1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

2 DoF By 2 Dummies

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Casey Pareni, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Casey Pareni

Casey Pareni MasterP

Firefighter
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    So I wanted to show off my project that is already functional! I used this sight exclusively to complete my build and I just want people to know that if a couple dummies like us can pull off a sim, then anyone can do it. The resources available on this site really make it possible for someone who doesn't have an engineering degree to build something incredible that all your friends can enjoy.

My building partner was diagnosed with Lymphoma shortly after we decided to start this project. I have to say that building this with him was really great! We put the hours in and the beers down and for me, it was a way to get closer to a really great person and it really helped to take my mind off of the reality of things. I think it was good for him too. He is in full remission and undergoing his final treatments now in Texas. I cant wait for him to come back and enjoy some drunk driving for best times on the sim! I guess what I'm saying is thankyou to everyone in this community for donating your time and expertise to make this possible for us. We both had a really great time putting this thing together and it honestly helped us to get through a tough time for him.

On that note, the build is still pretty crude. We aren't experts in any of the skills required to do a project like this, so its amazing that we got it up and running. Fortunately my friend has some soldering and welding skills so we were able to work it out. I hope you enjoy.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Casey Pareni

Casey Pareni MasterP

Firefighter
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Heres my friend getting some welding done early in the project

Attached Files:

3. Casey Pareni

Casey Pareni MasterP

Firefighter
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    The base and seat frame ready to go. Project was slow.... we did more beer drinking than working

Attached Files:

4. Casey Pareni

Casey Pareni MasterP

Firefighter
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    The seat added to the seat frame. We decided to add an angle to the seat so we didn't feel like we were leaning forward. Testing it made it feel very comfortable and I have to say that it works really well with a completed sim too! 20160128_182949.jpg 20160123_161207.jpg
  5. Casey Pareni

Casey Pareni MasterP

Firefighter
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Heres a closer look at the pedal frame. We decided to invert the T500 pedals. After testing in the natural position it really felt like we had to use too much knee motion to engage them. The angle we have here with the inversion allows us to operate with minimal leg movement. Again, were really happy with this configuration. We decided we want people of all sizes to be able to play, so we added some heavy duty drawer sliders to the pedal mount so anyone from my 4' daughter to my 6' 5" partner can play! Still need to add the angle brackets and lock pins to hold them in place though... 20160215_183003.jpg 20160215_183008.jpg 20160215_181448.jpg
  6. Casey Pareni

Casey Pareni MasterP

Firefighter
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Added the shifter... the mounting bracket for the shifter can easily be removed with 2 bolts so we can put in a flightstick... just in case. 20160220_211252.jpg 20160220_211327.jpg
  7. Casey Pareni

Casey Pareni MasterP

Firefighter
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    We used a couple of wiper motors that I picked up at the junkyard for $30. They came off of a Ford Explorer. This is how we mounted them and the feedback pots. We mangled our brackets and went through a couple pots during the testing. Guys, just read the instructions from the site! It will save you some hassle. Us two dummies got it all going eventually though. We decided to go ahead and leave the shrink tubing as our pot to motor connection since it works so well and we don't care too much about how it all looks. 20160228_120247.jpg 20160228_120253.jpg 20160229_100521.jpg 20160229_162056.jpg
  8. Casey Pareni

Casey Pareni MasterP

Firefighter
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Heres the electronics. I didn't take many pictures of this, but there are plenty of them available on this site. We used an Arduino with the Monster moto controller. I'm waiting for some red LED fans to come in before I put that power supply case back together with the electronics in it. The PSU is from an HP server. Motors are very reactive... this thing is a ton of fun! 20160229_162105.jpg 20160310_083404.jpg
  9. Casey Pareni

Casey Pareni MasterP

Firefighter
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Mounted the seat frame to the base on pic 1. The CV joint was from an old jeep I guess, got this for free from a friend, couldn't beat the price! As you can see I have started cleaning up the wiring... 20160228_120257.jpg 20160310_083427.jpg
  10. shannonb1

shannonb1 Well-Known Member

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor, Arduino, JRK, 4DOF
    That coupler and that arm have failure point written all over them. I suggest you clean and align that piece and order some proper couplings off of amazon. When that plastic slips over time your arm is going to lose position and break your POT while it spins around in a circle.
  11. Casey Pareni

Casey Pareni MasterP

Firefighter
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    The wood blocks.... well when you get cheap wiper motors, they can sag. When they sag, they can jack up your pot brackets. This is our fix for now. Also is a close up of the expensive wheel and another look at the whole thing in all its glory! =) 20160310_083437.jpg 20160310_083515.jpg 20160310_083349.jpg
  12. shannonb1

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Another point from me. Not sure if your motors feel laggy but with that wheel, pedals, wheel mount and your lower half of your body, your rig is very front heavy with the position of your pivot shaft under the seat. If you find movement to be slow you may want tot adjust that balance point forward.
  13. shannonb1

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I would also recommend you look into hall sensors vs pot's as they will move 360 without breaking.
  14. Casey Pareni

Casey Pareni MasterP

Firefighter
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    My partner driving the simulator. Hes a big boy and its still very responsive. We were a little concerned about whether it could handle him but it just laughed at us. =)

Attached Files:

15. Casey Pareni

Casey Pareni MasterP

Firefighter
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Don't even know what a hall sensor is. Ill check it out.
  16. Casey Pareni

Casey Pareni MasterP

Firefighter
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    \

As of now they feel really responsive. We spent a little time trying to find center of gravity for the top portion of the sim with us sitting in it and then split the difference betweens his and my centers. It is DEFINITELY front heavy! But with a pilot it seems to be fairly well balanced. As you can see with the block picture, having that motor mounted reverse causes it to sag its so heavy. In hind sight, we should have just put the motor in the same direction as the other side and reversed the polarity so motor could hold the sim on its own. Of course we couldn't have known that until we got it all together.
  17. Casey Pareni

Casey Pareni MasterP

Firefighter
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    LOL! Yes were not embarrassed about this particular part of the sim, but were not really proud of it either. We will eventually build a stronger bracket and get a proper coupler here, this is the temporary solution left in place for testing and mangling brackets and pots.
  18. shannonb1

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I use the same pots as well.

Here are the type of couplers that most people use for 1:1 connections like you have.

61WeYzsUPXL._SL1100_.jpg
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. shannonb1

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yes, just search amazon for
    5mm x 8mm 5/16 coupler. They are like 10 $ a piece. Of course these depend on your sizes.