1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Good motors for joyrider roller coaster sim

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by SpaceKaseJase, Apr 11, 2016.

1. SpaceKaseJase

SpaceKaseJase Member

Balance:
    277Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Joyrider
    Another garden variety noob here. Thought I'd join to get some good info and possibly help others along the way. My son an I made the joyrider frame last year and are finally ready to motorize it as a roller coaster sim. I've spent countless hours looking up wiper motors (best bang for your buck), but cannot get any definitive answer as to brands or specs. I understand I probably need a 12v motor, but do not know what amperage or torque I need. The Nissan B11 motor Thanos used on his joyrider is perfect, but I cannot find it nor a comparable one to purchase. Thinking bout spending roughly $50 apiece. Have about $450 to spend altogether to complete the simulator. Looking for information or links to information on which motors to use. Tried the FAQ, but haven't found anything yet. Thanks in advance.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. cgodwin

cgodwin Active Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    2,478Coins
    Ratings:
    +278 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    I have a Joyrider type sim which uses Bodine 42BEPM-E3 motors. These are 41 RPM, which is slow for other types of sims, but seem fast enough for a Joyrider. My motors are 1/4 HP, and 35 NM of torque coming off the gears. Unfortunately the used stock of these specific motors on Ebay are sold out. I haven't seen a close equivalent on Ebay recently, but that isn't the only source for motors.

Having probably at least 20 NM of torque is important. A lot of these motors are in the 150W to 200W range, so a motor with that kind of power should be fine with the right gearbox. There are variables with where you attach the motor to the frames that will change what the ideal motor would be. It also matters if this will be for flight sim only or racing also. Ideal movement for racing is faster than for flying. With a lightweight frame that is well balanced, you could probably go with faster motors than my 41 RPM. I don't seem to be anywhere close to maxing out my motors, so I could have traded less torque for more speed.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. BondeX

BondeX Active Member

EE
    Balance:
    1,515Coins
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. SpaceKaseJase

SpaceKaseJase Member

Balance:
    277Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thank you for the useful info. I also looked into the Bodines and you are correct about their availability. I would like to use pulleys amd belts to drive the gimbal and cockpit. I saw a setup whereby the motor and pulley sat just below and behind the seat (centered) and a belt attached to either side of the gimbal. The other belt/motor/pulley assembly is just like Thanos'--attached to the front of the gimbal. Do you know of any comparable wiper motors as the Bodines?

Thanks to you too, BondeX. Unfortunately thise are a little out of my price range. I've got about $450 to spend for all electronics and mounting hardware.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  5. SpaceKaseJase

SpaceKaseJase Member

Balance:
    277Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Sorry for double-posting. It seems the way to go for my budget is truck wiper motors. Was looking at some Nissan titan motors which do fit my budget. Problem is, it is very difficult--nigh impossible--to determine the specs on these motors (i.e. voltage, torque, amperage). How can I determine if these--or any--wiper motors are good for my simulator? Once again, it will be a roller coaster motion simulator using belt drives.
  6. SpaceKaseJase

SpaceKaseJase Member

Balance:
    277Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I think I've figured it out! Basically, I have been looking for the exact or comparable wiper motors for Thanos' joyrider since his video shows good performance. In another post, I found that someone actually asked Thanos what motor he used, with his response being a 1985 Nissan B11 (I verified this by a picture of the motor on his former website). After doing some further research, I found out that the B11 is also called the Sunny, which is the European/South American version of the Nissan Sentra.

A buddy of mine gave me two websites that sell car parts, and each has rebuilt versions of 1985 Nissan Sentra wiper motors, and they run $41-$71 (close to my budget)! The companies that rebuilt them are Beck/Arnley and A-1 Cardone. Hope these work.

Lmkwyt