1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Ego's SimforceGT vers.2 with SCN5 + special features

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by egoexpress, Mar 9, 2009.

1. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Hey guys,

I've started last weekend with my rig, finally. I decided to weld it this time, as it adds some freedom in design issues. As well it is somehow more solid and cheaper.
    But the noise of the angle grinder is definatly a CON, comparing to the use of aluminum extrusions :brows:

I took cockpit measurements of my old BMW E36, to get a realistic feeling in the seat. As well I took the seat sliders to make the pedal mount adjustable, as the seat will (has to) stay fixed. I will add wheel adjustment later, if needed.

Tomorrow I will hopefully be able to finish the mounting of the bearings, steering column and pedal mounts.

Btw, I've hunted an automatic welding helmet for ~30Euro including shipping, and it is really worth the money.

Regards
    Christian

Update 30.04.2009:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENouzRWY_Ow
  2. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Re: Ego's SimforceGT vers.2 with SCN5 and some special features

I like the idea of using seat sliders for the pedals!

:thbup:
  3. Michael N.

Michael N. Member

Balance:
    611Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Ohh, build a Rig of steel, nice :) .
    I`m using in my Rig Seat Sliders for the Pedals too. That`s a good solution
  4. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

Some progress...

image004.jpg
    image005.jpg
    image008.jpg
    image009.jpg
    image010.jpg
    image011.jpg
    image012.jpg

Regards
  5. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

image003.jpg
    image004.jpg
    image005.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
  6. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

I like the steering mount mechanism. I have been working on something similiar for the SimXperience II. My concern is that the additional weight will reduce the feedback effects. Have you had a chance to try it with the additional moving mass? Also, I have been considering the possibility of upgrading the G25 internals to accomodate the mass of a real wheel, steering column, etc..

I switched out to a real Momo wheel on the G25 with no issues on the SimXperience I but haven't had time for testing of a steering column yet. I want to do this though for the sake of adjustability.

Good work!

:cheers:
  7. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

Thanks

For those who dont know why I have built the steering column mod. There are several advantages, barring the efforts to build it. In case the system is free of tension (very important), the forces applied to the wheel base are reduced just to rotational movements. All pushing and pulling on the wheel will be absorbed by the bearings, which will increase the lifetime of the wheelbase, as less stress is applied to the plastic axle, which causes noticable play after some hours of driving (I did experienced this with my old Logitech MOMO).
    And with this mod I dont have to fear that my friends could damage the device by holding themselves on the wheel while taking place in the sim, or while stepping out ;D
    As well it adds a more solid steering feeling (does not feel that much like plastic).
    Ok, and it looks cool of course, hehe...

The wheel diameter and bearing frictions are the most important factors. Fortunatly the Victor F1 has the same size like the G25 and I am using an aluminium tube as steering rod. Fortunatly as well is that the weight of the Victor F1 is just slightly higher than the G25 stock wheel. So additional weight should be no issue, as the wheel is turning very slowly.
    So the only thing that adds the need of additional torque is the friction of the two UCP bearings IMO. But I have lubed them with WD-40, and the momentum they need to turn is impressively low. It needs much more force to move the wheel hub on the G25.
    As well there is no stick-slip movement at all :thbup:
    Only weak point are the G25 plastic end stops still...

I probably will be able to test is tomorrow. I need to add just on more supporting tube under the G25 to fix it, and then it is ready for testing. Even if the shiftpadel unit isnt ready yet, I will be able to test the turn behaviour.
    But as the bearings lubed well, I guess the mod will behave as expected.

Regards
  8. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

Btw, the UCP bearings are fixing the rod with grub screws. Just in case you wondered how the axial forces would get absorbed in the bearings ;)
  9. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

DSCF2429.JPG

Encounterd a problem with the adapter plates. They have been cutted with a bandsaw, and the face surfaces are not parallel engough, which causes some deflection in alignment and tension in the end.

Now I will give them to a friend, who reworks them with a lathe.

