1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Aluminium Frame. Questions.

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by knob2001, May 3, 2016.

1. knob2001

knob2001 Member

Balance:
    24Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi.
    After all these years, it's time to start a new project... however, smaller than the last one you can see in my avatar :) No more monitors... long life to Oculus's CV1 .

I've seen that the price of aluminium Slot frames have dropped since the last time I checked, so maybe it's the way to go. Instead of jumping to the whole, complete rig, I'm going to focus on the frame, and then, I'll move into the motors.

Some questions arise at this very starting point:

1) The different, proprietary type of slots (aluminium extruded), makes all quite incompatible. Some must be mechanized, some need just a bolt, there's L model, I model... . Sadly, the 8020 stuff is very expensive to import here in Europe and buying from china is a risky sport i don't want to play. So the only affordable shop i found around my country (Spain) is Motedis.com , a well known german website. (Which, btw, has a very 'particular' way to deal with the customers).

On Motedis, you can find whatever aluminum part you will ever need, even something like this: http://www.motedis.es/shop/Friends-of/Sim-Rig/KPCR-Piez-RIG-Expert::99999866.html

Example 01:

[​IMG]

Example 02:
    [​IMG]

At 298€ incl. VAT, L 180cm x B 78cm x H 64cm, sounds massive cheaper than all the frames that I've seen at such dimensions or by DIY parts.

What do you think about it? Those frames look like 40x40... sturdy enought, isn't?

2) I don't know how to upgrade such a thing (Seat... keyboard... HOTAS at each side... you name it). There's a lot of different bolts and connectors in their catalog. Could be great to have some help from any german soul around this forum. Just to send a mail without google translator.

Ok, that's it. First stone. Who knows how this will end in the long run.

Regards, fellows DIY engineers. :)
  2. Sebj

Sebj Active Member

Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +165 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
  3. knob2001

knob2001 Member

Balance:
    24Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info, Sebj. I can see a bunch of very good ideas there!
  4. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,215Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
  5. MAYA One

MAYA One Member

Balance:
    468Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Sustained attention!!
  6. knob2001

knob2001 Member

Balance:
    24Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi!

That's the whole point about my first post... the 8020 is a dead end overseas (as far as i know, of course). After some emails with a german guy at their official forum, finally, I've understood all that bolts and nuts business needed to upgrade the basic frame. So it's time to move forward the project and start ordering the heavier stuff.

Any ideas about how to add the mouse pad and the keyboard? I guess I need some pivot parts... an arm or something i can push away. That's the first decision i must take before ordering the parts.

Regards.

P.D. What a great piece of art you have there, yobuddy! I'll try to catch you up in the coming months []-)
  7. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,215Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
  8. knob2001

knob2001 Member

Balance:
    24Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi!

I've tried ebay some many times, but there's no way to find something cheaper than Motedis. This week I'll proceed to send my order.

About the keyboard and the mouse. I believe I will need the standard combo instead. The smaller things like the one you've pointed me it's a good idea, but although I've used those before, I've never felt them very comfortable.

This is (work in progress) what I'm going to order.

[​IMG]

Those strange protuberances are made with 2m 40x 40 and 2m 40x80 parts. The keyboard and the mouse has a moving part to push it away when needed.

See you in next post! (hopefully with the frame done)