1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tutorial SMC3 Arduino 3DOF Motor Driver and Windows Utilities

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by RufusDufus, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Playsimulator

Playsimulator Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    178Coins
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    Hello,

do you an example of wiring with Simtools+Arduino Uno+ 3Driver Leadshine EL5-D1000-1.
  2. fzxj520

fzxj520 Active Member

Balance:
    1,341Coins
    Ratings:
    +88 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    thank you very much! I probably understand
  3. kimballfount

kimballfount Member

Balance:
    879Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    SMC3 and Simtools are communicating and moving the rig correctly, but my motor isn't responding to the game. The lights on the arduino are twinkling as if it's receiving data, and the game manager says its connected to the game. I'm only using one motor, is this an issue? My regional settings are correct (as I hear this is a common cause of this issue). The only thing I can think of that I might be messing up is my axis configuration...
  4. kimballfount

kimballfount Member

Balance:
    879Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    I hope this doesnt add confusion to my issue, I'm not sure it's related, but on occasion when the sketch loads it reads " Avrdude stk500 get synk():not in sync 0x00". I have to reset the arduino and rerun it a few times to not get the alert. Another thing I noticed is that when the game starts my motors high pitch frequency sound stops.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Kirk

Kirk Member

Sr Software Engineer
    Balance:
    15,087Coins
    Ratings:
    +114 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor
    The STK500 sync message is, unfortunately, pretty common with Arduino if it's using the serial port to xfer data to the PC. What's happening is the Arduino boot loader is watching for a magic message to know to go into firmware update mode, but mixed in with the message is Arduino data. You can also get this message if you are running a U type Arduino chip (the ones with built-in USB, like the Leonardo or Teensy, if the Arduino code doesn't return to Loop often enough (solution for those is ALWAYS press reset right before firmware update).

It happens far less often on a Uno (dedicated USB chip), but as I said, it can still happen if the Arduino code sends and receives data right as the sync is happening.

For the ultimate in hair pulling, try the ESP8266 where it won't update unless you have a note signed in triplicate from both your mothers priest and a death cult. I swear, half the chip is dedicated to ensure you didn't forge the signatures on that note... :)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. kimballfount

kimballfount Member

Balance:
    879Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    lol thanks...and as far as the game not working with the motors? Any suggestions? Can only using one motor be messing me up?
  7. Kirk

Kirk Member

Sr Software Engineer
    Balance:
    15,087Coins
    Ratings:
    +114 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor
    The Arduino can't actually "see" a motor, only the value of the POT that reflects the motors position, ergo, if you placed a cheap pot on the second input, and manually twisted it, the software would think there is a second motor, and that it was moving.

I didn't see anything that would preclude it from functioning if only one motor was present, but I didn't look extensively.

If you had a scope, you could check the PWM from the Arduino, but I'm assuming you don't. So, A cute trick to determine duty cycle w/o a scope is an LED. If you connect an LED to the PWM pin (and ground), it will glow brighter for a longer duty cycle and less bright for a lower duty cycle. If it doesn't glow at all, try reversing the LED before thinking your Arduino is out to lunch.

I would verify the Arduino is outputting PWM on the pin you have connected to your motor controller.

OK, It's outputting PWM as you expect. On the motor controller, ensure your R_EN and L_EN pins are connected correctly, and that you have actual voltage going to both sides of the board (motor voltage on the motor side, and +5V from Arduino on the digital side.

If you have a voltage meter, disconnect the motor and check the voltage on the pins that would have gone to the motor (while PWM is running). Do you see voltage?

If you see voltage, use your meter to check the resistance of your motor. Does it read 0.00 or infinite resistance? (if so, bad motor. A broken or shorted coil will read open or short on a voltage meter in resistance mode).

Anyway, that'll narrow it down to where exactly the problem is.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. kimballfount

kimballfount Member

Balance:
    879Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    The motors run correctly with the SMC Utilities software and Simtools, so this tells me everything is wired up correctly and nothing should be baked as of yet. The audible tone of the motor lowers, almost goes away when the game launches (not sure of the relevance). Something in my gut is telling me this is some sort of retarded mistake regarding patching or how I have my axes configured.
  9. minanke

minanke New Member Gold Contributor

Developer
    Balance:
    - 324Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Just in case, did you Capture Max Min in the Tuning centre?
  10. kimballfount

kimballfount Member

Balance:
    879Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    What do you mean?
  11. minanke

minanke New Member Gold Contributor

Developer
    Balance:
    - 324Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    For each game, you have to use the tuning centre to capture or you set the Min and Max values that a game can produce. If I recall correctly, the default values are some very big numbers that may cause what you are experiencing now.

You can check this page for details
    http://www.xsimulator.net/tuning-centre/
  12. kimballfount

kimballfount Member

Balance:
    879Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    I went to the tuning center and tried to capture new max and minimums, but the game wasnt sending any data to it.
  13. insanegr

insanegr !N$@n€

Balance:
    16,715Coins
    Ratings:
    +499 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    if SMC3 and Simtools have motion then you are going fine so far

it seems like you have not made a profile for the game.
  14. kimballfount

kimballfount Member

Balance:
    879Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    I just had to run it as Administer, seems to be working now. Thanks guys
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. tomkil192

tomkil192 Member

Balance:
    - 25Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hello everyone.
    I had finally got time to come back with my hobby.
    Is that motor noise normal in ''zero''position?
    SMC3 Utility - Square out mode.

Im sorry for unprofessional pot bracket :):)
  16. kimballfount

kimballfount Member

Balance:
    879Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    I'm up and running again.

I'm new here, but yeah I'm pretty sure it is. You can dim the frequency of the noise by increasing the FPID to 2 and or the FPWM up to 35 on the Utilities software. The noise my sim produces disappears when the game loads
  17. tomkil192

tomkil192 Member

Balance:
    - 25Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    well done. Thanks.
    for me works fpid2 and frwm 20 - noise gone!! :)
  18. kimballfount

kimballfount Member

Balance:
    879Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Smoked the H-bridge. The increase in KD and PWM cooked he :(

Is their an H-Bridge that can handle more current then the BTS7960 that works with SMC preferably mode 2. I've read about a version of the LBT-2 that can handle 68a, but I've heard it's the same as the 48a but it can just handle peaks a bit longer. I'm running a 500w motor. 24v*20a
  19. Kirk

Kirk Member

Sr Software Engineer
    Balance:
    15,087Coins
    Ratings:
    +114 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor
    Surprised that happened. A N watt motor will typically peak at about double before stall, but that's still a bit under the rated current for the IBT-2.

Probably the cheapest way to go would be to run a pair of IBT-2 boards in parallel (PWM and enables duplicated between the boards, so that the FETs have matching On/Off intervals).

I wouldn't put faith in a board that uses the same chips but is rated at a higher current. Yes, a higher quality heat sink will allow it to survive larger currents, but it would still suffer increased electromigration (the die is only designed to move N current, pushing more, over time, will effect it chemically. After enough change, it shorts [fused junctions], and very quickly after that, the junctions break open [if lucky]. Electromigration happens regardless, it's accounted for in the MTBF, but pushing the silicon over rated capacity has a parabolic impact on how fast it becomes a problem. This is an issue with any doped system, not just silicon.).
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. dedas

dedas Active Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    - 26Coins
    Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi there, did you realy smoked the H-bridge :(. because i'm using the same IBT-2 with heavy load
    They will fail (spikes) but in my case it was the 74HC244 buffer chip, replaced it and it works fine. IBT's don't get hot just warm on heavy load is my experience.
    And yes they are cheap :rolleyes:
    • Like Like x 1