1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Anyone use car amps for running transducers ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic - All other stuff here' started by f1iceman, Nov 17, 2015.

1. f1iceman

f1iceman Why So Serious ? ( The Joker )

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    Just looking into powering my aura tranducers and was thinking car amps straight away as they can handle low bass noproblem.
    Also they run seperate channels i have a loverly dca800 old school amp, which is 6ch at around the 65rms over each channel.
    Now any ideas what to power the blooming thing, i'm not sure what kind or amps it might draw running the transducers i have.
    Can it run off a PC Power Supply or even an Xbox Power Brick ?
    Anyhelp would be good to solve what clean power without too much noise would be great.

I have not seen any run for the system atm.
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Probably because you would need a power supply to run the amp. Give it a go and see if it works
  3. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    Thats what im not sure about as needs to be clean power dc but i don't know the formula for the reasonable match to the amp i guess.
    I don'ty mind powering stuff up if i can be about right but blowing up is not good when can be avoided with simple calculations i could work out with half a chance.
    But i think pc psu kick out 30 odd amps dc 12v.
    I was thinking i would need at least 100amp psu at 12v ?

I have everything to test i think well defo got some xbox power bricks. i also have some psu from my model car racing but they only 10amps.
    I will have it working tomoz n tested if i can get a rough idea of what psu amps i need to work the amp.
    Just need abit of help.
  4. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    If it works its a very cheap way especially if the power brick will do it.
  5. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    I was thinking of just what the fuses say on the amp and adding them up.
    Do transducers need as much power as an actual subwoofer in use.
  6. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    I think i found you devide the watts ? so 100w = 8.3amps so times that by how many watts your running eg 5x aura transducers =250w rms.
    So working on that it would be a 25 amp psu needed.
    I know it has to run but i don't know how hard it could be driven as not sure the actual drain from the auras. ( i'm guessing approx 4amps each).
    Now it a psu from a pc can be 40amps i'm onto a winner here as a way of using a good quality car amp with low distortion and good rms output with a clean power dc from a pc system psu.
    Would i not be thinking this is a good way to power the auras.
    You could even use 2 way amps and less powerful psu on each.
    I will be digging out things tomoz now hope to get info up asap on findings. just hope i can find my denon dca 800. but i do have about 10 amps from my Old school stuff ive held onto over the years.
    Even got an old top spec alpine snatch plate head unit ! lol
  7. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Car voltage is not exactly clean, its only because of filters in the device that cleans it up.
    If my brain is working right, to calculate usage, its volts / watts equals amps.
    So theoretically a 100 watt amp would need 8.3 amps to run it.
    So if you have a 40 amp PC PSU, that should run it as its not draining 8 amps all the time.
  8. Barry

Barry Active Member

Web Developer
    Balance:
    3,877Coins
    Ratings:
    +251 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    As I have learned you need to calculate the power draw taking the impedance into consideration as well.

Confuses the hell out of me.
  9. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    I'm up my workshop later will grab some amps and a cheap psu and hopefully test today on one aura see how it goes.
    Be nice3 to use the dca800 as thats 6ch amp so can run all the auras or run 4 and then have two left for abit of sound as i mainly use headphones but nice to have music playing when messing around with the system, and abit of noise if someone is watching.
  10. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    Just to add to this as car amps are 4ohm and the aura transducers are 4ohm i would say the rated amps on the amplifier should be enough to work on for the current to be draw as its all based on the 4ohm load i guess.
    It can not draw any more than the fuses else they blow, but how constant is a pc psu compared to say a car batter which has short burst of 300amps in reserve.
    Ha i have also realised i would need a varible bass controller so i have a volume control as the amps work from variable input, i could do something with the software i guess.
    Also its easy to a graphic eq to control the freq going into the transducer so be kinda tuning it. car stuff can be very cheap used aswell.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    right i have the amp, i have the aura transducer but not got power supply as yet from a pc can not find em atm, but i do have a 20 amp psu i use for charging model car lipos.
    i might give it a try with that but will have to find a diffremt amp as this one i got out was abit too powerful ! i didn't have time to choose at the time so grabbed the first one and didn't think about tthat.
    should be tested over week end tho.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    Still no time free :-( but planning again for the weekend to try this out, been a week now not been able to play with the sim things :-( soooooooo annoying tbh.
    I need to get the info on here as im sure it will be very helpful for everyone.
    Used psu that can do 32amps are very cheap so trying to get one of them as the psu for my rc car chargers i have is like £250 so not want to risk that.
    I have a cheap psu that is basically very crap but might get it working on low output then its down to the psu upgrade.
    i promis i will get this update asap.
  13. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    I have been looking into this more today and trying to find a solution for this option to use the car amps, the first step was 12v power and i think i have found the psu you can get cheap second hand :) thats 75 to 100amps for silly money.
    http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...ion/136501-high-powered-12v-power-supply.html
    that is the one and theres lots of info to convert them.
    i am going to buy one of these next week and get the job right so it can be classed as solved hopefully and be the option for powering the car amps to use transducers.
    just remember you would only need a psu and a car amp thats 4 ch/ 6ch to run all 4/5/6 transducers, so this could be great if it works.
    ther car amps have each chanel input on the one amp then so a one box cheap option, especially due to the amount second hand and the really good rms outputs.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015