1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Bleco's 2DOF SCN5 racing simulator

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by bleco, Aug 27, 2010.

1. hoggyjay

hoggyjay New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Re: Finally my 2DOF SCN5 racing simulator

Hi Bleco,
    Great looking rig. I am after mounting details concerning the actuators. I can't decide if I am better ordering the simxperience mounts at $300 or using aluminium profile. If you could answer the questions I have it would make my decision easier.

1) How did you mount the actuator to the aluminium channel? (please remember I have never seen one in the flesh).
    2) Where did you get the actuator rod end and clevis pins?

All the best
    Hoggyjay
  2. bleco

bleco Member Gold Contributor

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Hi hoggyjay,

Sorry for the delay ... I should have updated this topic a while ago ... My sim rig as changed a lot since ... I will post some new pics soon...

To mount the actuators on the 8020 alu profiles, I have used other type of aluminium 'U' extrusions that you can find in plane constructions. I have a contact who works for Bombardier here in canada. I only had to drill the holes that fitted the actuators mounting brackets ... Mounted this way, the actuators rods stays on the same straight axis as the actuators bottom arms rod.

You can find the M10x1.25 tie rod ends and many other usefull parts for your simulator here:

http://us.misumi-ec.com/

Bleco
  3. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

You can purchase mounting brackets for the SCN5's at time of purchase and all that is required its that you drill holes in the standard aluminum profiles and use nuts and bolts to mount. The mounting is very simple of you have access to a drill press to ensure that the holes are straight.

I would recommend the SimXperience actuator covers if you can afford them.

The SimXperience covers provide a lot more than just a way to mount the actuators, they also provide very critical dampening which is adjustable. Dampening will improve the overall feel of the simulator and also help to prolong the life of your actuators.

...Mike
  4. Silly(c)One

Silly(c)One New Member

ex-Web & Industrial Dev/Sysadmin
    Balance:
    327Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hello there,

Very nice setup... :thbup:
    Any pics of your updated setup ?

I'm building my own 2DOF at the moment, and your initial design inspired me a lot... I didn't like the stabilizer rods solution, so I went for a U-joint and was happy to see the same system applied on a working sim with Alu Profiles. Clean welding, btw ! (this was my first job with arc welding, lots of fun but messy welds :lol:)

I have a few questions for you :

1. How did you calculate your actuator arms angles ? Why so wide ? What are the benefits or issues ?
    2. Are you happy with your dampening solution ? Does it give you a soft or hard suspension ?
    3. Did you hook up your screens to the frame, eventually ? Any stability issues ?
    I was thinking to do the same initially, but rather went with an independent mount on wheels (still alu profiles) so I can adjust the screen position (it's also my TV and computer screen, a 42 Toshiba right behind the wheel for a nice immersion ;)).
    I'll post some pics later to illustrate my words...

Cheers,

Silly(c)One.
  5. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Hello Silly(c)One,

This post should be able to point you in the right direction when it comes to actuator angles.

building-a-proper-motion-base-for-scn5-s-t2216.html

....Mike
  6. bleco

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Hey Silly(c)One!

Thx for your comments! :cheers:

I am very glad if my simulator inspired you :)

For actuator angles I used Bernard's tips provided in previous Ledfoot's link ... Your related questions will be answered there ...

As for my setup it is still under development, I have some parts to order to complete it ...

The monitors are still on that crappy table! :D ... I am also questionning myself about potential stability issues ... Not sure yet if they will be linked to the reat of the frame ...

I don't have the playseat anymore, I switch over a G-Force racing seat. The playseat was to hard ...

I also sold the G25 and I am now using a Fanatec GT3 wheel with clubsport pedals.

I like my dampening solution and I think it's working very well with agressive profiles. But I am also thinking about addind some extra dampening ... the more is better ...

Pics will come soon ... I don't have much time to work on my rig ... unfortunatelly.

Please share your work in a separated topic, I would like to see your 42 inch screen FOV ;D. I love my 3x monitor setup but I am sometimes thinking about getting a single big screen instead for many reasons like GPU performance, general programs compatibility issues... It's also my personnal computer ...

Regards

Bleco
  7. Silly(c)One

Silly(c)One New Member

Balance:
    327Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes, that was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again Ledfoot for that invaluable link ! (it should even be on the X-Sim frontpage ;))

Aaaah, another fellow Fanatec convert ?
    I couldn't be more pleased with my 911 Turbo S + Clubsport pedals !
    Even better, the FFB of the Fanatec wheels can be managed by X-Sim (G25 users are still waiting for the plugin ;O)

I have 3 different dampener pairs : a windsurf thingy (4.5cm wide, 5.5cm tall) quite springy and 2 pairs of silent blocks 40mm diameter, 20mm and 30mm tall. Will make experiments once the SCN5 arrived (still at belgian customs, the taxes will be high :()

I will soon, my Nikon batteries are charging right now :p

I must admit I'm still hesitating with a triple screen setup (with an ATI 5850)...
    The best would be a triple 42 setup, but that's 2300€ for the 2 additional 42, the ATI 5850 and the i7 + mobo + RAM :eek: It's nice to still have dreams though ;)
    More affordable would be to get the ATI with a 27 as central screen + 2x 23 (I have one already). Still 700€ though.
    Money should grow out of trees...

