)
  11. Rocco

Rocco New Member

Balance:
    83Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, figured. :) You are running the pgsaw 25:1 motors, right? At any point have you wanted something more powerful or faster? I'm planning on a "desk racer" design, not a shoulder mount, so was thinking the more power, the better.
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
  12. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK

Yes im running 25's and You'll want 50's for your setup.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Its true that motors wattage ratings are often stated incorrectly due to standards not being applied, especially when its a Chinese import.
    The best way to judge a Chinese motor though is by its size since they mostly all use the same magnet type. For example, a motor referred to as an 80zyt means is casing is 80mm in diameter. If the casing is 100mm in length (not including the front and back covers) then its a 600watt motor. For every 25mm more in length, add another 200watts. This should hold true for any Chinese motor with an 80mm diameter casing.
    The Buyers Products motors I have are 80mm by 125mm long casing. They were claimed to be 1.2HP. But 125mm would make them only 800watts by my estimation.
    For US motors, like Bodine, you can't make the same estimation though because the US doesn't have low cost, high power magnets readily available like China does. Therefore they usually use less powerful magnets in comparison making US motors larger watt for watt. This in turn leads to more raw materials being used watt for watt also. While this adds more to their cost, there is the side benefit they they will dissipate heat faster due to their larger mass which is some consolation.
    • Informative Informative x 3