1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question I need answered - Heim / or / Rod End Joints

Discussion in 'Forum and Website' started by cthiggin, Mar 23, 2014.

1. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hi folks,
    I have my crankarms completed and will attach the "bottom" heim joint or rod end (we call them rod ends here in USA)
    I "have" looked at pictures of at least 50 different DIY motion sims, concentrating on how the rod ends are attached to the crankarms and that's pretty much a no-brainer -
    My question is:
    Out of my crankarm end , I have a 1/2" steel shaft coming out at 90degrees - I have two 1/2" lockable collars, one on "each" side of the rod end that's 1/2" also -
    SHOULD these collars be "tight, against EACH side of the rod end / OR / should I leave some "spacing" for the rod end to be able to have it's full left-right travel........in the ball.

I know this is probably a silly-assed question, but all of the examples I have looked at, well, they are just all over the place.........and I just want to "do-it-by-the-book"....

Your help is ALWAYS appreciated folks.

Have a blessed one and again, Thank You.

Tom
  2. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG
    Historiker,
    You can see I've had to leave "spacing" in the locking collars so the heim can get it's full travel..........
    After looking at your "eBay item", I think this would work so much better - taking the space out of the collar -
    Would this work - (Middle Picture) 1. Take the Lock Bolt "OUT" the one that's snugged against crankarm - (the crankarm is threaded as well as the shaft - the left or outboard lock nut should suffice - and hold quite well by itself.
    2. Move the inside collar OVER to the left, against crankarm when the inboard locknut is now. 3. USE 1 of "your" cones - inboard - push rod-end up against inboard cone - slip an outboard cone on, THEN
    use the other collar (as seen above) to Snug up against the outboard cone.....................Solution - Full rod-end movement.

PLEASE Confirm that this is a correct method of doing it, the "right way"?

THIS is the other topic I asked you to have a look-seen and give me feedback - http://www.xsimulator.net/community...of-ac-platform-4th-dof-is-this-feasible.5332/

Please answer the rod-end method so I can order the cones.

THANKS so very very much for your help.

Tom

Attached Files:

4. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi Tom, I think you can use the cone spacers and a couple of nuts to lock the whole thing together. One nut on each side of the armature, a cone spacer, the joint, another cone space and then two standard nuts (tighten these to against each other as keepers). You do not need to squeeze the joint between the cone spacers just snug the outer nuts against them and then as I said just tighten the two nuts against one another to lock them in place on the bolt. I would use a #8 hardness bolt.
  5. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Historiker,
    GOSH, thanks so much - so simple - I have again learned a valuable informative method.....
    You know - I "should" remember the phrase - "KEEP IT SIMPLE - STUPID" - Sure works in most cases.

I've already ordered the cones at eBay - 1.25 ea, free shipping - can't beat that.

THANKS again friend,
    Have a most Blessed one,

Tom