Cheers,
    Silly(c)One.
  8. bleco

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Hi Silly(c)One!

For the moment you can't mix different monitor sizes with Eyefinity ... maybe in a futur catalyst release ... It wil work if you set them all with the same higher resolution but it will not look good...

I also love my GT3 wheel, FFB is strong, wheel is very quiet and the alcantara leather and wheel grip is just amazing! Also the clubsport pedals are just great for heel and toe.

Looking forward to see your setup!

Bleco
  9. Silly(c)One

Silly(c)One New Member

Balance:
    327Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the the tip about Eyefinity... damn that only leaves an intermediary with 3x 32 LCD TVs ;)

Here is the start of my thread on my build : silly-c-one-s-first-2dof-scn5-racing-sim-t2753.html

Cheers,
    Silly(c)One.
  10. bleco

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Hey guys!

Very long time since I updated this thread so here are some newer shots of my sim...

- Replaced the 3x22'' Asus monitors for a single 47'' full HD 120hz LG LCD. (changed my mind about 3x screen setup :yes: )
    - Replaced the G25 for a Fanatec GT3 rs V2 with Clubsport pedals and shifters set
    - Replaced the Playseat for a G-Force racing seat
    - Rebuild front end of the simulator to install the wheel and integrate the pedals to the frame

That's about it for now ... Feel free to comment

18-12-2010 024.jpg
    18-12-2010 025.jpg
    18-12-2010 026.jpg
    18-12-2010 028.jpg

Bleco
  11. Silly(c)One

Silly(c)One New Member

Balance:
    327Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice updates, mate :clap:

So, what's best : 3x 22 or a single 47 ? Are you planning on the 3x 47 ? ;)
  12. bleco

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I don't think I will go back to 3 monitors setup unless the technology evoluate a lot...

My 3x22'' did the job for a couple of months but I wanted to try something else ... Large screens are much better to represent a realistic car interior and for good road and sky vision...
    I have a lot more fun racing on my 47'' single screen ... The FOV is much more realistic and I feels like I am actually sitting in the car.

I am not planning to go 3x47''. I really don't like the way side panels looks on large triple monitors setups in a racing sim cockpit view... The image ratio is way to big and stretched...

Maybe in a couple of years if we are able to adjust side panel ratios, we are not there yet ...

I also would like to try a projector ...

Bleco
  13. bleco

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    In action ... iRacing Lotus 79 at Spa

Bleco
  14. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Profile, speed and accelleration settings looking good to me.

regards
  15. bleco

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Thx for your comment! I will share a profile pack very soon ...

Bleco
  16. Deleted member 4120

Deleted member 4120

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    nice video :) and gread simulator !!!
  17. Silly(c)One

Silly(c)One New Member

Balance:
    327Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice vid, mate ! :clap:

Back to iRacing, huh ? ;)

The Lotus seems nice, I shall give it a try after mastering the FW31 on Spa of course (I am belgian after all :cheers: )

I think I'll follow your idea about the screens... I'll ditch the triple screen setup for an HD projector.
    Since I moved in with my brother, I've been playing Dirt2 on the XBOX with the PWTS on a 6' wide wall and I must admit size DOES matter after all ; the 42 LCD TV seems unrealistic compared to the real life size of cars with a projector...

Cheers,
    Silly(c)One.
  18. bleco

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi Silly(c)One,

yes I always get back to iRacing ! it's just the most realistic sim out there ... period ...

The Lotus79 is an incredible car but they should rework the FFB ... I sometimes feel that I loose contact with the road in corners. But the sound is amazing and the H-gate shifter is a blast to use with it!

I really enjoy my 47'' lcd but next step for me is also a projector... and yes size does really matter for immersion. Maybe a 6 monitors setup would be great but the sides stretching and the bezels are real turn off's even the smaller ones...

Regards,

Bleco
  19. Silly(c)One

Silly(c)One New Member

Balance:
    327Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The problem with 3 or 6 screens setup is performance, 2 or 3 way SLI/CfX is needed... Also if you weren't happy with triple screens ratios, imagine fine tuning 6 of them !!! ;)
    I was tempted to go with 3D projection, but polarized HD is too expensive and 3D Vision not in HD (also I'd need to switch gfx card when I just got my new 6970...)

Cheers,
    Silly(c)One.
  20. bleco

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I finally sold my 47'' lcd and bought the very cheap Vivitek H1080FD full HD projector. I am very impressed with the image quality for a 799$ PJ ...

This is another big step toward realism ... Real size objects ... Wow!

Here is a shot just to give you an idea (sorry very poor quality). The image is 76'' diagonal and projected directly on a yellow painted wall. I will receive my 100'' screen this week. I think 85 to 100'' would be just perfect with a higher FOV.

Sim Projector 006.jpg

Bleco