1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom My Joyrider Project Comes to a Life

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by value1, Nov 12, 2011.

1. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,463Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,318 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    ══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════
    AlmostFinalStage.jpg
    ══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════

Finally – after gone through hydraulics, servo and AC motors, actuators, real life measurements, 3DoF, 2DoF, welding course, etc. – my sim is coming to a life.
    Platform Hardware Small.jpg
    It's a mixture of all different kinds of thoughts I leverage from the forum here. Thank you all, guys, for your help and your projects shared!
    After all I plan now to use 2 wiper motors driven by jrk's (too lazy/busy/scared for Tronic's AMC motor motion-controller with pwm/servo output)
    The screen shall be attached to the inner frame as well as the seat. The theoretical pitch angle is 30°, which is 0.5g. Let's see what the motors can stem.
    The motors shall pull 2 steel cables connected to the inner and outer frame. Geometric details still to be worked out.
    I will keep you posted about the progress.
    Thomas
    • Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Bruceaust

Bruceaust Member

CNC Routing
    Balance:
    63Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Looks good Thomas,
    Have a look at

erich-s-flightsim-t1265.html?hilit=cessna

The way Erich has done his motion seems to overcome alot of problems with cable slack and ease of adjustability. The drive system is symetrical. I will be using a similar system, for a similar joyrider setup as yours.
    I will follow your project with interest.
    Bruce
    • Like Like x 1
  3. value1

Balance:
    14,463Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,318 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Today I kicked out the wipers. They stalled at 9V/18A :( I mounted a winch (Arwin TRC9202) instead. Man is it noisy and screams for a good headphone ;D
    But it has the power! It easily moves my 25 kg sandbag up and down :yippiee:
    This is the Christmas present for me :D
    Winch Chain Drive Small.png
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Those winch motors are becoming popular for sure!
  5. BartS

BartS Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    you should go 24v, no probs finding a 24v powersupply on ebay sub 120euros and power upto 1000w, trust me thats kickin it for 2 motors you will need seatbelts. However finding a controller that you can use will be your challenge. 2DOF should be no probs with Thanos controller I think his controller can be modded easy to feed a single sabertooth 2x25 which will do 24v at 50amps peak on each motor channel this is a monster power controller. Should be plenty enough to shift a small elephant. 3DoF for your project no good unless you program, I've been at it 4month solid, I'm getting there but not quite yet but I am a designer and perfectionist. I aim to make it adaptable to many platform setups in the longrun (user requested).
  6. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I think the 12volt motors look like they will do the job. Aldoz and Eaorobbie have proved that so far. Aldoz is running a 3DOF with 12 volt winches and the famous jrk controllers.
    The thanos controller is good, but there is no code for it , so you would have to write your own code. As for modding it, unless you are an engineer of some sort, good luck on that one.
  7. value1

Balance:
    14,463Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,318 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Today for the first time I drove up the Klausenpass with my 1DoF sim :D
    It finally moves back and forth with me in the seat and the 40 screen in front. What a feeling! Still needs some tweaking of the settings – and the roll axis…
    The 12V winch works great in combination with the Jrk. The bicycle chain drive probably needs changing at a later stage.
    I will post some pictures later.
  8. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,910Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    It seems to me a belt would work better than a chain?

yobuddy
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    groovy..............
  10. value1

Balance:
    14,463Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,318 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Here some video footage.
    At this stage the joyrider is very much a proof of concept. The Jrk is fantastic easy, all the components work nicely together, the winch can handle the ±36° up and down easily (18-20 A consumption max. so far)!
    Several things will need adjustment:
    • The gear ratio of the drive must be lower, i.e. the movements are too slow.
    • The backlash is hilarious. The bicycle chain is not the most efficient way to drive this platform. A timing belt might be better.
    • The computer needs an upgrade. The poor little Pentium®4 @ 3 GHz with rFactor @ 1920x1080, x-sim Sender and Profiler running is by far overloaded :cry:
    • The second axis must be constructed. A 1DoF is not worth the effort – although it's quite impressive how much more you feel like driving with the movement.
    • Tidy up the cables and paint the rosty steel…
    More to come…
    :D

Picture1.png
    Picture2.png
    • Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice job there...well done.
    If I can make a suggestion without hijacking the thread too much, I would suggest a little re-engineering. The inside frame is possibly too high up and the motion may be slowing from the height. I found this out myself when I built mine .
    [​IMG]
    What I had to do was lower the inside frame so the weight balance was better. I had mine high up like your as well and got slow motion.
    It was not spot on, but I got it to move with wipers quite well. see video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKAcXtnxHXU
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. BartS

BartS Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    Congratulations your moving.

I would like to share some important safety advice.

Please for your own safety cover that chain up should it snap there may be blood. Or if your coat was to get caught in it bad things may happen.

So just knock up a tin or aluminum cover and all will be well.

Once again well done.
  13. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,540Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    listen to bsft advice,lower youre frame before the second axis comes in
    great work
  14. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  15. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,540Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    Yes It,s importend to keep the simulator balanced on booth axis
    BSFT You don,t need to thank me
    regards Ad
  16. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What? no mdf wood?
  17. value1

Balance:
    14,463Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,318 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    First of all thank you all for your good suggestions! It's very helpful having these discussions!
    I was thinking of adding some safety cover for the drive once finalised. But you're totally right – I will add a cover immediately.
    The reasoning behind having the axis below the platform was that I want to have the movements as uniform as possible. In the traditional design the head is moving to the left while the feet are moving to the right (roll axis) and the head is moving forward while the butt is moving backwards (pitch axis). As a nice side effect of the chosen design the feet are not being moved as quickly and strongly. This apparently is an issue with the FD301
    Let me see how the winches and optimised drives work. I'll keep you posted ;)

I must admit that I'm a little concerned about the intrinsic instability of the platform due to this design. In case of failure of a drive (chain) the platform will tilt hard to a side or back/forth. I’m considering installing couplers like these – unfortunately they are a little expensive. Similar clutches are widely used in cars for the A/C compressoraffordably priced – but the wrong way round: freely moveable during power-off, closed under voltage.
    Any suggestions welcome!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK then, perhaps set up the winches so they drive a pushrod on the edge set up as opposed to a chain on the pivot point.
    Hijack thread time.......
    position the winch motors so they push/pull with as much leverage as possible, like for the outside frame, at the edge, [​IMG]

and the inside frame at the back of the seat, [​IMG]
    This way you will get better and stronger movement, just make a lever to weld/bolt on the the gearing.
    Otherwise, I appreciate you are trying to go down a different design path, (goodness knows I am constantly changing something), so if you cannot lower the inside frame to get the balance pivot point (your belly button area) as low as you can, then work on a way of moving that frame as best you can, hence suggestions above as per the photos , yes I know I had wipers on mine. Winches could be set up similar ways.
    Go hard! Prove us all wrong! :D
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. value1

Balance:
    14,463Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,318 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    LOL! Thanks bsft for your detailed help. I will certainly digest and consider! :)
  20. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,540Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    My advice: go bsft way
    dont forget the reaction time from those clutches, they must be very fast!
    • Winner Winner x 1