1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Trigens G-Seat build starting up

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Trigen, Jan 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi guys!
    Edited for pictures :
    20190322_184923.jpg 20190322_184931.jpg 20190322_184937.jpg 20190411_211619.jpg 20190418_184833.jpg 20190418_184854 (2).jpg

So ive finally decided to go for this and ive got most of the parts. It will be based on the berginsons and Rift flyers builds https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/riftflyers-g-seat-project.8418/ I will build the seat in wood. I just need to borrow a saw to cut the side parts. I live in such a confined space at the moment that it will also be my comfy chair with wheels and some extra pillows in that mode. Think Tokyo living spaces.

I have started wiring up some ardunios for testing with a pot and the motors and i hope to start building the actual seat tomorrow. I still need some bearings for the wooden wheels so that will probably take a week or so. Id love to see a tutorial on exactly how but i think i got it correctly

Ive been thinking of connection the pots in a direct linkage instead of using gears. I have a 3d printer so i can do either if i so wish. Perhaps someone with more experience in this could say something about the resolution the pots would need. Perhaps a 2:1 gear ratio or is it fine with direct?

The rest is a bit trial and error. My motors are a bit on the small side but i dont weigh much.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

So far i have
    4x motors
    2x Ardunios and 50 amp controllers
    4x pots 10k ohm
    Wiring
    Wood
    Wood wheels to be made, have access to lathe. Need bearings
    All the linkages and rods.
    Lots of drilling holes, learned how to sharpen bits!

I need to get a hold of the link arm you see one that one motor (the black plastic) in metal as they didnt come with one, any tips on name of those are welcome!
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  2. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    So i decided i just wasnt happy with the previous stuff. Im lacking the saw's i need to get a proper straight cut and it felt a little wonky. Instead i just decided to start on my Dx racer chair and it turned out to be easier (so far) than expected.

Here's the general idea. The wood panels are actually very sturdy attached like this. The PSU and all wiring will be in a box under the seat. I may build a box in the back later but for now it will be open but with the cabling hidden as much as i can. Thankfully the material i already had was a perfect fit! Ill get aluminium panels to save space for the flaps later. I got a machine shop 10 minutes away where i used to work so i should get that cheap.

PS this is my office chair too so im currently backless haha!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  3. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    As this will mainly be for flight sims im looking to get the most realistic G sense. I maybe actually use paddles (for better ground takeoff/landing noise) and a pneumatic system thats driven by the same motors. its an idea but will see on torque and stall
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Getting a little further in my build. The backrest is essentially complete and working but the final position of things are not decided. I 3d printed some brackets for the pots but ill be replacing these with halls sensors later on. Ill use the same brackets though.

I am skipping the wheels for now as my tools just isnt up to the job of getting a true cut and holes so that will wait. I also have 2x sabertooth x32 on the way and may get another motor to do the belts for a more realistic feel.

One thing that bothers me is that the pressure you get from the flaps just dont feel right so as a go between i think i will cut them in half and use a hinge. That way i will get more hug feel from the pressure.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  5. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    The seat is now fully operational but far from finished. The sabertooth's has arrived but im waiting for the resistors. Im testing one hooked up to a car battery. Im also testing out some cooling on the motors with the fan hot glued and they are cool to the touch. Its a wire mess i know!

I was happy to test it on Dirt rally today but as im real life's Donald duck my wheel (which ive already had to buy a new AC adapter that took 2 weeks to get here) decided it would no longer receive FFB signals after my forth run and a i cant afford a new one for a year lol. All centering forces work so go figure. Can still do flight sims though

Todo:

Mount PSU laying flat on the backrest. 3D print housing for both
    3D Print Boxes for motors with the fan on top and vent holes for a clean look
    Clean up all wiring

Later build things up and out so i get more width. DxRacer's are a bit narrow but acceptable for flaps.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Added some on off switches and a some black cardboard to the back. It's not exactly small but will be less than half f that once I rearrange it. No rush though. Now comes the tuning and some more programming for the G seat.

I have to admit Dirt rally in VR with the seat tuned reasonably well is one hell of a ride in Finland! I do need to get the jump landings to feel better but other than that its just great!

Ps fixed the wheel, some moron at logi/microsoft added a switchbox for FFB (in game controllers settings where you dont normally go for logi) and turned it off by default, go figure.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  7. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Managed to finish most today! We'll see about motor covers later ive run out of black! Also need some stuff to cover up the leather seems around the psu etc

Also as you can see ive gotten some sponsorship :p I happen to be a kite team rider there though

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. zapata_h

zapata_h Active Member

Industrial Maintenance Manager
    Balance:
    307Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino
    Good project
  9. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Doing some surge sway modifications to the seat ala @SeatTime

This is mainly for testing and ill be using one motor for the surge element. Two of them is fine though as i do not move the seat forward for braking as this is the wrong force and acceleration forces are not that high. Now it kicks back and leave my upper back free of the seat giving the illusion that i'm off the seat on braking as it should be. For the sway the jury is still out on what i like the most. The feeling in the back is more similar and it does not matter that much which way it goes so it is easier to have it move to the side you would lean in real life and into the seat rather than away and get the correct direction. For cars the first is best but for flying the latter is imo. I have also decided not to go with passive flaps as its a big hindrance to my "real world" directions and will incorporate active flaps if i feel the need later. For now i get good sway and surge with this system. I will most likely add air bladders to the flaps though.

I decided to go with 2020 profile as its easy to modify but i ran out of hardware 4 minor steps away from finishing. Im also still waiting on my sliders but ive designed a 2020 slider with 3d prints and grease that ive been using for a while. The bottom will get the same system but both will be more compact as this is just way to high at the moment.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I have to admit i do prefer having just the sway (i love the sway) and active flaps. Having the back move forw/back does not add a whole lot for me. Everyone's opinion is different though :)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. janio

janio janio from brazil

state employee
    Balance:
    184Coins
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    hello, for me this concept in simulation is new, but I understand that it must be highly responsive to the G-force, mine is more focused on swings and bumps with 180º on the x axis and 60º on the y axis.
    About the potentiometers you asked, I used all the potentiometer resolution for the course of the slopes, but I believe that you should use between 80% and 90% because I noticed a loss at the end of the decreasing direction of the resistance, it is as if the Arduino despised the resistance reading is very low (or maybe it's the high side, I may be confusing). happiness with your project.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    It's a never ending project (and ive gone manic again so shit happens! Good for something at least, just not for the wallet haha) and with a 200mm sfx100 triple setup the G seat is my main focus again. If I wasn't doing flight sim I would go full G seat really.

Added surge to the seat and a new frame. Waiting for 2 servo motors with 20:1 gearboxes. While it's more complex I prefer having sliders in the back over a torso mover type as I find it gives a better feel in the back. I'll add that once the servo motors come. I will also add side flaps to the bottom

I havent decided if i will move the backrest up and down or the seat yet. ill have to see later on.

On a side note im going to fly an acro flight in a sailplane this Sunday so i can get a real feel for the forces!

20210506_133946.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
    Last edited: May 7, 2021
  13. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Added the side flaps. I really do love these perforated steel plates. Its so easy to test stuff and just stick a few together if needed.

• Like Like x 3