1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Bleco's 2DOF SCN5 racing simulator

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by bleco, Aug 27, 2010.

1. MasterYoda

MasterYoda Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Good job, Bleco!

You know that increasing the image size will increase the projected car size too, right?
    Increasing the FOV in this case will just make you look far from the steering wheel, tho.

I believe a 100-120 image width to be life size right, but with 2-3 projectors at least with corrected FOV... There is a tight correlation between FOV and image width.

Cheers,

MY
  2. bleco

bleco Member Gold Contributor

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi MY,

Correct, increasing the image size will increase the projected car size too ... I will do some size/FOV tests ...

Increased FOV also results in higher speed sensation. I would like a combination of both size/FOV to get a very similar object size but with slightly higher FOV.

I don't think I will need more PJ's to obtain what I want ... well for now ;-)
    I already have a very good result with 76'' diagonal with this 16:9 PJ. I don't think I will go higher then 85-100'' to get the effect I want.

Regards,

Bleco
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. splendiddd

splendiddd Active Member

CCTV security
    Balance:
    807Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    Good choice on using a pj Bleco!
    I had a similar setup some time ago, the immersion is very good on a screen that size, i used a 110inch screen size and was about 2.5 meters or more (eyepoint) away from it. Did you also know that if you press the shift-bracket keys in IRacing you can adjust the height of your view? i use it a lot on different cars, sadly IRacing does not save this view seperatly for every car like the controls...

Cheers
  4. bleco

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi Splendiddd,

Yes I knew this option fonctionality, I play with display height and FOV a lot ... I have mapped 4 buttons on my fanatec wheel for this.

These settings are stored in the file named app.ini in C:\Users\%usernane%\Documents\iRacing in Win 7 and like you mentionned, it's a general setting unfortunately ... :thbd: But it as been mentionned a couple of times in iRacing feature suggestions forum ... Maybe a futur update ? ...

I use pretty much the same display height for all the cars I drive but I use different FOVs for open wheelers and road cars. Not sure it's a good thing however since road perspective, cornering etc... will be impacted by changing the FOV ...

I really like the immersion with a 16:9 projector, can't wait to receive my screen!

Bleco
  5. MasterYoda

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Wait till you try a well adjusted triple-head... There will be no way back, my friend.

I had an electric screen to sell you for 1/2 the price... But, you are too fast my friend! ;-)
  6. bleco

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    hmmm ... next step would be a curved screen with 3x 1080p projectors! :yes:

My 3x 22'' lcd's lasted for about 6 month, my 47''lcd 2 months! Give me at least a couple of months before I buy 2 more PJ's!!

Why don't you send me a list a things you want to sell :lol: It would be easier like that!

+ the cheap screen I bought cannot be refund but only replaced ...

Bleco
  7. splendiddd

splendiddd Active Member

CCTV security
    Balance:
    807Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    I think 4:3 ratio triple pj are more then enough...if you use 16:9 you will need a pritty wide and large room :wacko:
  8. bleco

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    You are maybe right and I am not there yet ... :)

One thing very cool with AMD Eyefinity is that you can enable it on portrait mode ... :yes: But I am not sure if this would work with warpalizer or other multi projector edge blending software...

Bleco
  9. MasterYoda

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    I believe a curved screen with 2 x 16:9 Full HD might be the way to go... :)
  10. bleco

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Back to the topic ... :D

Here is a video running the Dallara @ Road America with the new projector setup, iSpeed and the motion cockpit view mod ... still projecting 76'' diagonal ... very immersive

Bleco
  11. bleco

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have rebuilt my simulator actuator geometry to make it more 'Simxperience style' or at least with the dimensions proposed by Bernard ;-) ... I am very happy with the results.

Due to my very initial design were the seat position was much higher, actuator angles were way too aggressive after I lowered the seat ... I did not have time and the necessary tools to adjust it right after so I decided to test it like that anyway ... It was not that bad but actuators position was not efficient when creating profiles ... I needed much more aggressive values to create the same feeling over a 'Simxperience style' geometry... I understand now why my profiles effects may have not feel good on other members simulator especially longitural effect ... I will adjust all my profiles and share soon ... I have also solidify the seat's T bar, very quiet now...

Here are some shots ... Sorry for the mess all around!

Sim angle mod 1 comp.jpg
    Sim angle mod 3 comp.jpg
    Sim angle mod 4 comp.jpg

Also I am now projecting an image of 100'' ... On this clip the motion cockpit view mod is enable with low intensity effects and modded cam settings ... I am in the car now! it's very immersive!

Bleco
  12. bleco

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Dallara @ Spa Francorchamps using very smooth motion profile

Bleco
  13. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Very nice bleco. Your actuator movements look much better now.
  14. bleco

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thx Mike!

I am getting there!

Bleco
  15. jscorrea

jscorrea New Member

Balance:
    391Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Congratulations!

You could report the measurements of your cockpit?

Thank you.
  16. Matthias

Matthias New Member SimAxe Beta Tester Gold Contributor

Balance:
    312Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Very very cool. I Love your Rig. I will also built it with the Aluminium profiles. My Problem is the Mount of the shaft under the seat. How do You die it. Person You have some pics for me ?
  17. Rinus janssens

Rinus janssens Active Member

environmental construction
    Balance:
    2,153Coins
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN5
    [​IMG]

Just two plates drill a hole in it or two on each side and then bolt it to the alu frame. Just as simple.
  18. Rinus janssens

Rinus janssens Active Member

environmental construction
    Balance:
    2,153Coins
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN5
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  19. xikilin

xikilin New Member

Balance:
    353Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello, Bleco!

I tried to contact you trough PM, but som error occurred (says it could be spam or some, but maybe it is because this is my first post)... so I'm trying contact you trough here.

My name is Helder and I'm from Portugal. I found your simulator searching on google and came here... and I apreciated it to much!

Congratulations for it, it has really nice apearence and contruction quality.

I'm interested in building some like that. The problema is I'm completely new on this. I don't have too much free time to research... and the electronic parts are the most complicated.
    So I would ask your help for building one like yours. Can you help me?

At first, I would ask you for the exact equipment of your Simulator (like actuators brand/models, power supplyer(s), electronic board(s)) and then some instructions on wireing and testing the equipment before mounting.

I found this topic, which I think shows some of the electronic material I nead. But since it's all new to me, I would ask your help. For me, your exact Simulator is perfect.
    Can you help me?

If so, to not take much of your time, I would suggest to go through steps:
    - first you tell me the equipment you used to build (actuator, etc.), so I try to find that on the market;
    - next step the wireing;
    - then, the connection to the pc and games configuration

If you suggest some modification to the equipment you used, please tell.

I really would appreciate that!

Thank you!

Helder