1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Traction Loss only scn-5 with d-box

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Ministrinity, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Ministrinity

Ministrinity Member

Film VFX Artist
    Balance:
    811Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Hi dear experts of motion simulation.

I'm planning a build to add traction loss to an existing d-box rig. But it's hard to find a definitive guide that will help me with embarking this journey of building a DIY simulation system. Please correct me if i picked a wrong component.

So far the information I've gathered to what i need to acquire is
    SCN-5 - There are two options in the cart of the link below. one is: S3 JPN ILK to 0v. The other: AS03 PNP EUR to +24v. Any idea what these two versions are?
    http://frex.xsrv.jp/gpshop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=214{5}83

USB interface
    http://frex.xsrv.jp/gpshop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=213

Power supply - Not sure if this is the right kind, or is 6A enough for one SCN-5.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/145W-24V...05?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item259aa440c9

Connection wiring schematic

[​IMG]

Once the parts are assembled and wired. I plug in the USB. Run simtools and it should work?
    Can anyone point me to a tutorial for simtools software configuration for traction loss on a single actuator?

The rest I'll have to get a design started for an 8020 build underneath my entire simulator. Hoping to get this all in within 1k aud.

Cheers, and thanks for the help in advance.
    here's my current build.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  2. Ministrinity

Ministrinity Member

Film VFX Artist
    Balance:
    811Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  3. Rastus

Rastus Active Member

Retired
    Balance:
    11,518Coins
    Ratings:
    +151 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Is that you Nick, your rig looks familiar? I don't know much but I reckon a Scn5 isn't going to have anywhere near the guts to move that massive rig at anywhere near the speed required for realistic traction loss. Good luck with it
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @nclabs , what do you think? SCN5 or SCN6 for this? Or would he need to go DC motor and JRK perhaps, maybe @SeatTime or @Nick Moxley might have an idea
  5. Ministrinity

Ministrinity Member

Film VFX Artist
    Balance:
    811Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Yeah it's me. May I know who is this? Does anyone knows if the traction loss unit on the simxperience is an scn 5 or scn6? 100mm or 150mm? Those rigs are equally as heavy as mine. Don't be fooled by the 8020. They are in fact rather lightweight. I got a reply from Shige from Frex and he mentions that his new hyperaxis 100 can move loads of 100kg.
  6. Ministrinity

Ministrinity Member

Film VFX Artist
    Balance:
    811Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Thanks for the recommendation of experts dave! :)
  7. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    its that "young" Trevor bloke, whom visited your place, you remember, a bit of grey-white hair, fellow sim builder, swears like a trooper?
  8. Ministrinity

Ministrinity Member

Film VFX Artist
    Balance:
    811Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Ah yes Trevor. how could i forget. Shall invite you guys over for a drive once I complete this project.

http://simxperience.com/products/accessories/stageseriesupgrades/reartractionlosssimulation.aspx

it says here in the simxperience page the third traction loss actuator is an scn5 150mm.
    i guess horrizontally it's not really pushing the full weight and with proper swivel joints. It might be feasible.

Here's what I'm trying to possibly achieve. It's a mate's rig recently completed. very nice 8020 design.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @Ministrinity , I will arrange 2 weeks off when that is finished, 10 days, 9 to do everything so I have one day free. ergh. You know what my time frame is like..... ;)
    I tagged a few blokes on here that have drift frame, they must be asleep or busy.
    Your mates rig seat would be a lot lighter than the GS4, but its obviously feasible.
  10. Ministrinity

Ministrinity Member

Film VFX Artist
    Balance:
    811Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Seems like Shige-san from Frex can provide all the components I need. Including a power supply. So it's all made for xsimulator. Pretty good news that Frex components now fully supports xsimulator. For those looking for a more affordable alternative to own a simxperience stage 5 motion sim with traction control loss that's pretty much plug and play should look to Frex. Even all wiring should be supplied i suppose. Judging by the pictures on the website.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Beawdy mate! Now to get simtools running as well
  12. Rastus