I know that the 2 bearings and the wheelbase are an overdetermined bearing system. But in case the face surfaces of the adapter plates will be parallel, I will be able to reduce the tension to an acceptable minimum.

I will continue with the seat and actuators now.

Regards
  10. Schnullerbacke

Schnullerbacke New Member

Photographer / Videographer
    Balance:
    369Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hey - great job so far, looks pretty good :thbup: !

That's a cool wheel mod - I've seen your concerning thread about it. I'm interested in those wheel mods, 'cause I'm about to plan my own one: Momo 27c or 12c with additional buttons and - maybe - a custom made cnc adaptor with new paddles... I recognized today (while playing LFS), that there are too less buttons on the original G25 - I have to change this immediately :yes: !

I'm very keen on seeing the first video of your wheel and welded rig in action !!!

One question's left: Are these seat sliders really strong attached in their relative position or can they (resp. the pedal base) still move a little bit ? When I was building my rig, I had used seat sliders, but unfortunately they haven't been strong enough... they were kinda worn out.

Bye,
    Chris
  11. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

They are rock solid :thbup:

Is your car seat in your car shaking while driving as well, btw? :D

Try to move the sliders a little against each others (some washers on both mountings of one slider) in order to reduce play.

Regards
    Christian
  12. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,957 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT

Hi Chris,

i already know your great steering mod from your simforceGT, but in your self-welded frame it looks much more realistic and cooler 8)

One question: Why you decided to build a adjustable pedalset and not easily use the ready adjustable seat construction? Are there further advantages except that the modified pedal set needs no scn5 adjustment and seat movement needs it?
  13. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

Nonsens, the seat has to stay fixed in balance. Using the seat sliders would move the seat out of balance.
  14. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

Some progress...

Motion frame with SCN5s added today.

DSCF2447.JPG
    DSCF2448.JPG

I have not been able to reduce the tension in the wheel shaft construction. So the next step is to add the 2 crossjoints from a Volkswagen universal joint (steering column) shaft which I have gathered via ebay for 15Euro.

I noticed some play in the connection of the rod ends and the screw which fixes them. I will try to use some screws with long shaft and short thread to see if I can reduce it.
    I should have used some angle rod ends like BvillersJr. However, I will try to get it working with the parts I already have now.

Regards
    Christian
  15. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

Never mind, just forgotten to thighten all screws well :brows:

Btw, does anyone of you guys have a BMW E36 with manual gearbox? I have hard times to find the correct pedal distances, as my one has automatic gearbox with just 2 pedals.
    I have not been able to find this info in the net, and didnt wanted to register in another forum just because of this question.

So would be nice if someone could tell me the distances in steps starting from the right side wall to to the accelleration pedal.

Regards
  16. Schnullerbacke

Schnullerbacke New Member

Photographer / Videographer
    Balance:
    369Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I've just put the request into our company board.
    As soon as I get the information and measurements, I will forward it to you.

Unfortunately I only have some interiors from a E36 left, but not the pedal distances...

best regards,
    Chris
  17. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

Cardan joint with new adapter plates finished today...

G25 Kardanwelle.jpg

Regards
    Christian
  18. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

DSCF2466.jpg
    DSCF2471.jpg

I am pretty happy with the result so far. No angle derivations and all parts fit very well together now.
  19. Michael N.

Michael N. Member

Balance:
    611Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Hallo Christian,
    ganz schön massiv deine Lenkung :brows: . Wie sieht es denn mit dem Forcefeddback aus?. Kommt da noch was gescheites an bzw. schaffen das die Motoren vom G25 noch?.
    Wie sieht es mit dem Spiel aus?, sind ja doch einige Umlenkpunkte und etwas Spiel ensteht ja immer dabei.
  20. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

Das sind Kreuzgelenke aus einer Kfz Lenkstange. Absolut kein Spiel. Fühlt sich auch richtig gut an. :thbup:

FF werde ich bald testen.

Gruss