Rastus Active Member

Retired
    Balance:
    11,518Coins
    Ratings:
    +151 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Yeah Nick Dave is right it's that old fart Trevor that came over for a run last year, couldn't help but recognise such an impressive rig when I saw it on the site last night. Sorry to be pessimistic but after seeing some of the efforts of others on this site using levers,chains, ropes etc using fairly decent sized motors I thought it was pushing the envelope using a scn5 especially with the Gseat (how much does it weigh?) and driver at the moving end of the pendulum. Be interesting to see what our experts say. Anyhow good luck with the project.
    Trevor
  13. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 39 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    I use DC motors for my traction loss and have no personal experience with the SCNs although I know Simexperience uses SCN5. Good to see you got it sorted. Nice rig by the way. As long as the traction loss is running on good bearings, its just the inertia that you have to worry about, I can move mine with one finger, although I don't have monitors fitted to the rig anymore (DK2).
  14. Ministrinity

Ministrinity Member

Film VFX Artist
    Balance:
    811Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Okay,

I've proceeded to purchasing the following parts from FREX

Listed minimum parts you will be needed.
    Products
    1 x DC24V4.5A Power Supply 9,980YEN
    1 x RodendSCN5 1,800YEN
    1 x CollarOD12ID6 300YEN
    1 x SCN-USB converter 4,980YEN
    1 x SCN5-010-150
    - Version: -S03 JPN ILK to 0V 38,600YEN

Payment Method
    Sub-Total: 55,660YEN
    Air Shipping Service (1 x 3.55kg) (FedEx, EMS): 6,800YEN
    Total: 62,460YEN

Ship to Japan address 1,000 Yen instead of 6,800 Yen.
  15. Ministrinity

Ministrinity Member

Film VFX Artist
    Balance:
    811Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino

Hi Trevor,

I'm just assuming that, since simxperience uses the same scn-5 and they usually have examples of the GS-4 seat on their rig. It shouldn't be too big of a difference in weight. The Gseat is actually rather light for what it does. Since it's a kirkey racing seat.
  16. nclabs

nclabs Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    196Coins
    Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    It depends all on what do you want to move. The traction loss can be made in a lot of different ways, and each of these ways can need a different kind of force. If you want to move the whole rig with a pivot on the front of it, even using some ball bearings, you need a SCN6 for sure. If you want to make a "layer" between the seat and the rig, and move only that part, you can make it with a single SCN5, but you need to carefully tune the mechanics, with all the ball bearings and the possible friction. Keep in mind that SCN5 are very fast, but not very strong.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Ministrinity

Ministrinity Member

Film VFX Artist
    Balance:
    811Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Thanks for that feedback NClabs.Unfortunately I went forward with the purchase and paid. :( It's being shipped now. The way i figured, the SCN-5 might just be adequate. If a full simxperience rig can take it well enough. Shouldn't be too much of an issue. There will be a swivel that's capable of taking 1250kg of weight. and in my mate's simxperience scn-5 rig, he's got stabilizing ball transfers on the other end to take the seat end weight. I'm gonna try to replicate that with my rig. Hopefully all this will work. If it fails, I'll go for an SCN 6.

Know if anyone has done this before? A d-box on top of a traction loss system?
    I probably might need to drill the dbox actuator cups into an 8020 frame.
  18. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It should be similar to any existing frame mounted on a drift frame. Look up @Nick Moxley thread on his build
  19. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Yes you will want to Bolt the Dbox to the Base Traction loss frame, Imo your asking alot of a SCN5 to move all that weight so what i suggest is Support the Traction loss frame on 4 castor's, one at each corner with a bearing up front. Instead of the typical bearing up front and 2 castor's out back. Get some Decently sized castor's that can take 4-500lbs each, The more weight they can carry, the less friction between the frames. Although as already been stated, Its somewhat not the initial movement thats the problem but the Inertia the Traction loss develops. You'll soon see what we are talking about.

PS your rig was one of those rigs I Dreamed of when i first got into Simracing and started looking into the high end stuff and motion. lol Honored to have some input into your creation. :cheers
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Ministrinity

Ministrinity Member

Film VFX Artist
    Balance:
    811Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Thanks for the input Nick. Would you be able to please point out what kinda castors I would specifically need, and image or website would help me with my search for something like that? When I think of castors. I only visualize them as the wheels underneath an office chair.

And yes. It seems like I will be the very first person to try to achieve this. I'm fortunate to have come across friends that help me out with the build and I got the dbox from a mate for much cheaper. Before this I believe I was brave enough to combine d-box with gseat. And it was a great success and amazing experience. The d-box also provides amazingly detailed tactile vibration. Much like our ffb steering wheels. So the range of motion experienced with this combination might be pretty good.

As for traction loss. Yeah. I'm a little worried now if the inertia is enough. If in any case. Traction loss should be a gradual feeling right? Or can it be rather violent?